The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: there's not a band of horses thr
PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 5:39 am 
AnalLog

"The Great Salt Lake" is better than all their other songs put together.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 5:42 am 
tl;dr

If it is, it's just because of all those songs from "Mirage Rock" with negative net value, dragging down the average.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 10:37 am 
A Return To Form

They really lost something after the dude with the lower register left after "everything" he went and formed a band called grand archives or something that had a great doing called sleep driving ( I think) the original EP version slays.

Everything all the time has some high points for sure, don't know if anything tops the meshing of harmonies and vocals wrapped around That cascading guitar line in "I go to the Barn"

Would love a high quality vinyl pressing of thus album, my original sounds like arse.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 2:29 pm 
The Master

I had no idea KD was such a racist

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 2:34 pm 
Poster of the Year

Oh, I knew.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 3:58 pm 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Hey, let me try this out...

Wow, arrogant rap music performed by black people.

Nope, doesn't quite have the same effect.

Yeah, but that's just because it sounds racist. Argumentatively it illustrates exactly the same type of cliche.

I have certainly been guilty of making this type of statement myself ("oh look, a bunch of bearded hippies, etc. etc."), but at some point one wonders if it isn't simply certain individuals' lots in life to create certain types of art. I once had the misfortune of reviewing a terrible CD by a rapper named MC Lars, who for all intents and purposes was Tom DeLonge in hip-hop form (the press kit called his particular brand of rap "nerdcore," and it sounded pretty much as you'd expect from the description). Credit where credit is due, were I to have passed him on the street, I would not have pegged him as a rapper -- perhaps an amateur skateboarder, or someone who works part-time at Journey's shoe store in the mall. In that sense, he defied my expectations -- he made a type of music that I wold not have expected someone who looked like him to make. But ultimately that quality was worthless in and of itself -- the music was crummy, and the guy sounded phony and out of his element. Sometimes borders are transcended and glass ceilings are shattered and it's a beautiful thing. But sometimes looking at five young bearded white males and being able to dream up a reasonable facsimile of their music in your mind before ever hearing a note of it simply means that the world is turning properly on its axis that day. At that point we can dispense with the superficial nonsense and assess the music as a series of notes, chords, words, and sounds, as it should be.

This is a terrific response, KD, and it's a perfect illustration of why I'd be voting for you as Best RM Poster of 2015, if only the ridleybradout collections didn't exist. Your posts are always thoughtful and often funny, and never contain the four evils of modern writing: cynicism, skepticism, sarcasm, and irony...

But you are wrong. :-P

The notion that it's somehow ok for a bunch of privileged white guys to follow a musical trend in pursuit of fame because that's just the way things are disgusts me. I also worked in the studio with a bunch of nerdcore artists; ditto alt-rock, Adele-style throwback, and even a genre called witch house. I have no problem with trends in-and-of-themselves; it's great when artists share ideas with other artists. But I would say that 99.99% of them are doing it for their egos. I met VERY few musicians who were doing it solely for the joy of creating.

And I'm not suggesting that capitalist art is bad. People need to get paid, and some people should be fortunate enough to get paid handsomely to work on art that somehow advances either the medium, or the public discourse.

My problem with BoH is that they are so utterly mediocre. There is nothing remotely unique about them, and yet they get a deal with Sub Pop and an opening slot for Pearl Jam?

Of course taste is subjective, but comparing the creative/professional road of BoH with the typical African-American rapper is silly. Unless there's something in their past of which I'm unaware, BoH was born into a life of great opportunity, and they are using it to make dreadfully boring music. I worked on a TON of rap sessions, and I found that pound-for-pound, rappers and beatmakers are driven by a passion for both music and the opportunity to improve their station in life in a way that doesn't even register for most indie rockers.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 5:17 pm 
tl;dr

Thanks, trag -- and I certainly respect what you're saying, as well as the degree of insight you have access to as a result of your background. I think what I meant to convey was that, in the end, I only feel qualified to assess the music as it exists in recording or performance. Trying to factor in the backgrounds of the artists, whether or not they possess the personal authenticity to credibly generate meaningful art, etc. -- there is just too much room for error in evaluating this type of thing for me to feel confident that I can do it without making an idiot of myself. I don't mean to suggest that everyone should simply fall in line and default to the status quo -- I just don't see any intrinsic value in deviating from it just for the sake of momentarily and superficially defying expectations. Like, should Ben Bridwell have at some point said, "Whoa, guys, we're making exactly the kind of music people would expect us to make based on our appearance -- let's re-think this. How do you guys feel about R&B?" I admire artists who can step outside themselves and shift gears at will like that, but they're rare. More often I think people simply make the music that they feel driven to make, pursuant to whatever perfect storm of circumstances have paved the way -- cultural influence, ego, what they feel the world expects of them, what their own tastes genuinely are, and (not to be underestimated) whatever sounds just naturally come out when these people pick up instruments and start playing. As a listener, I am more interested in what comes out of a song than I am in what goes into it.

Of course, if what comes out is a tedious bore, that's another story. And I agree that Band of Horses are not exactly a band putting forth a wealth of new ideas. But music is not always about new ideas -- sometimes it's just about a feeling that reverberates in your gut, a sound that rattles your bones, or a swell of emotions that hits you in just the right spot. Band of Horses -- especially on the first couple albums -- tap into some combination of those things often enough for the music to ring true to me. Those first couple albums have deep, open guitar sounds and a sort of lo-fi ambience that appeal to me, particularly since I find the basic melodies and craft of the songs to be sturdy in a sort of uncomplicated, unfaltering way. By the fourth album, an element of blandness had taken over that had washed away some of those more tangible qualities. With that record, I understand the charges of mediocrity...

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 5:45 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Everything humans do is based on ego. Even complaining someone has an ego strokes the accusers ego allowing them to feel superior. Parsing bands motivations is so 1991.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 6:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

I just think they're boring and wanted to annoy lenny.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 6:42 pm 

I shouldn't have gotten so worked up about it.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 6:44 pm 

I felt the urge to stand up and defend my fellow white, bearded man. So, I attacked both of you in your weak spot---your intelligence.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 6:45 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

matt reeder wrote:
"The Great Salt Lake" is better than all their other songs put together.

Pretty much this. Guys, they aren't that great. Sorry.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 6:47 pm 
The Master

Kaius wrote:
I felt the urge to stand up and defend my fellow white, bearded man. So, I attacked both of you in your weak spot---your intelligence.

don't drag me into this mess; i just made a joke post

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 6:49 pm 

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Kaius wrote:

don't drag me into this mess; i just made a joke post

It was shallow and racially insensitive, LV.

It was a pretty good post.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 7:11 pm 
tl;dr

tommymtcom wrote:

it's cool, I was looking for an excuse to write three needlessly long paragraphs

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 7:24 pm 
The Master

bada wrote:
Everything humans do is based on ego. Even complaining someone has an ego strokes the accusers ego allowing them to feel superior. Parsing bands motivations is so 1991.

Not saying I don't have an ego, or that artists shouldn't. Trying to say that great music either A) attempts to push boundaries or B) doesn't try to present itself as more important than it really is (like Kesha, Katy Perry, et al). Anything else is just noise to my ears.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 7:25 pm 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
tommymtcom wrote:

it's cool, I was looking for an excuse to write three needlessly long paragraphs

You never need an excuse, KD.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 7:27 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
bada wrote:

Not saying I don't have an ego, or that artists shouldn't. Trying to say that great music either A) attempts to push boundaries or B) doesn't try to present itself as more important than it really is (like Kesha, Katy Perry, et al). Anything else is just noise to my ears.

I don't know. That's seems like an ironically narrow-minded view of what makes good art.

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 7:27 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
bada wrote:

wut

PostPosted: Mon December 28, 2015 7:35 pm 
The Master

Kaius wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
bada wrote:

I don't know. That's seems like an ironically narrow-minded view of what makes good art.

It's an unfortunately jaded opinion born from years of working with mediocre bands. I'm working on it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands