The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The Secession Thread
PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2015 11:01 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

With secession fever sweeping across western Europe (ok maybe I'm exaggerating), you think it could ever happen in the US again? We're practically two countries already. Would anyone go to war to stop it? Would it be a good thing? Does secession weaken the West globally? Which state do you want to live in when the shit goes down? What country will your bunker be in? Will the Man be able to keep these secession movements down forever?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Fri November 06, 2020 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: secession
PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2015 11:04 pm 
The Master

lol fart

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2015 11:08 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

i was thinking the other day that democracies, even the good ones, don't seem to make it past the 200 year mark. We're a little beyond that, if you can still call this a democracy, but it seems inevitable that they break up or become dictatorships. I'd opt for the breaking up plan.

That's why I am announcing that I am seceding from the Union and setting up Burtland.

Drinking and driving will be legal again, as God intended.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2015 11:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

jameson

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2015 11:29 pm 

doug rr wrote:
jameson

will be heavily taxed.

PostPosted: Thu October 01, 2015 11:31 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BurtReynolds wrote:
doug rr wrote:
jameson

will be heavily taxed.

thats just mean

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 3:04 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Maybe you won't feel that the term secession applies, but Czechoslovakia --> Czech Republic & Slovakia seems like a good model to follow. They both did fairly well separately, and there wasn't any violence to speak of in the split.

As far as the US goes, I am not optimistic that we are as civilized as these particular central Europeans. We don't appreciate the centrality of Pilsners in western civilization, for one.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 11:38 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

This is a fascinating subject to me, and as an American, I'm kind of for it. Fuck it, why not? This country is so fractured, why not spit her up and make like 3, or 4, or 5 new countries out of the good 'ol USofA?

Here is a cool article that kinda shows what this thread is about: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/cult ... erica.html

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 1:41 pm 
The Master

I find this concept terrifying. It would not end well.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 1:41 pm 
Poster of the Year

agreed

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 1:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

me too

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 2:00 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

nonetheless, i think it's fascinating. don't think it will ever happen, don't think it should. would most likely be a disaster, but still interesting to think about. it would make a good movie.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 2:05 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

darth_vedder wrote:
nonetheless, i think it's fascinating. don't think it will ever happen, don't think it should. would most likely be a disaster, but still interesting to think about. it would make a good movie.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 2:55 pm 
AnalLog

darth_vedder wrote:

No it isn't very likely to ever happen. There's an usually understated reason behind the breaking up of central and eastern European countries such as Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia. They had an expiration date from day one. There where separate nations within a country. We were people speaking different languages (not dialects but substantially different languages) and had our different histories. It was a transitional period between the era of the monarchies and the contemporary independent countries. It just something that would have happened and it obviously coincided with the collapse of communism - which was a time bomb in it's own right.

The US situation is much more similar with how for example Italy or Germany are. As many differences and issues that may exist between southern and northern regions of Italy they're still all Italians. Germany is probably even better as an example since the end of communism actually united the country. People from Sicily or Tuscany consider themselves Italians 1st. Slovenians and Croatians didn't really consider themselves Yugoslavians (that's much more common for Serbs though). I think it's similar for Czechs and Slovaks.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 6:52 pm 

On a long enough time line, its almost a certainty. I can't imagine the US map will look the same in fifty or a hundred years. I'm amazed no one else can even conceive that it won't be the same forever, when nations have morphed for all of human history.

I also don't think it would be a bad thing.

I don't think comparisons to Germany are Italy are very close. We're more like the UK, which is barely held together as it is.

I mean, a hundred and fifty years ago, the country was in the midst of one of the most brutal civil wars in history. That wasn't that long ago in the grand scheme of things.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 7:15 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Well, that's more a movie about a centralized government controlling things, more like 1984. I'm thinking more or less something like a new civil war that leads to 4 or 5 new states based on political beliefs. Then dealing with the aftermath in the sequels if the original is any good.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 7:29 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Once they get the holodecks working, I won't give a shit what any of you do. But try to keep it together until then.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 7:31 pm 

http://www.businessinsider.com/actually ... ap-2013-11

PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2015 12:47 am 
Thread Killer

Nor cal keeps wanting to split into its ow state, the State of Jefferson

http://www.jeffersonstate.com

PostPosted: Sat October 03, 2015 2:08 am 
Site Admin

dpupenya wrote:
Nor cal keeps wanting to split into its ow state, the State of Jefferson

http://www.jeffersonstate.com
I once made a crude map redrawing what the boundaries of the West's states should be. I'll have to see if I can find that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate