The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Same-Sex Marriage
PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2015 5:16 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Strat wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Looks like Kim Davis made them change the marriage licenses so that her name isn't on them. So, in other words, she gave up.

But she also said she isn't sure if they are binding if her name isn't on them.

I'm not sure anyone gives a shit what she thinks.

But if that turns out to be true that without her name they aren't legally binding, then she really didn't give in at all.

Oh she gave in alright.

good talk guys

Ruddo you didnt answer my question and now im worried :(

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2015 5:17 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

heh

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2015 5:18 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Strat wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Strat wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
B wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Looks like Kim Davis made them change the marriage licenses so that her name isn't on them. So, in other words, she gave up.

But she also said she isn't sure if they are binding if her name isn't on them.

I'm not sure anyone gives a shit what she thinks.

But if that turns out to be true that without her name they aren't legally binding, then she really didn't give in at all.

Oh she gave in alright.

good talk guys

Ruddo you didnt answer my question and now im worried :(

Let me sort through my fat head to get my thoughts then I'll try and answer.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2015 5:49 pm 
The Master

get over it.

PostPosted: Tue September 15, 2015 6:04 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Strat wrote:
get over it.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 2:21 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Big surprise. :roll:

Pope Francis Met With Kim Davis, Kentucky County Clerk, in Washington

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/us/co ... .html?_r=0

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 9:36 am 
AnalLog

Shouldn't in this case the separation of church and state overweight a freedom of exercising a religion since a clerk should essentially be representing the state here?

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 9:46 am 
Poster of the Year

yes

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 10:53 am 
AnalLog

turned2black wrote:

But....

Quote:
Pope did not give unconditional support to clerk in gay marriage row: Vatican

Pope Francis did not ask to meet a Kentucky county clerk who had been jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples and did not offer her unconditional support, the Vatican said on Friday.

Looking to limit controversy after last week's meeting in Washington between the pope and Kim Davis, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said she was one of "several dozen" people who had been invited by the Vatican ambassador to see Francis.

"The Pope did not enter into the details of the situation of Mrs. Davis and his meeting with her should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its particular and complex aspects," Lombardi said in a statement.

The meeting with Davis, which was originally kept secret, disappointed many liberal Catholics but delighted conservatives, who saw it as a sign that the pope was clearly condemning a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court to legalize same-sex marriage.

A senior Vatican official, who declined to be named, said there was a "sense of regret" within the Holy See over the encounter, which sparked widespread debate in the United States, overshadowing almost all other aspects of the pope's visit.

He added that Davis had been in a line of people the pope had met at the Vatican embassy in Washington before he left for New York.

"The only real audience granted by the Pope at the Nunciature (Vatican embassy) was with one of his former students and his family," the statement said.

Davis was jailed for five days in September for refusing to comply with a judge's order to issue marriage licenses in line with the Supreme Court ruling.

Davis has said her beliefs as an Apostolic Christian prevent her from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Her church belongs to a Protestant movement known as Apostolic Pentecostalism.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/ ... UN20151002

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 10:58 am 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
yes

So shouldn't she be following her believes by resigning rather than adapting her duties so that it suits her? I wonder how it will all work out in the end.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 11:10 am 
Poster of the Year

Mine wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
yes

So shouldn't she be following her believes by resigning rather than adapting her duties so that it suits her?

yes

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 11:13 am 
AnalLog

:nice:

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 1:43 pm 
The Master

Mine wrote:
turned2black wrote:

But....

Quote:
Pope did not give unconditional support to clerk in gay marriage row: Vatican

Pope Francis did not ask to meet a Kentucky county clerk who had been jailed for refusing to issue marriage licenses to gay couples and did not offer her unconditional support, the Vatican said on Friday.

Looking to limit controversy after last week's meeting in Washington between the pope and Kim Davis, Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said she was one of "several dozen" people who had been invited by the Vatican ambassador to see Francis.

"The Pope did not enter into the details of the situation of Mrs. Davis and his meeting with her should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its particular and complex aspects," Lombardi said in a statement.

The meeting with Davis, which was originally kept secret, disappointed many liberal Catholics but delighted conservatives, who saw it as a sign that the pope was clearly condemning a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court to legalize same-sex marriage.

A senior Vatican official, who declined to be named, said there was a "sense of regret" within the Holy See over the encounter, which sparked widespread debate in the United States, overshadowing almost all other aspects of the pope's visit.

He added that Davis had been in a line of people the pope had met at the Vatican embassy in Washington before he left for New York.

"The only real audience granted by the Pope at the Nunciature (Vatican embassy) was with one of his former students and his family," the statement said.

Davis was jailed for five days in September for refusing to comply with a judge's order to issue marriage licenses in line with the Supreme Court ruling.

Davis has said her beliefs as an Apostolic Christian prevent her from issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Her church belongs to a Protestant movement known as Apostolic Pentecostalism.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/ ... UN20151002

lol, there are no "complex aspects" going on here.

PostPosted: Fri October 02, 2015 2:16 pm 
AnalLog

There are by Vatican standards. I'm not surprised by this as the "current administration" there is very PR concious. Funny how they felt the need to distance themselves though.

PostPosted: Mon October 05, 2015 1:13 am 
Future Drummer

I'm from Kentucky. I see these types all the time. Despite what she or her attorney says she is most certainly looking for any angle to justify her suffering at the hands of sinners. The pope saying HI to her was all they needed to feel righteous. It's no different than Huckabee to them.

PostPosted: Mon October 05, 2015 6:59 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Mine wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
yes

So shouldn't she be following her believes by resigning rather than adapting her duties so that it suits her?

yes

Christianity has a long, proud tradition of converting morally compromised government officials. The tax collectors did not just convert; they stopped being tax collectors.

PostPosted: Mon October 05, 2015 11:04 am 
Future Drummer

I just had an impossible argument with someone who insists that Thomas Jefferson's original theory of "separation of church and state" was that "Christianity is the official religion of America". He says that Wikipedia is wrong, and that he studied it thoroughly in "secular college". This is somebody very intelligent and well-spoken that I grew up with. It brought my mind to a screeching halt. He also believes that the earth is 3,000 years old and that fossils were planted by the devil. How can you argue with somebody like that, let alone have a reasonable discussion with them?

PostPosted: Mon October 05, 2015 1:31 pm 
The Master

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
I just had an impossible argument with someone who insists that Thomas Jefferson's original theory of "separation of church and state" was that "Christianity is the official religion of America". He says that Wikipedia is wrong, and that he studied it thoroughly in "secular college". This is somebody very intelligent and well-spoken that I grew up with. It brought my mind to a screeching halt. He also believes that the earth is 3,000 years old and that fossils were planted by the devil. How can you argue with somebody like that, let alone have a reasonable discussion with them?

This kind of thing never fails to blow my mind; my mom is the same way. How can someone be so smart and perceptive in many ways and then be so fucking dirt-dumb in others?

PostPosted: Mon October 05, 2015 1:38 pm 
The Master

I also wonder if most of the people who think Christianity is or should be the "official religion" of the US have actually thought about the consequences and implications of what that would mean.

PostPosted: Mon October 05, 2015 1:39 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I also wonder if most of the people who think Christianity is or should be the "official religion" of the US have actually thought about the consequences and implications of what that would mean.

My avatar is probably giving this post a weird subtext.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 468 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate