The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Wed August 12, 2015 8:11 pm 
Poster of the Year

@SkitchP wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Calling people pussies because they don't like hot or cold weather is really dumb

Disagree. I dont care if you like or dislike any specific kind of weather. It's the bitching about it that leads you to be mocked.

That pussy couldn't even handle some sun.

PostPosted: Wed August 12, 2015 8:26 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

That pussy ass bloke went and had a heat stroke, brain scrambled and fried just like egg yolk.

PostPosted: Wed August 19, 2015 6:29 am 
A Return To Form

I really don't care what the intended meaning of the flag is supposed to represent--to most people it is a symbol of segregation and racism.

We are an impossibility in an impossible universe.

PostPosted: Fri July 20, 2018 2:47 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

The number of Tennesseans with Confederate battle flag license plates has reached its highest point in a decade.

Data from the Tennessee Department of Revenue shows that 3,273 of the license plates benefiting the Sons of Confederate Veterans were active at the end of the 2018 fiscal year, The Tennessean reported .

That number represents a 72 percent increase from the end of the 2015 fiscal year, when the national debate of the display of Confederate flags reached a fever pitch following the massacre of nine black worshippers slain at a church in Charleston, South Carolina.

The Tennessee plate was introduced in 2004, but data on the number of active plates isn't available until 2008.

The Tennessee division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans received around $57,700 in revenue from the plates in the 2018 fiscal year, according to the state's revenue department. Those funds help fund the chapter's ongoing legal fight against the city of Memphis over the removal of Confederate statues, division commander James Patterson said.

After the Charleston shooting, Republican Gov. Bill Haslam expressed support for discontinuing the license plates, but then later backed away from supporting Democratic legislation that would have done so.

Being a native Southerner I'm not surprised and would expect other deep south states would have similar results

PostPosted: Fri July 20, 2018 3:25 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Our local Boy Scout troop is fighting over their logo.

PostPosted: Fri July 20, 2018 3:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

While I was out riding my bike last weekend I passed a house with the Confederate flag but I'm in Washington State. What "south" are you proud about up here? And I get that people move, but I still don't understand how people are fans of losers. (Yes that's a tired argument. I don't care.)

Also this:

PostPosted: Fri July 20, 2018 3:30 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Meh. I live in North Carolina and regularly fly flags in support of Ohio State and the Cleveland sports teams.

People move.

PostPosted: Fri July 20, 2018 3:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Pretty sure Cleveland didn't start a Civil War though. :)

It's just a weird thing to have pride in. Again, tired argument. I get that.

PostPosted: Fri July 20, 2018 5:39 pm 
Polluted

Plus, it says born and raised, B.

PostPosted: Fri July 20, 2018 5:39 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
Pretty sure Cleveland didn't start a Civil War though. :)

It's just a weird thing to have pride in. Again, tired argument. I get that.

Whether it's Trump or the Confederacy, the South loves them some treason!

PostPosted: Fri July 20, 2018 5:54 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue June 09, 2020 7:06 pm 

There has also been a couple stories about the Confederate flag the past couple weeks:

The Marines have banned public displays of the Confederate flag
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/501504-marines-ban-public-displays-of-confederate-flag

Th Mississippi Legislature might finally remove the emblem from their state flag
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/501861-mississippi-lawmakers-drafting-resolution-to-take-confederate-emblem-off

While the flag no longer formally flies at any NASCAR event it is still found at many races, brought in by fans. The only black driver was asked about that.
https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nascar/news/nascar-confederate-flags-bubba-wallace/1bub2sjfjmff519bdnyoa1bl77

PostPosted: Sun June 14, 2020 3:35 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

such inside the box thinking on this one

look at 4Chan -

they took the 'OK' hand symbol and managed to change its meaning to get people to think it is a white power symbol - and then it became a white power symbol

why can't people 'change the meaning' of the flag rather than change the flag?

just adopt it as the transgender rights flag

you'll see people in SC start taking it down very fast

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun June 14, 2020 12:19 pm 
Major Dude

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
The number of Tennesseans with Confederate battle flag license plates has reached its highest point in a decade.

Data from the Tennessee Department of Revenue shows that 3,273 of the license plates benefiting the Sons of Confederate Veterans were active at the end of the 2018 fiscal year, The Tennessean reported .

That number represents a 72 percent increase from the end of the 2015 fiscal year, when the national debate of the display of Confederate flags reached a fever pitch following the massacre of nine black worshippers slain at a church in Charleston, South Carolina.

The Tennessee plate was introduced in 2004, but data on the number of active plates isn't available until 2008.

The Tennessee division of the Sons of Confederate Veterans received around $57,700 in revenue from the plates in the 2018 fiscal year, according to the state's revenue department. Those funds help fund the chapter's ongoing legal fight against the city of Memphis over the removal of Confederate statues, division commander James Patterson said.

After the Charleston shooting, Republican Gov. Bill Haslam expressed support for discontinuing the license plates, but then later backed away from supporting Democratic legislation that would have done so.

Being a native Southerner I'm not surprised and would expect other deep south states would have similar results

God, I hate this state.

PostPosted: Sun June 14, 2020 6:05 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I've always had a good time when I've visited Memphis and Nashville.

PostPosted: Sun June 14, 2020 8:15 pm 
Major Dude

washing machine wrote:
I've always had a good time when I've visited Memphis and Nashville.

The only 2 blue counties/cities.

PostPosted: Sun June 14, 2020 8:17 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Is that where the phrase "Blue Nashville" comes from?

PostPosted: Sun June 14, 2020 8:22 pm 
Major Dude

washing machine wrote:
Is that where the phrase "Blue Nashville" comes from?

Never heard of it, but doubtful.

PostPosted: Mon June 15, 2020 1:07 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

bune wrote:
While I was out riding my bike last weekend I passed a house with the Confederate flag but I'm in Washington State. What "south" are you proud about up here? And I get that people move, but I still don't understand how people are fans of losers. (Yes that's a tired argument. I don't care.)

Also this:

There was debate at the Ohio statehouse last week about banning the sale of confederate flags ate county fairs in Ohio. Right now it's banned at the state fair, but the GOP majority legislature wouldn't allow it to happen on a county level. It's like they totally forget that Ohio sent a large amount of troops to fight for the union. And, oh yeah, Grant and Sherman were Ohio natives as well. I bet they'd love to see these guys driving around in their pickup trucks with confederate flag decals all over the place. Every now and then I'll see them up here in NEO. I can only imagine what it's like along the river.

PostPosted: Fri July 31, 2020 5:17 pm 

Michigan bed & breakfast used to fly the Norwegian flag out front because the owners had Norwegian ancestory. They had to take it down because too many people thought it was a Confederate flag.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ignorance-turns-outrage-cancel-culture-033703106.html

Last edited by Biff Pocoroba on Fri July 31, 2020 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate