The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 321  Next
 Post subject: Re: Not worthy of a thread News
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:10 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Is Scotland really going to leave the UK?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:12 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
3 girls missing in Cleveland for 10 years escaped their captivity yesterday. One had a kid.

This story has been especially good at revealing the high quality writing skills of journalists, for some reason.

Quote:
His former wife, Louwana Miller, worked hard to bring their daughter home, pleading with authorities to follow every tip. Miller died in 2006 at the age of 43 after being hospitalized with pancreatitis. John Berry suspects she died of a broken heart.

"There's no way to explain. It's the best thing that ever happened to me. Best feeling I ever had," Berry said.

Great placement of the quote, fella.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:37 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:
This story has been especially good at revealing the high quality writing skills of journalists, for some reason.

Quote:
His former wife, Louwana Miller, worked hard to bring their daughter home, pleading with authorities to follow every tip. Miller died in 2006 at the age of 43 after being hospitalized with pancreatitis. John Berry suspects she died of a broken heart.

"There's no way to explain. It's the best thing that ever happened to me. Best feeling I ever had," Berry said.

Meh.

Let's start with libel and checking facts, then move on to better writing.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:45 pm 
RM Elitist

turned2black wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Quote:

Meh.

Let's start with libel and checking facts, then move on to better writing.

Or the outright jubilation to have a quirky black guy perform on camera.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:58 pm 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Is Scotland really going to leave the UK?

Would anybody notice?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 pm 
Broken Tamborine

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
3 girls missing in Cleveland for 10 years escaped their captivity yesterday. One had a kid.

They were 14 when they were abducted, the same age I was when a gang of men tried and failed to abduct me. The line between success and failure, from the abducters point of view.

I still can't get my head around it. In 1 moment, 10 years of their lives were robbed from them, that they'll never get back.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:22 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

http://www.nme.com/news/green-day/70198 ... paign=cigs

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:05 pm 
Broken Tamborine

How can he even say that? We all hate the same people. People who try and use sex and violence to sell records, who thought they were born to win the x-factor. And they got beaten to top spot by someone who was just having a bit of fun.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

"Ha ha, oh shit. Did you guys hear that? Did you hear that? We were talking about that Gundam guy...The Gundam guy? With the pony dance and everything? Yeah. Anyway, we were talking and I called him, like, herpes......but of music! Ha ha! Herpes of music! I know! I didn't even think about it...I just opened my mouth, and it fucking came out. Like, 'blargh,' you know? Ha ha. Anyways, long story short, somebody get me my cell phone."

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:26 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

Not worthy of a post News

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:59 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Didn't about 18 people get shot at a parade yesterday? how is this not big news? Are these things so commonplace now?

oh wait they were mostly black.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:19 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Meanwhile, in the Barrackcave....

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:36 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

People should be really bothered by this, but they probably aren't.

Feds seize AP phone records for criminal probe

(CNN) -- The Justice Department secretly collected two months of telephone records for reporters and editors at The Associated Press, the news service disclosed Monday in an outraged letter to Attorney General Eric Holder.

The records included calls from several AP bureaus and the personal phone lines of several staffers, AP President Gary Pruitt wrote. Pruitt called the subpoenas a "massive and unprecedented intrusion" into its reporting.

"These records potentially reveal communications with confidential sources across all of the newsgathering activities undertaken by the AP during a two-month period, provide a road map to AP's newsgathering operations and disclose information about AP's activities and operations that the government has no conceivable right to know," wrote Pruitt, the news agency's CEO.

The AP reported that the government has not said why it wanted the records. But it noted that U.S. officials have said they were probing how details of a foiled bomb plot that targeted a U.S.-bound aircraft leaked in May 2012. The news agency said records from five reporters and an editor who worked on a story about the plot were among those collected, but it said none of the information the government has shared with it suggested agents listened in on any reporters' calls.

The subpoenas were disclosed to the news agency on Friday, Pruitt wrote. In all, federal agents collected records from more than 20 lines, including personal phones and AP phone numbers in New York; Hartford, Connecticut; and Washington, he wrote.

"We regard this action by the Department of Justice as a serious interference with AP's constitutional rights to gather and report the news," he told Holder. Pruitt demanded that the department return all records collected and destroy all copies.

The U.S. attorney's office in Washington responded that federal investigators seek phone records from news outlets only after making "every reasonable effort to obtain information through alternative means." It did not disclose the subject of the probe.

"We must notify the media organization in advance unless doing so would pose a substantial threat to the integrity of the investigation," it said. "Because we value the freedom of the press, we are always careful and deliberative in seeking to strike the right balance between the public interest in the free flow of information and the public interest in the fair and effective administration of our criminal laws."

Federal agents have launched several investigations into leaks of classified information in the past few years. Holder announced in June 2012 that he had assigned two U.S. attorneys to lead investigations into the possible leaking of state secrets, and members of Congress have complained about disclosures of electronic warfare campaigns against Iran, U.S. drone attacks overseas and Obama's personal involvement in "kill lists" of militants in Yemen and Pakistan.

But Pruitt wrote that most of the records collected from the AP "can have no plausible connection to any ongoing investigation," and the American Civil Liberties Union called on the Justice Department to explain its actions.

"Obtaining a broad range of telephone records in order to ferret out a government leaker is an unacceptable abuse of power," Ben Wizner, the head of the ACLU's Speech, Privacy, and Technology Project, said in a written statement. "Freedom of the press is a pillar of our democracy, and that freedom often depends on confidential communications between reporters and their sources."

The disclosure is likely to bring new scrutiny from Congress as well. In a statement issued Monday night, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy said, "I am very troubled by these allegations and want to hear the government's explanation."

"The burden is always on the government when they go after private information -- especially information regarding the press or its confidential sources," said Leahy, D-Vermont. "I want to know more about this case, but on the face of it, I am concerned that the government may not have met that burden."

And Rep. Darrell Issa, R-California, told CNN that the Justice Department already has the ability "to listen, very transparently, to all the government phones and government activities."

"You can imagine if Congress wanted to know about leaks that obviously came out of the administration that ended up in the press, they would be outraged if we tried to get that information," said Issa, a member of the House Judiciary Committee and a leading critic of Holder. "But that's exactly what they're doing. They're looking at what is considered to be confidential."

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/13/us/justic ... index.html

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:18 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Former Bush administration officials should be impressed with the Obama administration apparatus regarding leaks. Barack runs a tight ship. It is an odd juxtaposition that the 'most transparent administration in history' is also one of the more aggressive in shutting down whistleblowers and the like.

At this point the telecom companies know that they have to play ball if they ever want to merge or do anything that requires federal approval. I'm curious if there was even a valid warrant issued and if the telecom involved tried to fight back. In some instances the feds have them so cowed that they don't even need to jump through the legal hoops to get information that normally should be difficult to obtain.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:30 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bullying the press and flying death machines... why did I vote for this asshole a second time?

ObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObama
NixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixon
ObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObama
NixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixonObamaNixon

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:37 am 
Poster of the Year

That's fucked up.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:41 am 
Future Drummer

I don't know what my feelings are about all this. If this leads back to the oval office, I almost want to slap Obama on the back and say, "Shit, Mr. President, I didn't think you had it in ya!"

I think coming into office the administration wanted to root out any association with Bush and the Patriot Act and government probing. Then they realized, "This stuff works." I remember when Obama signed an extension on the Patriot Act, and no one talked about it! I don't know. It's messed up, and I'm going to enjoy watching MSNBC hosts withdraw their Obama worship (if that's even possible), but I can't help but admire our president's insolence. Maybe it's because I supported Bush all those years and I had to watch the press grill him.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:47 am 
Future Drummer

Can someone make a thread for this debacle? The fact that it's located in the "not worthy of a thread News" is exactly what this Obama administration wants.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:13 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

One of the things I always enjoyed about leaning left was our side's ability to criticize our own (something the GOP is pretty terrible at). But these days seem to be long gone.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:41 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Harry Lime wrote:
Can someone make a thread for this debacle?

Go for it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6401 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 321  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate