The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2015 7:53 pm 
The Master

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
TVLand has pulled The Dukes of Hazzard. I'm pretty certain if you were still watching the show the General Lee didn't offend you. :roll:

People are getting carried away with this. We gotta be careful when we start burying artistic artifacts; dangerous road to go down. There was recently an op-ed making the case that we should stop showing Gone with the Wind because of this whole deal. What a crock of shit.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2015 7:55 pm 
Poster of the Year

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:
TVLand has pulled The Dukes of Hazzard. I'm pretty certain if you were still watching the show the General Lee didn't offend you. :roll:

People are getting carried away with this. We gotta be careful when we start burying artistic artifacts; dangerous road to go down. There was recently an op-ed making the case that we should stop showing Gone with the Wind because of this whole deal. What a crock of shit.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating for the removal of art, and I've enjoyed Gone with the Wind.

With that said, that movie has probably done more to perpetuate the myth of the Confederate Lost Cause than anything else.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2015 8:02 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:

Disclaimer: I am not advocating for the removal of art, and I've enjoyed Gone with the Wind.

With that said, that movie has probably done more to perpetuate the myth of the Confederate Lost Cause than anything else.

Maybe, but regardless, not showing it is not the right thing to do. GWTW is a culturally significant work of art just like The Birth of a Nation; pretending they don't exist does not help advance our culture. We need to know and understand them - flaws and all. Art is not just one thing; it can be ideologically problematic while also being beautifully expressive, powerfully performed, artfully crafted, even thematically insightful. We should be able to parse our reactions to them without just denying them altogether.

PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2015 10:30 pm 
Poster of the Year

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:

Maybe, but regardless, not showing it is not the right thing to do. GWTW is a culturally significant work of art just like The Birth of a Nation; pretending they don't exist does not help advance our culture. We need to know and understand them - flaws and all. Art is not just one thing; it can be ideologically problematic while also being beautifully expressive, powerfully performed, artfully crafted, even thematically insightful. We should be able to parse our reactions to them without just denying them altogether.

I agree with you entirely.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 12:30 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I have noticed more people flying the confederate flag the past couple weeks. It's not a common thing but it was rare to see one until just recently.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 12:45 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I saw a "Confederate Lives Matter!" post on Facebook today. I'm officially done with this whole debate.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 1:25 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Big debate today in SC government about whether or not to remove it.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 6:54 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

how would you vote?

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 6:56 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

spike wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

how would you vote?

just take it down if it offends a large amount of people. It won't stop the people who want it to keep flying it themselves.

Go Redskins

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:05 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
spike wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

how would you vote?

just take it down if it offends a large amount of people. It won't stop the people who want it to keep flying it themselves.

Go Redskins

you seem rather ho hum over this polarizing issue.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:12 pm 

spike wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
spike wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

how would you vote?

Go Redskins

you seem rather ho hum over this polarizing issue.

I am, actually. I grew up in PA but moved here when I was 18. To this day I still don't understand the whole "south will rise again" attitude among white people in the south. At the same time, for the most part, the only people that seem to be bothered by it are people outside the area (not taking into account recent shooting). Most black people I know that have grown up in the south couldn't care less about that flag. Seems like it is the national media/social media that has made a big deal of it. So I don't know what to think. Unless some dude bearing a Confederate flag tries to kick my a or something, I probably will never feel strongly about it one way or the other.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 8:52 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Things that send Ruddo into a fit of blinding rage: how young people talk

Things Ruddo can't muster much of an opinion about: state-sanctioned displays of institutionalized racism iconography

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 10:16 pm 

theplatypus wrote:

Things Ruddo can't muster much of an opinion about: state-sanctioned displays of institutionalized racism iconography

Wires are crossed, Jorge

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 10:26 pm 
The Master

theplatypus wrote:

it's like his 80 years old or something

PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 1:07 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 7:41 pm 
The Master

Ruddo, you fought for the American Flag. How do you feel about such a treasonous flag being flown on your soil?

PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 7:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
Confederate Flag >>> Evacuation

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 8:40 pm 

Strat wrote:
Ruddo, you fought for the American Flag. How do you feel about such a treasonous flag being flown on your soil?

Honestly? I just associate it with stupidity. If it truly represents heritage, it represents a dark time in that heritage, where you didn't want to be part of this great nation and where you wanted to own slaves. Anyone who can't see that because their great great great great granddaddy lost his life fighting under that flag is just blind to the real world. You guys wanted my stance, well there it is. But the whole thing doesn't affect me in any way. Sure I may feel bad for people who just don't get that their "heritage" is a common symbol among hate groups that also use the swastika, but it doesn't anger me, just bewilders me.

PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 11:44 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Quote:

The banners in the above two images appeared for a brief time during Carrboro’s July 4th Celebration near the corner of Greensboro and Weaver streets in Carrboro. Below, two images of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s confederate soldier, dubbed Silent Sam, partially cloaked in a white wrap after the controversial statue was defaced with graffiti reading “black lives matter,” “KKK” and “murderer.” Media news outlets peppered the lawn near the statue, which was erected in 1913 as a tribute to UNC alumni who died in the Civil War and also UNC students who fought on the side of the Confederacy.

http://www.onfranklinandmain.com/2015/0 ... he-banner/

PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 11:45 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Tue March 07, 2023 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate