The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2015 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 45317
Location: Garbage Dump
Biff Pocoroba wrote:
TVLand has pulled The Dukes of Hazzard. I'm pretty certain if you were still watching the show the General Lee didn't offend you. :roll:

People are getting carried away with this. We gotta be careful when we start burying artistic artifacts; dangerous road to go down. There was recently an op-ed making the case that we should stop showing Gone with the Wind because of this whole deal. What a crock of shit.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Take that post and push it off a bridge.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2015 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 56638
Location: September 2020 Poster of the Month
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:
TVLand has pulled The Dukes of Hazzard. I'm pretty certain if you were still watching the show the General Lee didn't offend you. :roll:

People are getting carried away with this. We gotta be careful when we start burying artistic artifacts; dangerous road to go down. There was recently an op-ed making the case that we should stop showing Gone with the Wind because of this whole deal. What a crock of shit.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating for the removal of art, and I've enjoyed Gone with the Wind.

With that said, that movie has probably done more to perpetuate the myth of the Confederate Lost Cause than anything else.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2015 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 45317
Location: Garbage Dump
cutuphalfdead wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:
TVLand has pulled The Dukes of Hazzard. I'm pretty certain if you were still watching the show the General Lee didn't offend you. :roll:

People are getting carried away with this. We gotta be careful when we start burying artistic artifacts; dangerous road to go down. There was recently an op-ed making the case that we should stop showing Gone with the Wind because of this whole deal. What a crock of shit.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating for the removal of art, and I've enjoyed Gone with the Wind.

With that said, that movie has probably done more to perpetuate the myth of the Confederate Lost Cause than anything else.

Maybe, but regardless, not showing it is not the right thing to do. GWTW is a culturally significant work of art just like The Birth of a Nation; pretending they don't exist does not help advance our culture. We need to know and understand them - flaws and all. Art is not just one thing; it can be ideologically problematic while also being beautifully expressive, powerfully performed, artfully crafted, even thematically insightful. We should be able to parse our reactions to them without just denying them altogether.

_________________
dimejinky99 wrote:
Take that post and push it off a bridge.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Wed July 01, 2015 10:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 56638
Location: September 2020 Poster of the Month
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:
TVLand has pulled The Dukes of Hazzard. I'm pretty certain if you were still watching the show the General Lee didn't offend you. :roll:

People are getting carried away with this. We gotta be careful when we start burying artistic artifacts; dangerous road to go down. There was recently an op-ed making the case that we should stop showing Gone with the Wind because of this whole deal. What a crock of shit.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating for the removal of art, and I've enjoyed Gone with the Wind.

With that said, that movie has probably done more to perpetuate the myth of the Confederate Lost Cause than anything else.

Maybe, but regardless, not showing it is not the right thing to do. GWTW is a culturally significant work of art just like The Birth of a Nation; pretending they don't exist does not help advance our culture. We need to know and understand them - flaws and all. Art is not just one thing; it can be ideologically problematic while also being beautifully expressive, powerfully performed, artfully crafted, even thematically insightful. We should be able to parse our reactions to them without just denying them altogether.

I agree with you entirely.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 12:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 7017
Location: 5th floor, Bay 7, position 5740
I have noticed more people flying the confederate flag the past couple weeks. It's not a common thing but it was rare to see one until just recently.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 12:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I Have A Third Nipple
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 18514
Location: Cumberland, RI
I saw a "Confederate Lives Matter!" post on Facebook today. I'm officially done with this whole debate.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64332
Big debate today in SC government about whether or not to remove it.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 6:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 22642
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Big debate today in SC government about whether or not to remove it.

how would you vote?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64332
spike wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Big debate today in SC government about whether or not to remove it.

how would you vote?

just take it down if it offends a large amount of people. It won't stop the people who want it to keep flying it themselves.

Go Redskins

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 22642
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
spike wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Big debate today in SC government about whether or not to remove it.

how would you vote?

just take it down if it offends a large amount of people. It won't stop the people who want it to keep flying it themselves.

Go Redskins

you seem rather ho hum over this polarizing issue.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64332
spike wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
spike wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Big debate today in SC government about whether or not to remove it.

how would you vote?

just take it down if it offends a large amount of people. It won't stop the people who want it to keep flying it themselves.

Go Redskins

you seem rather ho hum over this polarizing issue.

I am, actually. I grew up in PA but moved here when I was 18. To this day I still don't understand the whole "south will rise again" attitude among white people in the south. At the same time, for the most part, the only people that seem to be bothered by it are people outside the area (not taking into account recent shooting). Most black people I know that have grown up in the south couldn't care less about that flag. Seems like it is the national media/social media that has made a big deal of it. So I don't know what to think. Unless some dude bearing a Confederate flag tries to kick my a or something, I probably will never feel strongly about it one way or the other.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:35 pm
Posts: 40128
Location: Buenos Aires
Things that send Ruddo into a fit of blinding rage: how young people talk

Things Ruddo can't muster much of an opinion about: state-sanctioned displays of institutionalized racism iconography

_________________
About Mickey Mouse, Anders wrote:
He's a loyal and true friend, and has daredevil guts and determination. He's doesn't hold back when faced with autority, and is unpredictable in his actions.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 10:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64332
theplatypus wrote:
Things that send Ruddo into a fit of blinding rage: how young people talk

Things Ruddo can't muster much of an opinion about: state-sanctioned displays of institutionalized racism iconography

Wires are crossed, Jorge

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 22642
theplatypus wrote:
Things that send Ruddo into a fit of blinding rage: how young people talk

Things Ruddo can't muster much of an opinion about: state-sanctioned displays of institutionalized racism iconography

it's like his 80 years old or something


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 1:07 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 43267
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
Confederate Flag >>> Evacuation

_________________
My entire life is devoted to fighting the lizards.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 44240
Location: Mountains
Ruddo, you fought for the American Flag. How do you feel about such a treasonous flag being flown on your soil?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 7:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 6765
BurtReynolds wrote:
Confederate Flag >>> Evacuation

:lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 64332
Strat wrote:
Ruddo, you fought for the American Flag. How do you feel about such a treasonous flag being flown on your soil?

Honestly? I just associate it with stupidity. If it truly represents heritage, it represents a dark time in that heritage, where you didn't want to be part of this great nation and where you wanted to own slaves. Anyone who can't see that because their great great great great granddaddy lost his life fighting under that flag is just blind to the real world. You guys wanted my stance, well there it is. But the whole thing doesn't affect me in any way. Sure I may feel bad for people who just don't get that their "heritage" is a common symbol among hate groups that also use the swastika, but it doesn't anger me, just bewilders me.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Classic B
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 15704
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
Quote:
Image

Image

The banners in the above two images appeared for a brief time during Carrboro’s July 4th Celebration near the corner of Greensboro and Weaver streets in Carrboro. Below, two images of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s confederate soldier, dubbed Silent Sam, partially cloaked in a white wrap after the controversial statue was defaced with graffiti reading “black lives matter,” “KKK” and “murderer.” Media news outlets peppered the lawn near the statue, which was erected in 1913 as a tribute to UNC alumni who died in the Civil War and also UNC students who fought on the side of the Confederacy.

Image


http://www.onfranklinandmain.com/2015/0 ... he-banner/

_________________
VinylGuy wrote:
Fuck, B was right all along?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Confederate Flag
PostPosted: Tue July 07, 2015 11:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 43267
Location: 6000 feet beyond man and time.
can't we all just get along?

_________________
My entire life is devoted to fighting the lizards.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri November 27, 2020 8:39 pm