The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Release

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Writing...
PostPosted: Fri March 22, 2013 7:46 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Malloy wrote:
Dscans wrote:
I'm taking a creative writing class for graduate credit, although I'm the only grad student in there.

i'm in the same position pardner. how's it going for you?

If I was in a creative writing class with the undergraduate students that I teach, I think I would kill myself (but them first). However, I assume that the students who choose to take these classes are pretty motivated.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 12:24 am 
Future Drummer

Simple Torture wrote:
Malloy wrote:
Dscans wrote:
I'm taking a creative writing class for graduate credit, although I'm the only grad student in there.

If I was in a creative writing class with the undergraduate students that I teach, I think I would kill myself (but them first). However, I assume that the students who choose to take these classes are pretty motivated.

my situation is a bit different. a prof. asked me to take the graduate workshop. it isn't something that undergrads can choose to take. it's sort of funny, though more disappointing, that there are a surprising number of grad students who are burnt out. still, i don't blame them.

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 2:12 am 
Future Drummer

christ, i misread your post ds. i'm the only undergrad in my workshop. based on the close-reading skillz on display here, you should have a good idea of what they think of me

PostPosted: Sat March 23, 2013 2:34 am 
Broken Tamborine

Simple Torture wrote:
Malloy wrote:
Dscans wrote:

PostPosted: Mon April 08, 2013 4:33 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Simple Torture wrote:
Dscans wrote:
Good luck, bro.

Thanks! I'm already through the long exam; I wrote 53 pages of critical prose from Monday the 11th through Sunday the 17th. I'm working on my shorter exam right now; it's only gotta be between 10 and 15 pages, and I have until Saturday morning.

Oh, postscript to this: unfortunately, I was asked to re-write a large portion of my exam. So I have been writing non-stop for the last 4 days or so (except for teaching). I can see daylight (only about 4.5 pages to go), but I will probably be up until 2:00AM again tonight working on it. Then I'll be on campus for 12 hours tomorrow. Goodie! I may try to catch a nap in my car at some point.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 12:37 am 
Broken Tamborine

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Dscans wrote:
Good luck, bro.

Thanks! I'm already through the long exam; I wrote 53 pages of critical prose from Monday the 11th through Sunday the 17th. I'm working on my shorter exam right now; it's only gotta be between 10 and 15 pages, and I have until Saturday morning.

Oh, postscript to this: unfortunately, I was asked to re-write a large portion of my exam. So I have been writing non-stop for the last 4 days or so (except for teaching). I can see daylight (only about 4.5 pages to go), but I will probably be up until 2:00AM again tonight working on it. Then I'll be on campus for 12 hours tomorrow. Goodie! I may try to catch a nap in my car at some point.

Caffeine is your friend.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 1:28 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Dscans wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Dscans wrote:
Good luck, bro.

Caffeine is your friend.

In order to get this finished, I basically wrote from 9:00AM on Sunday until 4:30AM on Monday, slept for an hour and a half, then woke up, drove to school, wrote for another few hours, taught class, tutored, wrote some more, and then finally submitted it at about 2:00PM. And I passed! Caffeine, woohoo!

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 3:13 am 
Broken Tamborine

Would any of you guys be interested in doing a writer's workshop in here? We could just pick one person's submission at a time and share it via Google Drive, and give comments and suggestions. I've been working on short stories lately so I won't be expecting anyone to read my 15K word piece.

PostPosted: Fri April 26, 2013 9:41 pm 
Broken Tamborine

My creative writing professor's poetry book was reviewed on Grantland of all places. His is the third one, x. http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/72982/april-book-recommendations-life-after-life-you-and-x

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:55 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm 152 pages into a novel that's been percolating for almost 8 years. Feels good. And terrifying.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:57 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm 152 pages into a novel that's been percolating for almost 8 years. Feels good. And terrifying.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:58 am 
Technical Overlord

durdencommatyler wrote:

Very cool dude...I've never gave writing like that a shot. Big thumbs up from me.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:17 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Very cool dude...I've never gave writing like that a shot. Big thumbs up from me.

Simple Torture wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Thanks, guys. It's taken awhile, but it's coming along. I admire anyone who has been able to complete one of these things.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:18 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Did you publish a novel? I feel like I remember someone telling me you had. Am I crazy?

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:20 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Self-published, yeah. It's on Amazon now, but when I get into any other serious publishing, I'll probably take it down: http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Places-Mat ... 1453649360

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:42 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
Self-published, yeah. It's on Amazon now, but when I get into any other serious publishing, I'll probably take it down: http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Places-Mat ... 1453649360

I'm gonna pick up a copy.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:53 am 
Technical Overlord

Simple Torture wrote:

Very cool!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:00 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

ST, if you have a few minutes would you give me some insight into self publishing? Pros, cons, expectations, etc?

I'd appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:13 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

It's full of pros if you're just doing it for fun; that is, if your goal is so that your friends can pick up a copy for cheap, then it's relatively easy (the toughest part is formatting your document correctly). Unless something miraculous happens, it's not a solid source of income or anything. Also keep in mind that if you plan on doing serious work down the road (meaning getting an agent, finding a publisher, getting a book deal, or even if you're looking to submit to journals and magazines), anything you self-publish probably won't get looked at.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:16 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
It's full of pros if you're just doing it for fun; that is, if your goal is so that your friends can pick up a copy for cheap, then it's relatively easy (the toughest part is formatting your document correctly). Unless something miraculous happens, it's not a solid source of income or anything. Also keep in mind that if you plan on doing serious work down the road (meaning getting an agent, finding a publisher, getting a book deal, or even if you're looking to submit to journals and magazines), anything you self-publish probably won't get looked at.

Sure, sure. Thanks.

Do you see any shift in that, though? I was at a writing conference today and they tried to skip around the topic, but several editors mentioned self published works. And it seemed to me the stigma is slowly disappearing. And that it can actually serve as a platform for writers.

That hasn't been your experience, I take it?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Release