The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pearl Jam - B-Sides & Rarities Complete Collection
PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 1:38 am 
Broken Tamborine

PHATJ wrote:
Also, why was this one included?

COME BACK (LIVE IN ST PAUL) ....................................... Xcel Energy Center, St Paul, June 26, 2006

I was there so I'm curious of the significance.

It was the b-side of the Life Wasted 7-inch.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 1:41 am 
10Club Complaint Department

delanoche wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Also, why was this one included?

COME BACK (LIVE IN ST PAUL) ....................................... Xcel Energy Center, St Paul, June 26, 2006

It was the b-side of the Life Wasted 7-inch.

:thumbsup: Thanks, I'd totally forgotten that.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 1:53 am 
Future Drummer

PHATJ wrote:
This is really an amazing collection and I can't imagine the countless hours of work. Congrats. I did see a typo; all the easy street recordings are listed as LIVE AT EAST ST.

Again, congrats on this epic project.

Thanks for picking up on that. I've seen a few other typos but I'm sure there's more so keep 'em coming :thumbsup:

PHATJ wrote:
What about the one time cover they did of R.E.M.'s IT HAPPENED TODAY? I know it was on an official boot.

There are probably hundreds of other rarities like this, but the collection is focused only on stuff released on singles, promos, compilations, etc. - not official boots, though there is some overlap, such as...

PHATJ wrote:

It was the b-side to the Life Wasted 7" single:

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 1:57 am 
10Club Complaint Department

ridleybradout wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
This is really an amazing collection and I can't imagine the countless hours of work. Congrats. I did see a typo; all the easy street recordings are listed as LIVE AT EAST ST.

Again, congrats on this epic project.

Thanks for picking up on that. I've seen a few other typos but I'm sure there's more so keep 'em coming :thumbsup:

PHATJ wrote:
What about the one time cover they did of R.E.M.'s IT HAPPENED TODAY? I know it was on an official boot.

There are probably hundreds of other rarities like this, but the collection is focused only on stuff released on singles, promos, compilations, etc. - not official boots, though there is some overlap, such as...

PHATJ wrote:

It was the b-side to the Life Wasted 7" single:

:thumbsup: Thanks for clarifying.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 2:02 am 
tl;dr

Assuming the live tracks from the "Dissident" and "Animal" singles were omitted since we have a complete soundboard of that show?

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 2:43 am 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Assuming the live tracks from the "Dissident" and "Animal" singles were omitted since we have a complete soundboard of that show?

Yeah I consider the 'Live in Atlanta' 3 CD set a standalone release, like Drop In The Park and Orpheum 94. The couple of tracks from the latter two (sourced from radio samplers) are included as they trump the lossy official release of the tracks :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 4:46 pm 
Future Drummer

Birds in Hell wrote:
From my (possibly unreliable) memory, Ed originally intended Speed of Sound for Ron Wood's album but it didn't end up coming together so he claimed it back.

If that's true, it could be that the Speed of Sound (demo) recording was not really an early demo at all, but something he recorded just prior to it being released as the treasure hunt reward. The cut may have been recorded while in Hawaii with Ron Wood as part of whatever they were planning at that time. IT would make sense as it seems Eddie tends to play songs live that he has either just conceived or just spent time with in the studio. Seems a bit coincidental to play it live just after recording with someone where he mentioned possibly using the tune, and then within a month, release a version of the song as part of the treasure hunt thing.

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 4:51 pm 
Future Drummer

And if that's true, could it also be true that ancient aliens built the fucking pyramids?

Spoiler: show
Sorry, the phrase "if that's true" just reminded me of this dude

PostPosted: Wed March 18, 2015 5:24 pm 
Rank This Poster

god, that reminds me of the hideous album art for the avocado album. that art was like low-budget metal band bad.

PostPosted: Fri March 20, 2015 3:16 am 
Banned from the Pit

What about the acoustic Future Days?

PostPosted: Fri March 20, 2015 5:22 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

blueavocado3 wrote:

PostPosted: Fri March 20, 2015 2:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

This is magnificent. Great work, team.

PostPosted: Sun March 22, 2015 2:32 am 
Future Drummer

blueavocado3 wrote:

How do I not know about this?

PostPosted: Sun March 22, 2015 4:36 am 
Future Drummer

lowlight79 wrote:
blueavocado3 wrote:

How do I not know about this?

Isn't this just the IEM leak of Ed playing it at the Wrigley show?

PostPosted: Tue March 24, 2015 2:54 am 
Future Drummer

Yes, yes it is

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 8:18 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I'm typically just a lurker, but I have to chime in here. This is a hugely appreciated undertaking. Brad's compilations are always top notch, and this may be the best (and most ambitious) yet.

PostPosted: Thu April 16, 2015 11:46 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I'm JasonA, and I approve of this project! :thumbsup: Nice to see someone take it over, I no longer have the time nor motivation to keep this thing current.

One thing I might suggest is not "remastering" anything. JWB has done some fine work fixing up live shows, etc., and I appreciate the work involved. But for me, personally, I'd prefer to have all these tracks pure and unfutzed with - even if they don't sound perfectly smooth played back next to one another. For me, fading live tracks in and out at the beginning and end is about as far as I'd go with remastering things - no level changes, EQ, etc.

It's not my project any more and I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do, but I think there may be other fans with preferences similar to mine. Maybe, if there's enough interest, you could release two versions - one set with JWB's remastering changes made, and another set just as-is without the remastering?

Either way, I'm keeping an eye on this thread and look forward to the final results.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2015 5:37 am 
Future Drummer

JasonA wrote:
I'm JasonA, and I approve of this project! :thumbsup: Nice to see someone take it over, I no longer have the time nor motivation to keep this thing current.

One thing I might suggest is not "remastering" anything. JWB has done some fine work fixing up live shows, etc., and I appreciate the work involved. But for me, personally, I'd prefer to have all these tracks pure and unfutzed with - even if they don't sound perfectly smooth played back next to one another. For me, fading live tracks in and out at the beginning and end is about as far as I'd go with remastering things - no level changes, EQ, etc.

It's not my project any more and I'm not trying to tell anybody what to do, but I think there may be other fans with preferences similar to mine. Maybe, if there's enough interest, you could release two versions - one set with JWB's remastering changes made, and another set just as-is without the remastering?

Either way, I'm keeping an eye on this thread and look forward to the final results.

I've been seriously thinking about this. I think the problem is that the differences are too extreme, even on the first disc. You've got normally mastered stuff that is very clear, maybe a bit too bright. And then you've got the recent stuff which has no treble to speak of but tons of upper-midrange and bass and it's massively massively compressed and loud. It really is a jarring mis-match of epic proportions. Any normal person would find it distracting. I was able to piece together a version of the first disc that revolves around the "normal" stuff. It's not bad at all. But I'm starting to think that it would be too much effort to equalize every non-perfect track on this set, and I can see how that would be undesirable for some. I'm thinking perhaps we should leave the EQ as-is all across the board, but make level adjustments only on the really, really super loud shit. A compromise of sorts. It will also be ready sooner.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2015 4:25 pm 
Poster of the Year

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
JasonA wrote:

I've been seriously thinking about this. I think the problem is that the differences are too extreme, even on the first disc. You've got normally mastered stuff that is very clear, maybe a bit too bright. And then you've got the recent stuff which has no treble to speak of but tons of upper-midrange and bass and it's massively massively compressed and loud. It really is a jarring mis-match of epic proportions. Any normal person would find it distracting. I was able to piece together a version of the first disc that revolves around the "normal" stuff. It's not bad at all. But I'm starting to think that it would be too much effort to equalize every non-perfect track on this set, and I can see how that would be undesirable for some. I'm thinking perhaps we should leave the EQ as-is all across the board, but make level adjustments only on the really, really super loud shit. A compromise of sorts. It will also be ready sooner.

I agree with this. Level collection is fine but keep the eq as is.

This should be seen more as a collection of artifacts, so the less you do to them the better, even if the sound is disjointed track to track.

PostPosted: Sat April 18, 2015 1:31 pm 
mXn

I thought I was a big fan but holy shit this is off the charts.

Very impressive.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 486 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam