The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post subject: Mushroom thread...
PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 1:50 pm 
AnalLog

why?

because they are delicious. and for the past year, my brother has been trying to get me to go morel hunting with him. he has found lbs of these supposedly deliciously decadent fleshy fungi. and he has eaten EVERY LAST ONE. so yea, these things must be amazing.

so how do you like your shrooms?

sauteed, deep fried, raw, on cereal?

let's talk people.

Post subject: Re: Mushroom thread...
PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 2:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

If you're ever making turkey burgers, I suggest giving some mushrooms about 10 pulses in the processor and adding them -- they help drier meats retain moisture better (that and gelatine).

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 2:34 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Chris_H_2 wrote:
If you're ever making turkey burgers, I suggest giving some mushrooms about 10 pulses in the processor and adding them -- they help drier meats retain moisture better (that and gelatine).

Interesting. I'll have to try that next time I make turkey burgers. To retain the moisture, I've been using eggs, but I don't know if that is the best way to do it or not.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 2:37 pm 
AnalLog

darth_vedder wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

Interesting. I'll have to try that next time I make turkey burgers. To retain the moisture, I've been using eggs, but I don't know if that is the best way to do it or not.

definitely sounds interesting. going to try this soon.

thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 2:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

darth_vedder wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I suspect that the eggs don't help retain moisture as well (they give off moisture just like the meat), but are used to bind the meat. The mushrooms act as a sponge. But you really don't need a binder for ground turkey because it sticks and forms a patty pretty well. Ground chicken on the other hand . . .

And I don't pretend to take credit for this -- America's Test Kitchen gave me this idea.

Edit: the mushrooms give off a beefy flavor as well, which is great for ground turkey and chicken.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 2:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Chris_H_2 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I suspect that the eggs don't help retain moisture as well (they give off moisture just like the meat), but are used to bind the meat. The mushrooms act as a sponge. But you really don't need a binder for ground turkey because it sticks and forms a patty pretty well. Ground chicken on the other hand . . .

And I don't pretend to take credit for this -- America's Test Kitchen gave me this idea.

Good idea nonetheless, thanks for sharing :)

I need to learn more about 'shrooms, both the kind you eat and the kind used for tripping. I like both uses.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2013 5:16 pm 
Broken Tamborine

darth_vedder wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

I need to learn more about 'shrooms, both the kind you eat and the kind used for tripping. I like both uses.

I miss trippin' on 'shrooms. Such a pleasant, happy trip.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2013 1:40 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Goddamn portobellos guys. Goddman portobellos.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2013 2:35 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

WtOB? wrote:

^ That looks great! I may have to try grilling a portobello, I've never tried. I wonder if they go well with a smoke flavor such as apple or cherry wood?

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2013 2:37 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

vegman wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

Me too friend, me too. Now that I'm old, I have no idea where to even get those fuckers. Fortunately I can still find sweet mary jane, but I have no idea where to even go for shrooms (other than going to a college campus and being an old creepy guy asking if any of the college kids have some).

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2013 1:37 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

darth_vedder wrote:
WtOB? wrote:

^ That looks great! I may have to try grilling a portobello, I've never tried. I wonder if they go well with a smoke flavor such as apple or cherry wood?

Give it a try and report back.

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2013 1:50 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

darth_vedder wrote:
vegman wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

Me too friend, me too. Now that I'm old, I have no idea where to even get those fuckers. Fortunately I can still find sweet mary jane, but I have no idea where to even go for shrooms (other than going to a college campus and being an old creepy guy asking if any of the college kids have some).

you can actually buy them on the internet.
:D I've heard

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2013 12:01 pm 
Broken Tamborine

knee tunes wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
vegman wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:

you can actually buy them on the internet.
:D I've heard

I could get them pretty easily I just have no time for them any more. You can't trip balls with a toddler in the house. The same goes for the green except for some special occasions.
:cry:

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:35 pm 
AnalLog

so yea, morels ARE amazing. my bro went hunting early morning today and him and his buddy found 60+. he sauteed up a bunch this afternoon. absolutely delicious.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:49 pm 
Rank This Poster

is this the right thread to talk about the stoned ape theory?

Post subject: mushrooms
PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 11:08 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I found an old puffball today. I see now why they're given that name. Not because you smoke them, but because they blow out their spores like a puff of smoke. It's a worthwhile hobby to get into i reckon.

Post subject: Re: mushrooms
PostPosted: Wed October 30, 2013 12:48 am 
post-structuralist

so this isn't the kind of mushroom thread I thought it was going to be :(

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed October 30, 2013 12:54 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

malice wrote:

I had those kind of mushrooms in Baltimore. They totally mellowed me out and gave me a good feeling throughout the show. An added bonus was I didn't care about beer, so didn't spend money on it, or have to pee every 1/2 hour.

PostPosted: Wed October 30, 2013 12:55 am 
post-structuralist

darth_vedder wrote:
malice wrote:

I had those kind of mushrooms in Baltimore. They totally mellowed me out and gave me a good feeling throughout the show. An added bonus was I didn't care about beer, so didn't spend money on it, or have to pee every 1/2 hour.

i honestly miss that kind of mushroom. lots of fun they were.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed October 30, 2013 12:59 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

malice wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
malice wrote:

i honestly miss that kind of mushroom. lots of fun they were.

That was my first time since 2007...the older I get the harder it is to come across them. Fortunately the friend I went with had a small stash stored in his freezer and we munched them down before we headed inside. Those little fuckers are fun. Hopefully I can find some more soon, I think it was the last of his stash.

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining