The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Movie: Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation
PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 2:44 pm 
The Master

Let me put it this way:

I tell you that the world is actually ruled by an invisible floating rabbit wearing a cowboy hat. You would call me insane and say that's ridiculous.

Now, flash forward 1000 years. Now, 70% of the population believes without hesitation that the world is actually ruled by an invisible floating rabbit wearing a cowboy hat. Is the assertion not still just as ridiculous?

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 2:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:
tommymtcom wrote:
I'm not saying Christianity isn't nuts, just that it's part of our cultural heritage, which makes it easier (and more understandable) to believe. Scientology, on the other hand, is very clearly a load of bullshit made up by a con man. Someone being a Christian doesn't make me lose respect for them, but someone being a scientologist does.

Also, Scientology's story is definitely crazier than Christianity's:

Quote:
Xenu (/ˈziːnuː/),[1][2][3] also called "Xemu", was, according to Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, the dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" who 75 million years ago brought billions[4][5] of his people to Earth (then known as "Teegeeack") in a DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes, and killed them with hydrogen bombs. Official Scientology scriptures hold that the thetans (immortal spirits) of these aliens adhere to humans, causing spiritual harm

CHRISTIANS LITERALLY WORSHIP A ZOMBIE! That's not off the chain insane to you?!

Like you just admitted, you understand/accept one over the other because it's been around longer. That's it. The fact that anyone actually literally believes in the stories of Christianity is bizarre to me. Faith is one thing, whatever. But if you believe a man died and came back from the dead then disappeared and might maybe probably come back one day and take some folks over to his place for a while before coming back for the others, I don't know what to tell you.

Most Christians are brain washed (for lack of a better term) from birth to believe what they believe. Tom Cruise made the decision to believe that scientology nonsense as an adult. Surely, that makes him more of a weirdo than the average Christian.

For the record, I agree with you and LV that Christianity is nuts. All I am saying is that it is more understandable to believe in Jesus than Xenu because it is such a huge part of our shared cultural experience.

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 2:46 pm 
The Master

tommymtcom wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tommymtcom wrote:
I'm not saying Christianity isn't nuts, just that it's part of our cultural heritage, which makes it easier (and more understandable) to believe. Scientology, on the other hand, is very clearly a load of bullshit made up by a con man. Someone being a Christian doesn't make me lose respect for them, but someone being a scientologist does.

Quote:
Xenu (/ˈziːnuː/),[1][2][3] also called "Xemu", was, according to Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, the dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" who 75 million years ago brought billions[4][5] of his people to Earth (then known as "Teegeeack") in a DC-8-like spacecraft, stacked them around volcanoes, and killed them with hydrogen bombs. Official Scientology scriptures hold that the thetans (immortal spirits) of these aliens adhere to humans, causing spiritual harm

Like you just admitted, you understand/accept one over the other because it's been around longer. That's it. The fact that anyone actually literally believes in the stories of Christianity is bizarre to me. Faith is one thing, whatever. But if you believe a man died and came back from the dead then disappeared and might maybe probably come back one day and take some folks over to his place for a while before coming back for the others, I don't know what to tell you.

Most Christians are brain washed (for lack of a better term) from birth to believe what they believe. Tom Cruise made the decision to believe that scientology nonsense as an adult. Surely, that makes him more of a weirdo than the average Christian.

For the record, I agree with you and LV that Christianity is nuts. All I am saying is that it is more understandable to believe in Jesus than Xenu because it is such a huge part of our shared cultural experience.

So you'd rather someone be a brainwashed, unthinking conformist than a bonkers individual who thinks for himself, no matter how crazy his conclusions may be? At least the second one is more interesting.

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 2:48 pm 
Rank This Poster

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tommymtcom wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tommymtcom wrote:

Quote:

So you'd rather someone be a brainwashed, unthinking conformist than a bonkers individual who thinks for himself, no matter how crazy his conclusions may be? At least the second one is more interesting.

I would rather neither, to be honest. I just feel one is more understandable than the other.

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 2:51 pm 
The Master

tommymtcom wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
tommymtcom wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tommymtcom wrote:

Quote:

I would rather neither, to be honest. I just feel one is more understandable than the other.

Yeah, we certainly agree on the first part. But I do think there's something kind of interesting about how certain artists' egos lead them into strange religious territory. I kind of look at Tom Cruise's Scientology the same way I look at Kanye's Christianity - it strikes me like a somewhat insane artist needing something insane in order to create their best art and, therefore, become their best self.

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 2:52 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tommymtcom wrote:

That's what vermin and I are saying though. It's only more understandable to believe in Jesus that Xenu BECAUSE it is such a huge part of our shared cultural experience. If Scientology had come first and Christianity was the new craze you'd feel the same about Scientology as you do Christianity. That's the point here.

And, yes, Tom Cruise is a weirder than the average Christian. But he's also a way better actor than the average Christian too. So what are you gonna do?

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 2:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:
tommymtcom wrote:

That's what vermin and I are saying though. It's only more understandable to believe in Jesus that Xenu BECAUSE it is such a huge part of our shared cultural experience. If Scientology had come first and Christianity was the new craze you'd feel the same about Scientology as you do Christianity. That's the point here.

Well, I think LV was negating the importance of the shared cultural experience part, but yeah it seems like we agree.

Should we go back to talking MI now?

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 3:06 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

FYI, when I have time later tonight I'm taking all of these religious posts out of this thread and moving them to the appropriate N&D thread.

Post subject: Re: The God topic
PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 3:18 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Bump for LV, joey, and tommy.

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 3:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

We worked things out already, but thanks.

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Funny, I was pondering whether or not to link to this article, and then I see this thread on the top. So I might as well just go for it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... devil.html

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 3:21 pm 

tommymtcom wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

We worked things out already, but thanks.

I was actually just bumping it so it would be easier to move those posts to this thread.

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 7:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

This is the thread I come to when I want to be reminded that I'm just a brainwashed, unthinking conformist - now I can get on with my day

PostPosted: Wed March 25, 2015 8:02 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Sorry you have to put up with these jerks, Rangi. Beware the internet.

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2015 12:22 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Good read.

Arian Foster: 'I don't believe in God'

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13369 ... ieving-god

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2015 2:54 am 
Site Admin

turned2black wrote:
Good read.

Arian Foster: 'I don't believe in God'

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13369 ... ieving-god
Read that earlier, good stuff. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2015 3:17 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Team

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2015 3:23 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

darth_vedder wrote:
Team

Tommy was right and those other two guys are knuckleheads.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2015 3:41 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Speaking of mass delusion, looks like presidential election time is here.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Fri August 07, 2015 3:46 am 
The Master

Looks like ive been missing a good thread here!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 912 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 46  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate