The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1236 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: The Stand-up Comedian Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 4:12 am 
Rank This Poster

i love stand-up. this is a thread to give others the heads up on albums and specials we should hear or see, post youtube bits that absolutely killed, and just discuss this brilliant art form.

here are some discussion starters:

i fell in love with stand-up: when i saw steven wright's hbo special in the 80s. i recorded it on vhs and literally wore it out.

my favorite comedian is: louis ck. i know he's a popular choice now, but i've been following him since the hbo night of the young
comedians special. he was on the same night as dave chappelle. i wore that tape out too.

upcoming concert i'm excited about: bill burr. i've never seen him, but i actually injured myself listening to him while lifting
weights. seeing him on my birthday in march.

favorite bit by an opening act you can't remember the name of: "ever see jesus on the cross and just think, wow. look at those
abs. the guy could have had his own workout video - the body of
christ."

fuck me, this should be in a&e.

Post subject: Re: The Stand-up Comedian Thread
PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 4:55 am 
Poster of the Year

Shouldn't this be in arts and entertainment?

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 4:59 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

daft twat wrote:
fuck me, this should be in a&e.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 5:01 am 
Poster of the Year

I don't read posts.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 1:26 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

Love stand-up. Some of my favourites:

Eddie Izzard
Bill Hicks
George Carlin
Dylan Moran
Greg? Giraldo

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 2:12 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I have seen about 30 stand-up comedians, including Louis C.K., Norm Macdonald, Margaret Cho, Ralphy May, Zach Galifianakis and by far the funniest was Bob Marley.

Some of the highlights include:
Norm Macdonald attacking a heckler for about 20 minutes. The heckler literally started crying and left the venue.
Going to the Margaret Cho show with my 65-year-old aunt expecting the same comedy from her TV show and instead getting 2 hours of stories about her various sexual experiences with other women. (Yes, I should have researched her stand-up before taking my aunt.)
Janeane Garofalo being so unfunny that half the audience left. She tried to say that the crowd was too conservative for her routine, but really it was just incredibly lame.
The wife and I had the worst table in the house and Jay Mohr came and sat with us (and bought us drinks) during the opener's routine. He was incredibly nice and his stand-up was surprisingly great.
Bob Marley had everybody laughing so hard that I was pretty sure the old guy next to us was gonna drop dead of a heart attack.

Bill Hicks is my favorite comedian and I really wish I could have seen him.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 10:01 pm 
AnalLog

I worship at the altar of Carlin...even at the end he was still sharp as could be...although at the end he became seemingly less comedy and more commentary with a humorous bent

Robert Schimmel was hilarious, so was Patrice O'Neal, we lost both of those guys way too soon...I remember seeing Patrice in small rooms in Boston when no one knew who he was and he would just slay the entire room

Norm Macdonald is great and one of the funniest stand up specials I ever remember seeing was David Spade back in 98 or 99...maybe I'd watch it now and would think it was completely unfunny, but on the night I watched it, I remember my sides hurting and gasping for breath

Surprised someone mentioned Marley, you must be from New England, and more than likely, Maine...I think he's funny but I don't get the way some people worship him

Guilty pleasures would include Jeff Dunham (he sucks as a ventriloquist but I think he's pretty mindlessly funny) and Gabriel Iglesias (perhaps the most likable stand up comedian?)...

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 10:42 pm 
Future Drummer

I was going to see Mitch Hedberg, but then he died.

PostPosted: Mon February 11, 2013 10:47 pm 
Polluted

daft twat wrote:
upcoming concert i'm excited about: bill burr. i've never seen him, but i actually injured myself listening to him while lifting weights. seeing him on my birthday in march.

I've watched, and enjoyed, the few specials he has on Netflix.

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2013 12:05 am 
Poster of the Year

I'm seeing Bill Burr this month.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 1:51 pm 
Rank This Poster

Still in the wrong forum, but a bump since louis ck's new hbo special premieres tonight

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 9:49 pm 
Banned from the Pit

MattA75 wrote:
I worship at the altar of Carlin...even at the end he was still sharp as could be...although at the end he became seemingly less comedy and more commentary with a humorous bent

Same here. I was lucky enough to be front row for Carlin in '04 when he was touring prior to "Life Is Worth Losing" and just before (or maybe just after?) he entered rehab. I'll never forget that night - the guy was ON!

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2013 12:03 am 

I still laugh at Mitch Hedburgs comdedy central bit after all these years.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2013 3:18 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

turned2black wrote:
Janeane Garofalo being so unfunny that half the audience left. She tried to say that the crowd was too conservative for her routine, but really it was just incredibly lame.

It's a shame how Janeane Garofalo turned out. She used to be so funny and cute and nowdays she's just boring, super-serious, miserable, asexual and not funny at all. :thumbsdown:

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2013 3:46 am 

WtOB? wrote:
turned2black wrote:

It's a shame how Janeane Garofalo turned out. She used to be so funny and cute and nowdays she's just boring, super-serious, miserable, asexual and not funny at all. :thumbsdown:

She was cute, wasn't she? I remember thinking that as a 15 y/o. I haven't seen or heard much from her since mystery men. Just kind of flew off my radar. Sounds like there is a reason for it.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2013 6:05 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

TheDapperGent wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
turned2black wrote:

She was cute, wasn't she? I remember thinking that as a 15 y/o. I haven't seen or heard much from her since mystery men. Just kind of flew off my radar. Sounds like there is a reason for it.

This has got me interested. What's her schtick now days exactly?

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2013 6:30 am 
A Return To Form

Of course I love the legends already mentioned. But I always loved Greg? Giraldo. I saw him in a small basement club that held maybe a hundred people. There was a couple making out at a table along the wall. He kept trying to tell them to stop throughout his set and they would just keep going. He finally walked from the stage, up to their table and mimicked jerking off to them. I guess it's a "you had to be there" story, but I've never seen that many people laughing so hard. (until Book of Mormon)

Anyway, RIP Greg? Giraldo.

Oh and RIP Eddie Murphy. Hasn't he pretty much been dead after Raw? (other than Coming to America)

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2013 6:39 am 

MitchCumstein wrote:
There was a couple making out at a table along the wall. He kept trying to tell them to stop throughout his set and they would just keep going. He finally walked from the stage, up to their table and mimicked jerking off to them. I guess it's a "you had to be there" story, but I've never seen that many people laughing so hard.

Nope. It translates, I laughed.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2013 2:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

Louis is on an unbelievable run. "Oh my God" is really really funny.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2013 2:48 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Fuzzcharger wrote:
TheDapperGent wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
turned2black wrote:

This has got me interested. What's her schtick now days exactly?

She's still around, she's just neglecting her duties as a woman to be cute and sexual.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1236 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 62  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment