The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: The Best Moment in Backspacer
PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 3:06 pm 
The worst

In this thread we talk about the best moments in Backspacer

Ten
Vs
Vitalogy
No Code
Yield
Binaural
Riot Act
S/T

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post subject: Re: The Best Moment in Backspacer
PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 3:08 pm 
The Master

Johnny Guitar Bridge
Coming out of the bridge on Gonna See my Friends (and drum fill heading into the last chorus)
When amongst the waves is over

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 3:17 pm 
The worst

6 years out or however long it's been this record seems pretty solidified in my number 4 or 5 spot. Probably 4.

GSMF: The burst of joyful, coming apart at the seams energy that bookends the song

Got Some: Probably the intro/outro. I really like the song but it never quite lives up to its frantic promise, and I wish that end played out a bit longer

The Fixer: Hard to pick a moment. Probably the two verses. I love the music and I like the formula in the lyrics and how the build to the 'fight to get it back again' moment

Johnny Guitar: The filthy bridge. It's not a moment, but I do think this was some of Eddie's most impressive work with vocal melodies. This song should trip him up, and he just coasts right through it.

Just Breathe: The lovely 'I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love' moment--his best understated schmaltzy moment.

Amongst the Waves: I think the verses in this song are top notch, but I also love the dreamy haze in the music. It's too bad they went with such an unsubtle chorus.

Unthought Known: Although the song never reaches its full potential I still get a charge when the drums and piano kick in and the song starts to pick up. And the gems and rhinestones and 'dream the dreams of other men' moments are pretty great.

Supersonic: It's a good bridge. It does have that going for it.

Speed of Sound: I am probably in the minority in being glad they explored a richer, full band version. Eddie's demo still felt like too much of a sketch. I just wish it was a little less clangy. I do like the cacophonous climax to the song (right around the 'it's gone so quiet now' lyric).

Force of Nature: This is a top 15 song for me, an all time favorite, and that is in spite of the asthmatic beginning and somewhat uninspired 80s training montage music. But once Eddie starts singing and the song really begins it's all great. I think I have three favorite moments. The 'somewhere there's a siren singing' lyric and delivery', the music in the second verse (there's so much cool stuff going on there), and mike's outro playing, which is inspirational.

The End: This is such a one note song that it's hard to pick a moment. I like the song, but no one part stands out.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 3:23 pm 
The Master

I really do adore what they did with Speed of Sound. The crescendo is especially wonderful

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 3:36 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Been waiting all year for this:

When it ends.

BOOM! Nailed it.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 3:43 pm 
The worst

it is one of the more striking album conclusions in the catalog. Nice choice, Burt!

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 3:46 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Mike's anemic lead that kicks off Force of Nature

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 4:03 pm 
The Beef

Easily on Unthought Known when Matt's drums open up from "Feel the sky blanket you". It sounds like how driving up a forested hill and suddenly cresting over a spectacular view feels.

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 4:54 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

stip wrote:
it is one of the more striking album conclusions in the catalog. Nice choice, Burt!

Is The End on Backspacer? huh.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 5:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

the fact that it took me so long to realize that stip is a joke account is my greatest shame. well done, sir.

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 6:52 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Supersonic has def grown on me. Didn't original care for it. However, that breakdown is ace.

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 10:26 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

The best part is the bridge on Supersonic, which is great. There are very few other moments on the entire album even worth a listen.

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 11:00 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

This album is so taught and airless, so suffocating that most moments have been quashed or feel forced.

GSMF has a few nice energetic moments, the opening vocals and drum fill into that verse.

The opening of the Fixer is great. It's a nice riff with a good sound. The drums propel.

UK - ABN perfectly surmised the moment when the drums open up.

That's about it, Maybe Ed's vocal performance on FoN but it's not a moment. Matt owns most of these moments and is strong across the whole album (but SoS beat feels forced).

PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 11:02 pm 
A Return To Form

Backspacer is great. I cannot quite express how much better than Avocado this is. Avocado has one good song. Backspacer has one bad song. That is the difference. Apart from Force of Nature, which is crap - every other song on this record beats anything on Avocado. A mediocre song like "Jonny Guitar" is better than pretty much the entire self-titled debacle.

Did I mention I don't like Avocado?!?!

Top 3 songs/moments:

The End. Completely heartfelt and gorgeous and perfect. I love how Eddie's voice strains for the high notes for "I will take the blame but just the same this is not me".

Gonna See My Friend. This is how to open an album. Killer. Best moment is the low singing of the chorus hook, followed by the final growly higher part. Grit. And it's FUN. Nothing before this song is FUN.

Speed of Sound. Yes, I prefer the acoustic version, but this is still lovely. The last 30 seconds till the end are anthemic.

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 2:04 am 
Broken Tamborine

samiad wrote:
Backspacer is great. I cannot quite express how much better than Avocado this is. Avocado has one good song. Backspacer has one bad song. That is the difference. Apart from Force of Nature, which is crap - every other song on this record beats anything on Avocado. A mediocre song like "Jonny Guitar" is better than pretty much the entire self-titled debacle.

Did I mention I don't like Avocado?!?!

Top 3 songs/moments:

The End. Completely heartfelt and gorgeous and perfect. I love how Eddie's voice strains for the high notes for "I will take the blame but just the same this is not me".

Gonna See My Friend. This is how to open an album. Killer. Best moment is the low singing of the chorus hook, followed by the final growly higher part. Grit. And it's FUN. Nothing before this song is FUN.

Speed of Sound. Yes, I prefer the acoustic version, but this is still lovely. The last 30 seconds till the end are anthemic.

Understanding this is a Backspacer thread, what is the one song you like on Avocado?

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 6:42 am 
Poster of the Year

That last breath and the end of The End.

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 8:46 am 
AnalLog

Probably FoN. The entire song. Hard to pick a particular moment.

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 10:49 am 
The worst

cutuphalfdead wrote:
That last breath and the end of The End.

That was really striking the first time I heard it.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 2:09 pm 
A Return To Form

The only song I like on Avocado is Come Back. FYI.

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 5:31 pm 
A Return To Form

I hadn't really listened to Backspacer fully for a good year or so, never been a huge fan. However, popped it on in the car yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

I still think its too short and a lot of it feels compressed without room to breathe, but there are some splendid moments.

Johnny Guitar - the bridge. Funky, weird, excellent vocals from Ed.

Unthought Known - I love that I can play it on guitar, but that's neither here nor there. Same as what others have mentioned...when it really starts to kick in with the drums and vocals - "Feel the sky blanket you...."

Just Breathe - from 2:52 onwards. Ed's "As I come clean, uhh huhhh...." into the little instrumental, which then leads to some Ed humming before the final verse. Gorgeous.

Speed Of Sound - the way Ed sings the "Not much left ya see" in the higher register compared to the demo version. I prefer Ed's solo recording still, but that moment on the full band one just raises the song so much.

Force Of Nature - Everything apart from the intro. My favourite from the album. Lyrically, its wonderful and tells a great story.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam