The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2014 Official Bootlegs
PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 7:53 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Wouldn't it be really cool if Pearl Jam worked the Vault series harder with special live releases to their very best shows spanning the entire catalog (1991 to present)?

Maybe take some ideas from Third Man Records, or the folks who do the Grateful Dead live releases to special shows.

The 10c needs to get even more creative than just bootlegs on CD and Apple iTunes, and the occasional Vault releases.

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 8:20 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

breakerfall66 wrote:
Wouldn't it be really cool if Pearl Jam worked the Vault series harder with special live releases to their very best shows spanning the entire catalog (1991 to present)?

Maybe take some ideas from Third Man Records, or the folks who do the Grateful Dead live releases to special shows.

The 10c needs to get even more creative than just bootlegs on CD and Apple iTunes, and the occasional Vault releases.

This would be great because it would finally disavow those PJ anorak fans of the notion that they somehow played better/played perfectly up as far as 98-2000. They didn't. They were always messy live.

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 8:37 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

dimejinky99 wrote:
when some like Spenno(not picking on you Spenn), can knock holes in a gig cos jeff fluffs a note or mike or whoever, and that makes it a shit show, or an argument for them being terrible, we're in a different place.

Er, while I might point out some musical slip-ups, particularly if I'm approaching the shows with the critical mindset that I do when putting together a mix, I think you've misunderstood my posts if you take that as meaning I think the band are terrible and the shows are irredeemably shit.

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 8:43 pm 
Banned from the Pit

dimejinky99 wrote:
breakerfall66 wrote:

This would be great because it would finally disavow those PJ anorak fans of the notion that they somehow played better/played perfectly up as far as 98-2000. They didn't. They were always messy live.

I agree. Every Pearl Jam fan has a favorite era or two that stands out over the others.

I have always favored the 1991-1994 inception era for the band. Just listen to Drop in the Park ('92) and the Orpheum show in Boston ('94) as well as the awesome Fox Theatre show in Atlanta. Intense flavored and technically when they were at their best. WOW!!!!

Another era I favor is the 2000-2006 era. Pearl Jam put on some awesome tours in this timeframe. The studio LPs were unfairly criticized. They had a really smooth, crisp sound that took them to another level of live show performing.

I favor those two eras, but we still go to the shows now, and have witnessed some really good Pearl Jam shows. My girlfriend and I love traveling to see the band.

I will re-evaluate some of these 2014 shows that are wildly popular on the board.

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 8:46 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

breakerfall66 wrote:

I wouldn't mind more shows being released but I'm very happy with the delivery method currently being used, I'd be horrified to see them go even further into vinyl fetishism like Third Man.

dimejinky99 wrote:

You can listen to the shows right now to check if you want, they were quite clearly a more powerful and more consistent live band from 1991 through 2000 than they have been at any time after (which isn't to say the shows now aren't very enjoyable in their own right).

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 8:57 pm 

Birds in Hell wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
when some like Spenno(not picking on you Spenn), can knock holes in a gig cos jeff fluffs a note or mike or whoever, and that makes it a shit show, or an argument for them being terrible, we're in a different place.

Er, while I might point out some musical slip-ups, particularly if I'm approaching the shows with the critical mindset that I do when putting together a mix, I think you've misunderstood my posts if you take that as meaning I think the band are terrible and the shows are irredeemably shit.

you recently blamed Jeff fluffing a note among the reasons you couldn't enjoy a show
I'm not dong a blame thing. You listen to far more boots than the regular fans do, and thats fine, but you continuously forget these arent albums..they are live performances. There will be mistakes. I'm sure there are bands who are note perfect every night, i'm saying i don't think it's an awful gig or pearl jam are shit, for still playing in the moment. It means nothing but good things that their show has managed to keep its human element. Give it their all, play from the heart. Oh shit Mike fucked up a note or ed forgot a lyric...theyve clearly lost it.....seriously?

thats gonna ruin a show for you?

if so, you probably need to stop listening on such a aspergic level and just enjoy it..we were not there. We dont know how good it was.

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 8:57 pm 

Birds in Hell wrote:
breakerfall66 wrote:

I wouldn't mind more shows being released but I'm very happy with the delivery method currently being used, I'd be horrified to see them go even further into vinyl fetishism like Third Man.

dimejinky99 wrote:

You can listen to the shows right now to check if you want, they were quite clearly a more powerful and more consistent live band from 1991 through 2000 than they have been at any time after (which isn't to say the shows now aren't very enjoyable in their own right).

again, no. those shows are to your taste. thats all.

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 9:01 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

dimejinky99 wrote:
you recently blamed Jeff fluffing a note among the reasons you couldn't enjoy a show

Er, I did?

dimejinky99 wrote:
you continuously forget these arent albums..they are live performances.

Er, I do?

dimejinky99 wrote:
i'm saying i don't think it's an awful gig or pearl jam are shit, for still playing in the moment.

Er, and I do?

dimejinky99 wrote:
Oh shit Mike fucked up a note or ed forgot a lyric...theyve clearly lost it.....seriously?

thats gonna ruin a show for you?

I don't know if you're still talking to me at this point or not...

dimejinky99 wrote:
if so, you probably need to stop listening on such a aspergic level and just enjoy it..we were not there. We dont know how good it was.

Let's hope not.

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 9:02 pm 
Future Drummer

dimejinky99 wrote:
breakerfall66 wrote:

True... but before Jack, they were way more intense and felt like they had something to prove. That Atlanta '94 show was pretty damn perfect, and so was the Dallas show I went to in '93.

Once Jack came into the fold, the band really loosened up and created more space in their performances, which exposed the mistakes. Ed obviously didn't give a fuck with his singing in 95, though. That was by far the roughest I've ever heard him sing. Maybe he was sick or something. 93-96 was the sweet spot for me.

I do think that the band became self aware around 03-04, and began changing/trying to perfect their performances, and it was after that point when I felt like they were not as good/passionate/intense/whatever.

Then Avocado/Backspacer, while still very good, were not nearly on the same level as the previous albums... and that's not based on any reviews/forums/friends' opinions. Once I started reading the forums (06 or thereabouts), I realized others felt the exact same way I did, which confirmed my own thoughts and fed a downward-spiraling opinion of the band.

Then I forgot about/ignored PJ for the first time in my life in about '07/08.

When Ed came to Dallas solo in '12, I went. It was great!

Then LB was released. I started paying attention again, started reading the forums again, the RM forum gave it horrible reviews, but the wife and squid dug it. I thought it was better than the previous two, but not by much. The. New Orleans happened. I thought it (and the whole tour) really sucked!

It's good to see them recovering from the debacle tour of 2013, and the Denver show was pretty awesome. I will, however, probably always be jaded in my view of the band... Ed talks too much, too many extra syllables, Matt can't keep time in an interesting way anymore, they charge too much, changed their values, etc...

All the cliche's that have been beaten into the ground here.

All that being said... They're still very special to me, and better than most of what out there.

:peace:

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 9:09 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Birds in Hell wrote:
Jeff makes a few blunders in Swallowed Whole but I still think it's the best attempt I've heard yet. Mike's solo is perfect.

SHOW RUINED.

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 9:21 pm 

you ruined Leeds..this serves as an analogy for your ruin agenda..stop ruining shows Spenno..thats all

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 9:28 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

My grand plan is finally revealed.

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 9:32 pm 

tadahhh!

its true though..youre unable to let a show just be great..nitpic all you want, one fluffed note or lyric, does not make a show awful

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 9:43 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 10:10 pm 

you're railing against your own post history..if it isnt from pre-2000, you hate it. occassional mentions for 2006..

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 10:58 pm 
Champion of RM

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 11:11 pm 

He's busy compiling and rewriting his posts saying live PJ is shit, as I type..

there's just too many of them

can anyone remember Spenno loving a bootleg from this decade? or one that at least didn't pick up and self defecate cos Ed missed a lyric?

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 11:23 pm 
Champion of RM

dimejinky99 wrote:

can anyone remember Spenno loving a bootleg from this decade? or one that at least didn't pick up and self defecate cos Ed missed a lyric?

I'm going to stay on the sidelines here. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 11:25 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

CopperTom wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I'm going to stay on the sidelines here. :lol:

Me too, I think dime's taking care of things well enough on his own.

PostPosted: Sat December 20, 2014 11:31 pm 

That's as close to an admission of guilt as you're ever gonna give :) i'll take it :)

This isnt about Spenno, lets get back to it..we are spoiled..its about the many many posters here and elsewhere, picking a bootleg and performance apart because it either doesnt contain the songs they like or there's band members screwing up and making mistakes, or the new thing(as of today) has a guitar tone that an RM member finds unappealing..

again, Spenno is brilliant for at least being dedicated, and the spearhead of the whiney naysayers..but the point remains..PJ were prone to fuck ups in the first half of their career..they get away with it then, cos the boots sounds like shit..thats all..just waiting on the purist cry babies to realise that, is all

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 23  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live