The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 47  Next

Rate Riot Act
5 Stars: A top tier album 29%  29%  [ 40 ]
4 Stars: A very good album 48%  48%  [ 67 ]
3 Stars: Average 19%  19%  [ 26 ]
2: Stars: I expect more 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
1 Star: Embarrassing 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 140
 Post subject: Re: Riot Act: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2013 4:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Started giving this the first of probably many listens on the way back from the airport this morning, only made it through the first 3 songs so far but loving it, and LBC really got to me, i still cant imagine how the guys were feeling after Roskilde, but you can really feel the hurt in Ed's voice on a few of those lines. LBC is in no way a great song imo, but it has so much feeling behind it, and it really got to me

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2013 5:02 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Started giving this the first of probably many listens on the way back from the airport this morning, only made it through the first 3 songs so far but loving it, and LBC really got to me, i still cant imagine how the guys were feeling after Roskilde, but you can really feel the hurt in Ed's voice on a few of those lines. LBC is in no way a great song imo, but it has so much feeling behind it, and it really got to me

Exactly. It's not a perfect song. It's too clunky sometimes. But the sentiment, the emotion, the feeling of the song is superb. I've always had a fondness for it, even it's flaws.

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2013 5:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I love Riot Act. I love the direction they went in with that album, and wish they had kept that going or would go back to it now. It's the last time they didnt sound like they were trying to sound like something, they just sounded like Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2013 6:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

numbers wrote:
I love Riot Act. I love the direction they went in with that album, and wish they had kept that going or would go back to it now. It's the last time they didnt sound like they were trying to sound like something, they just sounded like Pearl Jam.

I really like that description.

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2013 7:41 pm 
The worst

pearl jam has always sounded like pearl jam. There's no album I can't close my eyes and visualize them playing all those songs in a room.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2013 11:37 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

A missed chance...reading the pj20 book and learning how Michael Stipe told Ed to " write a great album"..it seems he tried to be more focused than before and it didnt quite get there. Some songs sounds like demos, sometimes in their execution ( get right ), most of the times in eddies vocals.
Some of them i just wish they sound heavier ( cropduster...those guitars..and eddie´s vocals..).
There are some great stuff, Cant keep is amazing ..... They have to play this one more often.
Save you, LBC, Ghost, I am mine ( great song..this is what Stipe was asking Ed to do), You are, TMW, All or none...all great songs....

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2013 11:44 pm 
Gone

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:

Musically I really enjoy Love Boat Captain. It just sucks that the song is called.....Love Boat Captain. That, and the already been sung love is all you need stuff. I wish the sentiment of the song could have been delivered more artfully.

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2013 11:46 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Stip wrote:
pearl jam has always sounded like pearl jam. There's no album I can't close my eyes and visualize them playing all those songs in a room.

It's not that, it's just on Avocado they sounded like they were trying to sound like old Pearl Jam, on Backspacer they sounded like they were trying to sound like Kings Of Leon or someone like that. Before those two albums, you never got that vibe that they were trying to sound a specific way, they were just going where the music was taking them. At least that's how I feel.

PostPosted: Sun January 06, 2013 11:47 pm 
Gone

Stip wrote:

I think this is accurate....up until Backspacer. Maybe its a production thing but some of that band in the same room sound that they have on their records went away with BS. To me, that was at its strongest Yield through Riot Act.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 1:46 pm 
A Return To Form

Listening to this for the first time in a while. It's even better than I remember. Even the songs I was originally lukewarm about (I'm looking at you, "You Are") are sounding really good to me.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 2:12 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

griffinxi wrote:
Listening to this for the first time in a while. It's even better than I remember. Even the songs I was originally lukewarm about (I'm looking at you, "You Are") are sounding really good to me.

You Are is awesome...and live is better.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 2:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

VinylGuy wrote:
griffinxi wrote:

You Are is awesome...and live is better.

It gave me goosebumps yesterday when it came on, just love the pause near the end, and what i guess you would call a stone solo, then you hear jeff and tnen the whole band. It was nice, i love kinda forgetting about little parts like that when not listening for a while and then hearing them again

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 3:19 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
I saw a perfect version of "All or None" at the 2004 Vote for Change show in St. Louis. It was in a theater rather than an arena (the beautiful Fox Theater), and it was during the "slow first encore" part of the show where--miraculously perhaps--everyone was sitting down and paying attention. Definitely one of my favorite memories of seeing PJ live.

I was at that show. Also, one of my favorite PJ live memories. Great show.

I was also there! Cool moment. I wish the audience recording I have of the show sounded better. They were on that night.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 6:16 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
I saw a perfect version of "All or None" at the 2004 Vote for Change show in St. Louis. It was in a theater rather than an arena (the beautiful Fox Theater), and it was during the "slow first encore" part of the show where--miraculously perhaps--everyone was sitting down and paying attention. Definitely one of my favorite memories of seeing PJ live.

I was at that show. Also, one of my favorite PJ live memories. Great show.

I was also there! Cool moment. I wish the audience recording I have of the show sounded better. They were on that night.

Good connections, right here, team. :heartbeat: :peace: :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 6:45 pm 
The Master

I was at that show!

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 6:46 pm 
The Master

but i didnt enjoy it that much because I had a bad fucking cold after being on the road at the previous shows. And our seats were near the bar at the back where everyone felt the need to gather and talk about everything but the show.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 6:47 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I always loved the "sound" of this album.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 8:04 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I always loved that St Louis '04 show and would call it a very underrated show in the grand scheme of things. This is as good a setlist as you can get and the performance was there as well.

set: Love Boat Captain, Last Exit, Animal, Save You, The American in Me, Corduroy, Immortality, Alone, Jeremy, In My Tree, Wishlist, Rearviewmirror
enc 1 (acoustic): I Am A Patriot (Ed solo), Man Of The Hour, Elderly Woman, Off He Goes, All Or None, Black
enc 2: The Seeker, Do The Evolution, State Of Love And Trust, Better Man/(Save It For Later), The New World (w/Tim Robbins), Fortunate Son
enc 3: Yellow Ledbetter

(no given to fly is shitty show though)

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 8:06 pm 
A Return To Form

pnjguy wrote:
I always loved the "sound" of this album.

Yeah, RA is a nicely-produced album to my ears.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 8:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

One of those rare albums that sounds exactly how the cover looks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 47  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam