The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2014-10-17: Moline, IL
PostPosted: Sun October 19, 2014 11:48 pm 
Commissioner

warehouse wrote:
i think i understand where you are coming from with other bands playing older albums front to back, it can probably seem like a nostalgia act and cash grab depending on the artist and album. but as far as pearl jam goes, playing what is most recognized as their least popular and career shifting album front to back is kinda wild. pearl jam's live show has built a reputation that hardcore fans and casual fans alike will almost always leave a show happy. its almost like they did the opposite of that here. im not really sure they've ever experimented with a setlist like this.

I guess I've never had much of a problem with WHAT was appearing on Pearl Jam's setlists, just the way they performed/presented themselves at show. I don't know that there's any setlist that could put together that would excite me just as a list of songs, unless maybe it were one where they were road testing 5+ new songs they'd actually been working (hard) on. I've been very fortunate to be able to see Pearl Jam enough times over a long enough period of time that I've seen them play nearly everything I'd want to hear them play. For the past several years I've just wanted to see them play things well. I've always been one of those people who said he'd prefer to go see them to play a super-focused two hour show than a raucous three hour one.

At the same time, I know I'm very much in the minority about full album shows. Pretty much every band message board I've ever spent time on would regularly be populated with posts containing people daydreaming about said act playing some back catalog album from start-to-finish. So for the people who would've said "Pearl Jam playing No Code front-to-back would be my dream concert," I'm very happy for them.

PostPosted: Sun October 19, 2014 11:56 pm 
Poster of the Year

Lament wrote:
warehouse wrote:
i think i understand where you are coming from with other bands playing older albums front to back, it can probably seem like a nostalgia act and cash grab depending on the artist and album. but as far as pearl jam goes, playing what is most recognized as their least popular and career shifting album front to back is kinda wild. pearl jam's live show has built a reputation that hardcore fans and casual fans alike will almost always leave a show happy. its almost like they did the opposite of that here. im not really sure they've ever experimented with a setlist like this.

I guess I've never had much of a problem with WHAT was appearing on Pearl Jam's setlists, just the way they performed/presented themselves at show. I don't know that there's any setlist that could put together that would excite me just as a list of songs, unless maybe it were one where they were road testing 5+ new songs they'd actually been working (hard) on. I've been very fortunate to be able to see Pearl Jam enough times over a long enough period of time that I've seen them play nearly everything I'd want to hear them play. For the past several years I've just wanted to see them play things well. I've always been one of those people who said he'd prefer to go see them to play a super-focused two hour show than a raucous three hour one.

At the same time, I know I'm very much in the minority about full album shows. Pretty much every band message board I've ever spent time on would regularly be populated with posts containing people daydreaming about said act playing some back catalog album from start-to-finish. So for the people who would've said "Pearl Jam playing No Code front-to-back would be my dream concert," I'm very happy for them.

I'm with you on the albums played live thing. I'd be pretty excited with this setlist (as long as it was performed well) not because the album was played in order, but because they simply played so many songs from No Code,

PostPosted: Sun October 19, 2014 11:57 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Lament wrote:
I've always been one of those people who said he'd prefer to go see them to play a super-focused two hour show than a raucous three hour one.

Me too and I share your general reservations about album-as-setlist shows; they're fundamentally different experiences, I don't think one can be easily transplanted into the other.

PostPosted: Sun October 19, 2014 11:57 pm 
Poster of the Year

But then again, I wish Pearl Jam were the type of band that focused more on creating new material of a better quality than they are now and at a much greater pace than they are now, and played live shows that focused on that new material.

Last edited by Norris on Mon October 20, 2014 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 12:55 am 
mXn

This thread now has way too many wordy posts that I don't have time to read.

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 1:24 am 
Rank This Poster

Bammer wrote:
This thread now has way too many wordy posts that I don't have time to read.

I only read Lament's because I have a man crush on him. I agree though. It hurts my head and not enough dick and vagina jokes.

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 1:25 am 
Poster of the Year

A lot of words in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 1:31 am 
tl;dr

When all is said and done, I can't imagine I'll look back and not regard this as one of the more special things that's happened to me at a concert. Any risk of it feeling gaudy or cheap was diffused by the utter lack of fanfare surrounding it; this wasn't the "PEARL JAM PLAYS NO CODE LIVE AND IN PERSON!!!" tour, it was just a cool thing they did (seemingly) on a whim that a bunch of people happened to stumble haphazardly into. Like Chud, the real point of excitement for me was how much great music it meant I got to hear; once I realized what they were doing, my first thought was, "shit, I am going to hear 'Around the Bend' tonight." The fact that it was in the context of some larger production didn't inherently improve the show, but it quietly heightened the sense of occasion and was fun. On the whole I agree that a band touring he country on the premise of playing a series of songs in sequence as though it's a Broadway musical is kind of lame. This didn't feel like that, though.

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 1:32 am 
Commissioner

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
I only read Lament's because I have a man crush on him.

Was it worth it at least to see the shout out you got from me?

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 1:38 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

theplatypus wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
warehouse wrote:
"some of us have expanded our horizons"...does your arm hurt from patting yourself on the back?

Ha.

That's no joke. I tore my rotator cuff once from patting myself on the back after a post in GD. I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 1:45 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kevin Davis wrote:
96583UP wrote:
but this version suffers from Matt Cameron's PJ tempo disease

slow the fuck down Matt

this isn't supposed to be a samba

I think Ed sets the tempo for "Around the Bend," not Matt.

Chris_H_2 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
These moron Pearl Jam fans did the fast clap thing in hail hail way too early.

Ed did it and everyone followed

I think we're seeing a trend here

someone slip Ed some tempo pills

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 1:47 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
How about we all just fuck? :)

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 2:10 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

That's my girl.

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 5:12 am 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
When all is said and done, I can't imagine I'll look back and not regard this as one of the more special things that's happened to me at a concert. Any risk of it feeling gaudy or cheap was diffused by the utter lack of fanfare surrounding it; this wasn't the "PEARL JAM PLAYS NO CODE LIVE AND IN PERSON!!!" tour, it was just a cool thing they did (seemingly) on a whim that a bunch of people happened to stumble haphazardly into. Like Chud, the real point of excitement for me was how much great music it meant I got to hear; once I realized what they were doing, my first thought was, "shit, I am going to hear 'Around the Bend' tonight." The fact that it was in the context of some larger production didn't inherently improve the show, but it quietly heightened the sense of occasion and was fun. On the whole I agree that a band touring he country on the premise of playing a series of songs in sequence as though it's a Broadway musical is kind of lame. This didn't feel like that, though.

These. It was somewhat like rediscovering an old favorite film you haven't seen in years.

Post subject: Moline
PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 5:46 am 
Broken Tamborine

He wrote this song before going onstage? I think this song should be on an album. "you can call me Nancy and now I live in Moline" I love this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UudSNs6W6eE

Post subject: Re: Moline
PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 5:47 am 
Broken Tamborine

Article about the show.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/pearl-jam-play-entire-no-code-debut-new-song-at-moline-concert-20141018

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 1:11 pm 
Broken Tamborine

And now I remember why PJ fans suck sometimes. Anyone bashing this show should really just find another band. Hell, find 50. I will also never understand people who bitch about Ed screwing up lyrics. I can barely remember what I did yesterday.

Post subject: Re: Moline
PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 2:51 pm 
tl;dr

Could be cool with a good arrangement. The chords reminded me of "Ten Years Gone" by Zeppelin.

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 2:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Are there really people bashing this show, or are they just nit-picking certain specific things?

PostPosted: Mon October 20, 2014 2:53 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I really don't think anyone is "bashing" the show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 412 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live