The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: flaming lips
PostPosted: Tue September 16, 2014 1:34 am 
Banned from the Pit

AndySlash wrote:
AndySlash wrote:
after just playing first avenue here on july 15, the lips are coming back on september 14 to do the entirety of 'transmissions from the satellite heart'. i skipped the july show, but may have to do this one.

i did go (by myself, even) and it was probably the most enjoyable lips show i've seen. after seeing many of the same songs in the handful of times i've seen them in the last ten years, it was nice to see a completely different show, and i thought they pulled off the album well. wayne started the show by saying some real nice things about ronald jones and his contributions.

i also walked away impressed with the electric wurms side project that started the show. heavy krautrock grooves.

So, you're telling me that you got to see The Relpacements / The Hold Steady / Lucero on one night and then follow it up with The Flaming Lips / Electric Wurms the next? That was supposed to be my bachelor party...

PostPosted: Tue September 16, 2014 3:14 am 
Future Drummer

it was a good weekend, yes. :o

PostPosted: Fri September 19, 2014 9:01 pm 
AnalLog

can't believe i skipped on seeing them at Bonnaroo for another band.

ugh.

PostPosted: Fri February 06, 2015 5:07 am 
Future Drummer

and now they're coming back to first avenue on the 24th to do 'clouds taste metallic'. got my ticket.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 5:31 am 
10Club Complaint Department

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 3:25 pm 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:

Sounds amazing. I saw them on the original Soft Bulletin tour in Boston, one of the very best shows I've ever seen.
Went on to see them a couple more times, even got to dance in an animal costume on the Yoshimi tour.

But man, their output as really gone downhill. Embryonic was great, but could have been about half as long. And everything since then has gotten progressively worse. Glad to see they're doing this show, hopefully they'll get back to making great records instead of doing drugs with Miley Cyrus.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 3:28 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
But man, their output as really gone downhill. Embryonic was great, but could have been about half as long. And everything since then has gotten progressively worse. Glad to see they're doing this show, hopefully they'll get back to making great records instead of doing drugs with Miley Cyrus.

Wayne Coyne is the only artist who has ever bummed me out with his personal shittiness to the point where I stopped wanting to hear his new records.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 3:36 pm 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
Quote:

Wayne Coyne is the only artist who has ever bummed me out with his personal shittiness to the point where I stopped wanting to hear his new records.

What personal shittiness? Apart from the Erykah Badu thing, what else has he done?

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 4:01 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Sounds amazing. I saw them on the original Soft Bulletin tour in Boston, one of the very best shows I've ever seen.
Went on to see them a couple more times, even got to dance in an animal costume on the Yoshimi tour.

I'm very similar. I was a huge fan through At War With The Mystics (which I liked a lot), and I basically stopped listening after that. I bought Embryonic and have listened to it only a couple of times ever. I've been to several shows too. I just kind of lost interest when things got too weird for me.

Last edited by PHATJ on Tue February 02, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 4:05 pm 

Oops. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 4:21 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Quote:

What personal shittiness? Apart from the Erykah Badu thing, what else has he done?

Probably the whole ordeal with Kliph, if I had to guess.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 4:22 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Quote:

The interview he did with Rolling Stone after firing Spurlock was one of the most Donald Trump-esque childish things I've ever read. He made Roger Waters sound even-tempered and polite.

The whole way he reacted to native groups protesting his friend's headdress gaffe was adolescent. The trash talk about other musicians is more so. The Badu thing was shit. The coke and the airport grenade and the midlife crisis are all just sad. And I remain a passing acquaintance of a very soft spoken promoter in the Midwest who never has a bad word to say about anybody he's ever worked with...except Wayne Coyne.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 4:29 pm 

McParadigm wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
McParadigm wrote:
Quote:

The interview he did with Rolling Stone after firing Spurlock was one of the most Donald Trump-esque childish things I've ever read. He made Roger Waters sound even-tempered and polite.

The whole way he reacted to native groups protesting his friend's headdress gaffe was adolescent. The trash talk about other musicians is more so. The Badu thing was shit. The coke and the airport grenade and the midlife crisis are all just sad. And I remain a passing acquaintance of a very soft spoken promoter in the Midwest who never has a bad word to say about anybody he's ever worked with...except Wayne Coyne.

Yeah, he sounds like a real gem.

PostPosted: Tue February 02, 2016 5:21 pm 
The Master

Forgot all about that Kliph/Native Amerian headdress debacle. Had never heard the grenade story.

I met him a couple times. Once was at an after-party where he just hung out with a small group of radio contest winners; the other was before/after the show where I got to dance on stage in an animal costume. Both times he seemed sweet and even-tempered, but it sounds like he's one of those people who treats everyone like shit, then defends his behavior by claiming it's all about the art. Too bad his art sucks now.

PostPosted: Fri October 21, 2016 7:15 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Fri October 21, 2016 10:04 pm 
Gone

:)

PostPosted: Mon October 24, 2016 2:52 am 
Gone

This song is growing on me nicely. I really needed some good sad white guy music. I feel like the song is about yo yoing between happiness and depression.

PostPosted: Mon December 19, 2016 2:48 am 
Gone

New song and video. Pretty cool. High hopes for this record.

PostPosted: Mon December 19, 2016 2:54 am 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:

:thumbsup: Sounds like it's something from the Soft Bulletin/Yoshimi era. Would love another record like that (just not like AWWTM).

PostPosted: Mon December 19, 2016 3:18 pm 
A Return To Form

tragabigzanda wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

:thumbsup: Sounds like it's something from the Soft Bulletin/Yoshimi era. Would love another record like that (just not like AWWTM).

yeah agreed that the three songs released so far have the same synth vibe as yoshimi did but more sparse and sad. also sounds like they used drum machines instead of live drums.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands