The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Anonymous and "hacktivism"
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 6:16 pm 
Future Drummer

Finally, an Anon project I can get behind:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/04/justice/ohio-rape-online-video/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Post subject: Re: Anonymous and "hacktivism"
PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 6:27 pm 
A Return To Form

broken iris wrote:

Yeah, but knowing how the court system in this country works, I'd be worried that this could end up hurting the case more than helping it.

-Cpt. Murphy

Post subject: Anonymous
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 12:52 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Anonymous leaks photo and video of alleged Ohio rapists

Accused teens may not get fair trial, defendant's lawyer says

Reuters
First posted: Friday, January 04, 2013 12:34 PM EST
| Updated: Friday, January 04, 2013 12:42 PM EST

Two Ohio high-school football players accused of raping a teenage girl may not get a fair trial after a photo and video allegedly associated with the case were posted on the Internet by the computer hacking group Anonymous, a lawyer for one of the accused said on Friday.

Ma'lik Richmond and Trenton Mays, both 16 and members of the Steubenville High School football team, are charged with raping a 16-year-old fellow student last August, according to statements from their attorneys to local and national media.

Their juvenile court trial is scheduled for February in Steubenville, a city of 19,000 about 40 miles west of Pittsburgh.

The case shot to national prominence this week when Anonymous activists made public a picture allegedly of the rape victim, being carried by her wrists and ankles by two young men, and of a video that showed several other young men joking about an alleged assault.

Richmond's lawyer, Walter Madison, said on CNN that his client was one of the young men in the photograph, but does not appear in the video.

But the picture "is out of context," Madison said. "That young lady is not unconscious," as has been widely reported.

"A right to a fair trial for these young men has been hijacked," Madison said, adding that social media episodes such as this have become a major threat to a criminal defendant's right to a fair trial.

"It's very, very serious and fairness is essential to getting the right decision here," he said.

Mays' attorney Adam Nemann could not immediately be reached for comment on Friday. In an interview on Thursday with Columbus, Ohio, broadcaster WBNS-10TV, Nemann raised concerns about the effect the Anonymous postings could have on potential witnesses in the case.

"This media has become so astronomically ingrained on the Internet and within that society, I am concerned witnesses might not want to come forward at this point. I would be surprised now, if there weren't witnesses now who might want to start taking the Fifth Amendment," Nemann told the station.

The Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution offers protection against self-incrimination in criminal proceedings.

The case has also been a challenge for local officials because of conflicts of interest. Both the local prosecutor and police have close ties to the school that the defendants attend.

As a result, the case is being investigated and prosecuted by Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine's office.

Interviewed on CNN on Friday, DeWine said it was not unusual for his office to prosecute or investigate cases in small towns where close ties within the community caused conflicts of interest to arise.

He also voiced concern about how social media may affect the case.

"This case needs to be tried not in the media, not in social media," DeWine said.

He said Anonymous' attempt to shame the alleged attackers had actually harmed the victim.

Not only is the victim hurt by the initial crime, but "every time something goes up on the Internet, the victim is victimized again," DeWine said.

**This is just the alleged rapists chatting about what happens, no graphic stuff**

Post subject: Re: Anonymous
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 1:01 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

merge!

Post subject: Re: Anonymous
PostPosted: Sat January 05, 2013 1:03 am 
Mind Your Tanners

fuck. Yeah, what dkfan9 said.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 12:31 am 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 4:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Sun January 13, 2013 4:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu April 11, 2013 5:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

if you don't know the story:
N.S. teen took her own life after rape, bullying, mother says

A Nova Scotia teen took her own life after she was raped by four boys and then endured a year-and-a-half of bullying by her schoolmates, the girl’s mother says.

Leah Parsons says her daughter Rehtaeh attempted suicide last Thursday and was taken off life support Sunday evening.

Parsons told CTV Atlantic that her daughter’s ordeal began one evening in November 2011, when she went with another girl to a friend’s home, where they met up with four boys. She was 15 at the time.

"The group began drinking vodka straight,” Parsons said, and at one point Rehtaeh was alone with the boys.

“Rehtaeh doesn’t remember all of it,” Parsons said. “She remembers a guy leading her up the stairs, guys taking turns on top of her.” The boys also took pictures of the attack, as well as her throwing up out a window.

The photographs made the rounds among students at Cole Harbour District High School, and Rehtaeh was quickly shunned and harassed.

“One girl who was her friend put on her (Facebook) status: ‘Sluts need to leave this school anyway,’ Parsons said. “Just bullying, boys that she didn’t know sending her messages (saying) ‘Do you want to have fun? You did it with my friends, why don’t we get together?’ It didn’t stop.”

In her interview with CTV and in a detailed account of her daughter’s ordeal posted to Facebook, Parsons expressed her disappointment that no charges were laid in the case.

Local RCMP looked into the incident, but found there were no grounds to charge any of the boys.

“They completed their investigation and in consultation with the Crown there was insufficient evidence to proceed with charges,” Halifax RCMP Cpl. Scott MacRae told CTV.

On Tuesday, Nova Scotia Justice Minister Ross Landry said he would not order a review of the investigation because there was no indication police failed to follow proper procedures.

In her Facebook post, Parsons said the day of Rehtaeh’s attack “changed the lives of our family forever.”

Parsons wrote that she immediately left her job in order to support her daughter, and has been on a “journey of emotional turmoil ever since.”

Parsons wrote that her daughter “was suddenly shunned by almost everyone she knew.” The harassment her daughter faced was so severe that she eventually switched schools in an attempt to “start anew.”

“She struggled emotionally with depression and anger,” Parsons wrote. “Her thoughts of suicide began and fearing for her life, she placed herself in a hospital in an attempt to get help. She stayed there for almost six weeks.”

The bullying continued in Halifax and then when she returned home, Parsons said, a few new friends stepped forward to offer their support. Parsons said police then informed the family of the results of their investigation.

“One year later the police conclude their investigation to state that it comes down to ‘he said, she said’ they believed the boys raped her but the proof in a court of law was difficult to gather,” Parsons wrote.

Parsons said her daughter tried to get her life back on track, but suffered from mood swings. On April 4, she locked herself in the bathroom and attempted to take her own life.

“Rehtaeh is gone today because of the four boys that thought that raping a 15 year old girl was OK and to distribute a photo to ruin her spirit and reputation would be fun,” Parsons wrote. “Secondly, all the bullying and messaging and harassment that never let up are also to blame. Lastly, the justice system failed her. Those are the people that took the life of my beautiful girl.”

A funeral service for Rehtaeh will be held on Saturday.

PostPosted: Fri April 12, 2013 2:10 pm 
Future Drummer

Looks like they arrested 3 people in that case already. Of course it took her death before they gave a shit. Justice in Canada is worse than in Florida and is approaching UK levels of insanity.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 12:40 am 
RM Elitist

Enough with the spelling words backwards and pretending it's a name.

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 6:56 am 
AnalLog

@SkitchP wrote:

Hctiks :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 10:55 am 
Poster of the Year

@SkitchP wrote:

this is getting esolc

PostPosted: Sat April 13, 2013 3:34 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

broken iris wrote:
Looks like they arrested 3 people in that case already. Of course it took her death before they gave a shit. Justice in Canada is worse than in Florida and is approaching UK levels of insanity.

No arrests have been made in this yet. The case was just re-opened yesterday.

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2013 6:27 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Stickman wrote:
broken iris wrote:

There were charges brought against a couple of teenagers in a shockingly similar case in California this past week; I assume broken iris saw this report and thought they were connected, just like I did: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/12/justice/c ... =allsearch

PostPosted: Sun April 14, 2013 7:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

From Vice.com

Inside Anonymous’s Operation to Out Rehtaeh Parsons’s Rapists
By Patrick McGuire

In the days following the suicide of Rehtaeh Parsons—the teenage girl from Halifax who committed suicide after being gang raped, photographed, and harassed—the hacktivist group Anonymous is playing a game of chicken with the authorities in Nova Scotia. Anonymous says they have the names of four suspects, and are threatening to release that information if justice is not delivered. Those names have in fact been circulating in small online circles, but the information has been withheld from publication on Anonymous’s largest social media channels. All of this has caused a storm of negative feedback from those who view Anonymous’s actions as destructive “vigilantism” while Anonymous maintains they are only involved because “several crimes have been committed in Nova Scotia. A 17-year-old girl killed herself because the police failed to do their jobs.”

I spoke with a member of Anonymous who is directly involved with the operation to bring Rehtaeh’s rapists to justice, in order to get a better handle on their motivations.

VICE: How do you go about sourcing the information that has led to naming the four suspects?
Anonymous: The information we have gathered comes from a combination of internet research and informants. It's a lot more like being a journalist than it is being a detective. We use advanced search techniques to comb the internet for statements, photos, videos, whatever we need. We can locate statements by suspects made years ago on accounts they may not even know still exist. We've also developed a level of trust with our online community and they feel comfortable speaking with us because they know we'll protect their identities. We validate their information in the same way the police might, by cross referencing stories and doing background checks on the individuals who are providing the information. There's also a psychological factor. It's important to recognize the motives behind the person who is providing you the information. Some people just want to be involved so they'll embellish their accounts or perhaps they want revenge. You can't always count on a person's memory either so it's important to test them to discover if the story they are telling you has been compromised by time or their emotional state.

In this case, did your sources approach you?
Most of the sources approached us, but we tracked down quite a few of them by examining the online interactions of the victim and the suspects.

What have you learned about this case so far that you want people to know?
Only half of this case is about those four teenage boys and the alleged rape. The real guilty parties here are the adults that violated Rehtaeh. I would like to see those boys punished for what they did because I think it sets a terrible example for the other young men in Nova Scotia, but almost even more I would like to see the police and the school system pay for what they did to that girl. They had a responsibility to be there for her, to protect her and to relieve her torment. They failed at every turn to help her. Now they're all too busy blaming one another. The school claims they didn't know. The police say they couldn't find any evidence. They're both guilty of incompetence.

What happens if you have the wrong person?
I became specifically involved in this operation to prevent that. I didn't get involved in Steubenville. I didn't like the way it was handled. People were called out and in some cases forced to prove their innocence before being let off the hook. It seemed a lot like guilty until proven innocent. I have experience tracking people down online. We would never go public on this unless we were 100% sure. Fortunately, this isn't really an issue. The boys who committed the assault were very public about what they had done. The photo taken of the rape was circulated throughout the school, possibly to hundreds of kids—this of course goes to back my previous statements about how incompetent the school administration was.

People are using this idea of us possibly implicating the wrong individuals to detract away from the real issues. We all know who the police and school officials are that are guilty in this case. I think it's also important to note that justice systems often find innocent people guilty and sentence them to prison, or even in the U.S. for instance, death. So it's nonsense to compare the justice system to Anonymous, but I doubt I'd be embarrassed if our track records were viewed side by side.

How would you respond to columns like Chris Selley’s in the National Post that say your efforts are not needed?
Wow, you picked a real winner there. Well, no offense to Chris Selley or the National Post, but he seems to insinuate that if the police screw up and a few rapists get off the proper response is “tough shit,” move on to the next case. For that, I think he's a moron. Let's slow down for one second and assume that I did release the names of those rapists... what law am I breaking? I suppose they could sue me for slandering them. Of course, to do that they'd have to prove I was lying.

This gets worse: he says we should ignore the photo being spread around the school because it probably happens all time. We can't expect the legal system to punish everyone that's passing around photos of women being raped, now can we? It's “fairly routine adolescent behaviour.” Chris Selley article epitomizes the rape culture. Selley is equating a traumatic rape with a picture of a girl’s breast she took in a mirror and sent to her boyfriend.

What similarities do you see between this case and Amanda Todd's?
I think both deaths were preventable. I think Rehtaeh's death will be similarly exploited. Politicians will go on television, as they already have, and talk about how now is the time to focus on this problem. They're going to say we need to do more and then they'll probably announce funding for some sort of study on bullying—or talk about how they're going to dedicate themselves to solving this issue. If you could solve bullying by talking about it on the news, we'd all be over it by now. What can a Justice Minister do to stop bullying? He's miles above the problem. We need action in the schools where the children can feel it.

What are you going to do if the RCMP cannot bring any justice for Rehtaeh?
I think someone should warn the women at whatever college these boys end up attending that the guy sitting next to them has no respect for their humanity and will likely violate them the first chance he gets. A lot of people have said we should only take into consideration the wishes of Leah Parsons, but I think we have a responsibility to every young girl that could potentially get dragged in to a dark room with one of these assholes. However, I don't think it's fair for me to make the decision to out them on my own. I've been working closely with a group of people to discover all of this information and we're going to discuss it amongst ourselves, consider all of the repercussions, and hopefully make a wise decision.

In light of your operation here, how would you respond to Rehtaeh’s mother who has asked for no further “vigilante justice” or “bullying” in retaliation for Rehteah’s death?
Mrs. Parsons said she doesn't want vigilante justice. I quote, "I think they need to be accountable for what that they did. I don't want them to be physically harmed." I don't see how that conflicts with any of our intentions. Anonymous is not advocating that these individuals being harmed in any way. However, we have been in contact with Mrs. Parsons. We shared the information we have with her and told her for now we'll withhold it from the public. We aren't doing that because we're waiting for the right moment to release the hounds. We've flushed out a lot of new leads for the police, we hope they'll follow them and we don't want to compromise their investigation.

In your interview on CBC’s The Current, Anna Maria-Tremonti asked you about how Anonymous was wrong about Amanda Todd’s alleged tormenter Kody Maxson—as if that’s a fact. Clearly they’re basing that on the RCMP saying Kody was a person of non-interest, but I know from my own investigation that Kody is connected to a ring of sexual extortionists, has separate charges for sexual assault and sexual interference pertaining to a minor, and admitted to the Vancouver Sun he knew Amanda Todd “in a sense.” You didn’t really answer her question directly—so how would you respond to that now?
What I should have told Anna Maria Tremonti this morning, when she mentioned Amanda Todd, was this: the media continue to draw comparisons to the Amanda Todd case, in most instances to show how Anonymous has failed in the past to positively identify a suspect. As you're aware (because VICE did their due diligence on this subject) Kody Maxson was the individual Anonymous named as the cyberstalker we believed eventually drove Amanda Todd to commit suicide. The police labeled him as a person of no interest, yet, shortly after he claimed to have fled Canada from sexual assault charges on another minor. Kody Maxson is not an example of how Anonymous incorrectly identified a perp, it's another example of how lazy and ill-equipped the police are in handling these types of crimes. I believe Kody Maxson is the reason Amanda Todd is dead and because the police continue using outdated methods of investigation, it's likely he'll never be brought to justice.

PostPosted: Mon April 15, 2013 12:23 am 
Future Drummer

Simple Torture wrote:
Stickman wrote:
broken iris wrote:

There were charges brought against a couple of teenagers in a shockingly similar case in California this past week; I assume broken iris saw this report and thought they were connected, just like I did: http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/12/justice/c ... =allsearch

Oops. That's what I get for relying on Drudge.

PostPosted: Wed April 17, 2013 12:13 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/anonymous-westboro-boston-picket-marathon-funerals_n_3093516.html

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2013 12:29 am 
Future Drummer

Poor little rapists are going to have such tough lives!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=MvUdyNko8LQ

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2013 6:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate