The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: What is Each Album's Major Flaw?: Ten
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:37 am 
Rank This Poster

Second accounts are people too

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:01 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
Release_Me wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
You mean, no one has ever written a song better than ''Black?'' Like, forever ever?

Yes. It's the pinnacle of the music listening experience for me.

Black is not even close to my favorite pearl jam song, but if someone told me they wanted to make a case for Black being the best rock song ever I don't think I'd find it that crazy

Black is one of those songs that I never play at home, but when the band (inevitably) breaks it out at a show, I usually get caught up in the moment.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:56 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Release_Me wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
You mean, no one has ever written a song better than ''Black?'' Like, forever ever?

D:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:02 pm 
Poster of the Year

theplatypus wrote:
Release_Me wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

D:

Don't cry for Release_Me, he's already dead.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:31 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

A person on a second hand pearl jam message board in the year 2014 saying Black is the best song ever isn't a huge stretch.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 7:27 pm 
Broken Tamborine

The album version of Even Flow. It's just so flat after hearing the re-recorded version.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

In retrospect, the thread title asks its question and then immediately provides us with an answer.

What I'm saying is, I'm not sure we're being asked to follow up on that.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:00 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Ten's awesome, don't change a thing there are no major flaws.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:18 pm 
A Return To Form

PryTo wrote:
Ten suffers from the lack of exactly that -- it was written in ten days or whatever by a band that was still figuring out who they were, hadn't played many live shows, etc.

Maybe some of it, but many of the riffs had been around for a long time as evidenced by various bootlegs and demos out there (I used to have some of these- essentially songs from Ten that just didn't have Ed singing on them).

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:18 pm 
AnalLog

RussellManiac12 wrote:
The album version of Even Flow. It's just so flat after hearing the re-recorded version.

Oh yes. This. I forget it even exists because I only listen to the Greatest Hits remixed version.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:26 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

It certainly doesn't sound like a band trying to figure themselves out, even if in reality they were. It sounds fully fleshed out to me. Every album after Ten up to ST better deserves that label, IMO. I'm not sure they ever did figure it out.

I disagree that PJ would have been forgotten if they stuck to sounding like Ten for a while longer. I doubt they would be any more forgotten than they already were by No Code. Sure, they would have had to change it up eventually, all bands do, but they could have rode this sound for a long time.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:45 pm 
The worst

Exactly. Part of the mythos of the band in that era was that the rest of the world wanted them to keep sounding like ten and they refused

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:49 pm 
Commissioner

Someone mentioned AC/DC earlier in this thread and I think that's a good assessment of how things could have turned out for them. If they had churned out an album every 2-4 years from day one that always sounded like Ten they probably could've had an AC/DC-essque level of continued worldwide success.

I'm glad they didn't though.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PJ/BJ

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:36 pm 
Commissioner

bodysnatcher wrote:
PJ/BJ

I changed my mind. Now I wish they DID go that route.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I feel like the Ten era songs recorded with Dave A (SOLAT, Breath, re-recorded E-Flow, Alone) are superior to the recordings on Ten. More focused, tighter performances, crisper sound, less polish/reverb. It makes me believe Ten could have been better had it been recorded with Dave A after the band had some time to hone these songs on the road a bit. So as much as I like Ten, I feel like it could have been better, and to me that's a flaw. All the songs are great though, and I actually have no issues with the cover. It fit the time and the theme of the record to me.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:51 pm 
AnalLog

Lament wrote:
Someone mentioned AC/DC earlier in this thread and I think that's a good assessment of how things could have turned out for them. If they had churned out an album every 2-4 years from day one that always sounded like Ten they probably could've had an AC/DC-essque level of continued worldwide success.

I'm glad they didn't though.

I don't think that would have worked for them. It's likely that they would have suffered a similar faith that hair metal bands did if they kept that sound.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

BurtReynolds wrote:
It certainly doesn't sound like a band trying to figure themselves out, even if in reality they were. It sounds fully fleshed out to me. Every album after Ten up to ST better deserves that label, IMO. I'm not sure they ever did figure it out.

I disagree that PJ would have been forgotten if they stuck to sounding like Ten for a while longer. I doubt they would be any more forgotten than they already were by No Code. Sure, they would have had to change it up eventually, all bands do, but they could have rode this sound for a long time.

I still hear Ten's sound, to a limited degree, on Vs. Songs like Go, Animal, Blood, even Daughter and Indifference, are sort of continuations of that style, albeit produced much rawer. I've even grown to be okay with some of the production on Ten; I was surprised how cold that remixed version from a few years back left me. I think the main thing is Eddie is at 100% throughout the entire thing, which makes the overall performance weaker. He's trying to win every single scene without realizing that you have to hold back some to make the big moments hit that much harder. I think he learned how to do that much better by the next record; it's a far more diverse and interesting record vocally.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 3:46 pm 
Future Drummer

It really doesn't have one.

I guess it's a little weirdly different for me who listened to it for the first time in like 2012 after having already heard most of the first half of the album a billion times on the radio, but that's not really a flaw. The same thing happened with Nevermind. Its like "Alright this song but Ive already listened to this song a billion times"

But of course that's because they were amazing songs....so.....yeah.

Deep is IMO the weakest track but certainly not a major flaw. There is no major flaw

PostPosted: Sun August 20, 2017 11:17 pm 
known prankster

ten's major flaw? I thought that would be obvious, and it does not need 8 pages of discussion to find out - the album sucks. laughable vocals, angsty lyrics, this is basically a hair metal album. the fact that this dreck is compared to nevermind and badmotorfinger is laughable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam