The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Era of the moment: 1991-1992
PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:08 am 
Poster of the Year

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
in fact not having the emotional baggage from "being there" probably lets you judge more objectively

I think i am pretty objective, my fav albums are no code and yield, ten and vs are near the bottom, but no where near dismissable, they are amazing albums, but they certainly did get much better on the run from vitalogy through binaural, those 4 albums are just amazing

We're not so different, you and I.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:29 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

OMFG@ past 3 days i cannot stop listening to 10 redux and 10 early demos. AMAZNG! PJ COME BACK TO US

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:39 am 
Rank This Poster

nightmareblack0206 wrote:
OMFG@ past 3 days i cannot stop listening to 10 redux and 10 early demos. AMAZNG! PJ COME BACK TO US

how about 1992 bootlegs from europe? the album can suck a dick compared to their live performances then.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:59 am 

Hey you guys ever see THE APPARITION with Ashley Green? OFF THE CHARTS SMOKING HOT. Girl is GORGEOUS

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 4:02 am 

warehouse wrote:

how about 1992 bootlegs from europe? the album can suck a dick compared to their live performances then.

I have the actual video to those shows in Europe of 92

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 4:12 am 
Rank This Poster

warehouse wrote:

I have the actual video to those shows in Europe of 92

send me all of them. and a vcr.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 10:13 am 

warehouse wrote:
Blenheim Augustine wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL8ge4Y9kuI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I find that awkward and embarrassing to watch. I never really cared for the band till Vitalogy. Ten is pretty close to hair metal but is enjoyable as some hair metal is. I much prefer 1994 - 1998.

im not sure if you arent familiar with hair metal or you arent familiar w/ ten. by the late 80s hair metal was simply pop songs for teenage girls by dudes dressed like morons. the album ten can be argued as a concept album about death. it has pop-rock songs, but it also has anthems, ballads, straight up hard rock and whatever you wanna call release. hair metal and the album ten have nothing in common except for the time and place. the closest thing you can compare it to is appetite for destruction, but i dont thing gnr were hair metal.

I remember a lot of people calling them the grunge Bon Jovi at that time. It wasn't till they cleaned up their act on Vs and toned down the excessive solos, wild hair twirling and lyric-less moaning that they could be taken seriously as a band.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

warehouse wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL8ge4Y9kuI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I find that awkward and embarrassing to watch. I never really cared for the band till Vitalogy. Ten is pretty close to hair metal but is enjoyable as some hair metal is. I much prefer 1994 - 1998.

im not sure if you arent familiar with hair metal or you arent familiar w/ ten. by the late 80s hair metal was simply pop songs for teenage girls by dudes dressed like morons. the album ten can be argued as a concept album about death. it has pop-rock songs, but it also has anthems, ballads, straight up hard rock and whatever you wanna call release. hair metal and the album ten have nothing in common except for the time and place. the closest thing you can compare it to is appetite for destruction, but i dont thing gnr were hair metal.

I remember a lot of people calling them the grunge Bon Jovi at that time. It wasn't till they cleaned up their act on Vs and toned down the excessive solos, wild hair twirling and lyric-less moaning that they could be taken seriously as a band.

wtf r u even talking about? the only people that called them "grunge bon jovi" were insecure nirvana fans. eddie vedder has always used his voice as an instrument, and vs has a ton of solos.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 5:36 pm 

warehouse wrote:
wtf r u even talking about? the only people that called them "grunge bon jovi" were insecure nirvana fans. eddie vedder has always used his voice as an instrument, and vs has a ton of solos.

I'm just saying what some people said at the time (and not just Nirvana fans). Vs has solos but not "excessive" solos (e.g. Alive) and they have never really returned to the "wooooaaaahh ooooo oooo oo oh ooh ai ai ai ai ai ai ai ai yea-e-eh" bits like on Jeremy.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 5:46 pm 
Rank This Poster

warehouse wrote:

I'm just saying what some people said at the time (and not just Nirvana fans). Vs has solos but not "excessive" solos (e.g. Alive) and they have never really returned to the "wooooaaaahh ooooo oooo oo oh ooh ai ai ai ai ai ai ai ai yea-e-eh" bits like on Jeremy.

he's done this for the bands entire career

wtf is "arc"?

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 5:49 pm 
The worst

warehouse wrote:

bon jovi did that?

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 5:58 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

My memory of it all was that this was around the end of a time as a teenager when you had to pick sides and stick with it. People who liked rap music didn't like rock music and people who liked Nirvana didn't like Pearl Jam. Why this was the case at the time and had stoked weird competitive contrasts is mostly unclear outside of typical teenage BS. Somehow this was all played out in the media, no doubt with a big assist from Kurt Cobain.

I do not remember people comparing Pearl Jam to Bon Jovi. I remember everything being about Eddie Vedder and Kurt Cobain and arguing over who was the "authentic" rock star. Really total nonsense in hindsight.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 6:11 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I had lots of friends that liked both PJ and Nirvana.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 6:12 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah, mostly everyone I knew liked both bands.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 6:29 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I liked both bands myself, but remember that back and forth. Or perhaps I was right way back when and my high school was an exceptionally f---ed up place. And here I thought I gained perspective on life in the last 20 years...

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 8:09 pm 
The worst

I loved both but you still had to choose a side.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 8:17 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I never had to choose a side. And it was nowhere near as rough as the Depeche Mode vs. The Cure war of the late 80s. Middle-class white kids stabbing each other. It was brutal.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 10:49 pm 
Rank This Poster

turned2black wrote:
I never had to choose a side. And it was nowhere near as rough as the Depeche Mode vs. The Cure war of the late 80s. Middle-class white kids stabbing each other. It was brutal.

:haha: that was hysterical

"i love nirvana, they just arent as good as pearl jam"

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 1:13 am 
AnalLog

Really like the idea of this thread, and the threads to follow. To me this is one of the more interesting aspects of the band. Their change from 1990-96 reminds me alot of the Beatles. Ed in the begining was Like a Jim Morrison type of frontman. I think Ed 1991 I think Morrison, Plant, Ozzy, Axl, and Mercury. I think Ed post 94 I think Strummer, Springsteen, Neil Young, Tom Petty,and Lennon. So very different styles. I like the later much better. In the period of Ten, Ed just was looking to do a good job for this new band. It was selfless on his part we know he had stuff like Betterman, Believe You Me. So Ten was my least favorite time for the band, but it really produced a special record.

Last edited by Tj on Wed March 13, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed March 13, 2013 2:10 am 
Future Drummer

Tj wrote:
Really like the idea of this thread, and the threads to follow. To me this is one of the more interesting aspects of the band. Their change from 1990-96 reminds me alot of the Beatles. Ed in the begining was Like a Jim Morrison type of frontman. I think Ed 1991 I think Morrison, Plant, Ozzy, Axl, Mercury. I think Ed post 94 I think Strummer, Springstein, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Lennon,.So very different styles. I like the later much better. In the period of Ten, Ed just was looking to do a good job for this new band. It was selfless on his part we know he had stuff like Betterman, Believe You Me. So Ten was my least favorite time for the band, but it really produced a special record.

I get your argument, barring grammar, but please spell Bruce Springsteen's name correctly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam