The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bombs in Boston
PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 2:33 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I go to Quincy like every other week, if chud tries anything I can key his car.

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 2:39 am 
Poster of the Year

The reason I brought up the T cop is because this came down the other day:

Quote:
BOSTON (AP) — Federal prosecutors say they won't try to prove Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokar Tsarnaev (joh-HAHR' tsahr-NEYE'-ehv) shot Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority Officer Richard Donohue, but say he's still responsible for the officer's injuries.

In a court filing Friday, prosecutors said the government doesn't intend to offer evidence that Tsarnaev shot Donohue.

Instead the government alleges Tsarnaev is responsible for Donohue's injuries because Donohue was shot while he and other officers were attempting to prevent Tsarnaev's escape.

Investigators have never said who shot Donohue.

Donohue has said he has no memory of the encounter on the streets of Watertown between police and bombing suspects Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

Federal prosecutors are also requesting attorneys for Tsarnaev notify them if they plan to introduce any evidence that Tsarnaev had a mental illness.

I just find it interesting that they're admitting that Tsarnaev didn't shoot him, because there's no evidence that he did, but everyone is ignoring the elephant in the room that he was shot by a fellow officer.

The police were very trigger happy that day, and no one will bring any of that up.

The boat thing is crazy as well. Tsarnaev didn't have a gun, but lots of shots were fired his way. They're damned lucky they were still able to take him alive.

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 2:39 am 
Poster of the Year

Simple Torture wrote:

let's let bygones be bygones

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 2:43 am 
Poster of the Year

Also, I'd really like to know what the FBI really knew about the older brother, especially in light of the fact that they shot the guy in Florida while he was giving a confession.

My guess is that the older Tsarnaev was or had worked for the FBI in some capacity. And when they got the dude in Florida to cop to the Waltham murders that Tsarnaev was also involved in they were afraid that it would come out that he was working for them at some point, and therefor was free to go about plotting the bombing. I don't mean to get all dimejinky on everyone but it's not like the Boston office of the FBI hasn't done this before.

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 2:45 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

let's let bygones be bygones

This calmed you down, but the GoT spoilers didn't?

My university just decided (well, to put it plainly: my university's president just unilaterally decreed) that campus police are going to start being trained to carry guns and that they'll be armed within the year, despite lots of disagreement from the campus community. He sent out a long e-mail today explaining how they're going to be screened and background checked and then trained on how to use non-deadly force to deal with nearly every situation, but events like that (and that thing that happened in NYC a few years ago, I'm foggy on the details--didn't some cop accidentally shoot bystanders outside the Empire State Building?) make me nervous. Oh, and also the campus police's long and stories history of racial profiling.

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 2:47 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Also, I'd really like to know what the FBI really knew about the older brother, especially in light of the fact that they shot the guy in Florida while he was giving a confession.

My guess is that the older Tsarnaev was or had worked for the FBI in some capacity. And when they got the dude in Florida to cop to the Waltham murders that Tsarnaev was also involved in they were afraid that it would come out that he was working for them at some point, and therefor was free to go about plotting the bombing. I don't mean to get all dimejinky on everyone but it's not like the Boston office of the FBI hasn't done this before.

If they had taken the older brother alive, he probably woulda claimed the Boston FBI office offered him immunity from prosecution, aka "pulling a Whitey."

This American Life did an entire episode on the kid they shot in Florida a few weeks ago: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... l-no-tales

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 2:48 am 
Poster of the Year

Simple Torture wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

If they had taken the older brother alive, he probably woulda claimed the Boston FBI office offered him immunity from prosecution, aka "pulling a Whitey."

This American Life did an entire episode on the kid they shot in Florida a few weeks ago: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-a ... l-no-tales

Yeah I listened to that. I had heard a lot of it before, but it was a really well done piece.

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 3:05 am 
Technical Overlord

I pulled nothing.

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 3:22 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Last semester I tried to talk to my students about events like this and to make the point that it's ok not to want to be part of the public mourning/remembrance things because the push to conform in something like this is just like conforming to other social norms: if you want to, it's ok, but there's also no reason to force yourself to feel something to fit in. Their response was basically: "What are you talking about? Boston Strong!" It was fascinating...and troubling?

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 11:51 am 
Future Drummer

Simple Torture wrote:
Last semester I tried to talk to my students about events like this and to make the point that it's ok not to want to be part of the public mourning/remembrance things because the push to conform in something like this is just like conforming to other social norms: if you want to, it's ok, but there's also no reason to force yourself to feel something to fit in. Their response was basically: "What are you talking about? Boston Strong!" It was fascinating...and troubling?

:thumbsup: to you for daring to do such a thing in a public school.

It should be troubling. Every event, even something like the Boston Marathon bombing or 9/11 needs to be understood objectively and not wrapped in jingoism. There's nothing wrong with solidarity with the victims or full on patriotism, but these should never stop you from seeking to understand the "why" even if that answer is something you find ignorant or offensive. Hopefully you got a few of your students to at least think about it, even if they were uncomfortable talking about it in that environment.

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 2:55 pm 
Rank This Poster

IBT nominal tribalism

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 11:23 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

So, channel 4 in the UK are showing a documentary called the hunt for the Boston Bombers, tomorrow. C4 make great programs and are worthy of this. They'll have the doco on their iplayer called 4OD, the next day. Looks good you guys should watch.

PostPosted: Wed April 16, 2014 2:33 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Suspicious bag found at the finish line, and a suspect behaving strangely.

Apparently they've "detonated" the bag, but still have not ascertained that it contained any explosives.

It's either a great response and effort in security, or they've just blown up some guys lunch and runners.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-amer ... 6886134750

PostPosted: Wed April 16, 2014 3:54 am 
Poster of the Year

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Suspicious bag found at the finish line, and a suspect behaving strangely.

Apparently they've "detonated" the bag, but still have not ascertained that it contained any explosives.

It's either a great response and effort in security, or they've just blown up some guys lunch and runners.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-amer ... 6886134750

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/04/15/b ... nish-line/

Quote:
BOSTON (CBS) – On the anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing, Boylston Street was evacuated and two bags were detonated by the Bomb Squad near the finish line.

One of the bags was being carried by a barefoot man who was wearing a long black veil and screaming “Boston Strong.” That man has been identified by sources as 25-year-old Kayvon Edson.

A source tells WBZ-TV that when Edson was stopped by police, he told them he had a rice cooker in his bag. That is when the Bomb Squad was called to the scene.

A source tells CBS News that the rice cooker in the bag was full of confetti. Edson is charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, and possession of a hoax device.

The Bomb Squad inspected the bag left behind the photo bridge and detonated it just before 9:00 p.m. The second bag was detonated about 40 minutes later.

A source says the second bag may have contained photo equipment.

Boston Police say the bags were “disrupted for precautionary reasons.”

Boylston Street was shut down between Dartmouth and Fairfield Streets while police investigated. The road was reopened by 11:30 p.m.

PostPosted: Wed April 16, 2014 4:17 am 
post-structuralist

i'm sorry but :haha:

"A source tells CBS News that the rice cooker in the bag was full of confetti."

otherwise that's pretty fucked up.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed April 16, 2014 12:30 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i like a good joke/prank as much as the next guy, but doing this as well as a professional football players saying bomb in an airport. can these two just be executed with no trial just to clear the gene pool

PostPosted: Wed April 16, 2014 6:52 pm 
Poster of the Year

http://naturalselection.net

the prankster's a fashion designer

PostPosted: Wed April 16, 2014 9:10 pm 

This doco is really good.

All the investigators and the governor and some victims are in it

PostPosted: Wed April 16, 2014 9:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

Peeps wrote:
i like a good joke/prank as much as the next guy, but doing this as well as a professional football players saying bomb in an airport. can these two just be executed with no trial just to clear the gene pool

two?

PostPosted: Wed April 16, 2014 9:30 pm 

Bostonians have a strange accent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 643 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate