The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 66  Next
 Post subject: Re: I Feel Stupid And Contagious / A Nirvana Thread
PostPosted: Sun April 13, 2014 11:21 am 
The worst

wow, so a lot of the best stuff. I actually kinda have a hard time hearing those as nevermind songs but it might just be because of the production choices on those two records. I never listened to much nirvana live

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun April 13, 2014 11:28 am 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
wow, so a lot of the best stuff. I actually kinda have a hard time hearing those as nevermind songs but it might just be because of the production choices on those two records. I never listened to much nirvana live

They cut demos of most of those songs in 1990 and played a lot of them live in 1991. When the sets started to become standardized with Nevermind songs, they disappeared. Then in late 1992, Kurt has major writers block, so they start digging up all these old songs. Their old soundman was surprised when he heard "In Utero" and recognized most of the songs from years previous. He assumed they would be all new songs (as did almost everyone else).

PostPosted: Sun April 13, 2014 11:36 am 
Future Drummer

I thought "Rape Me" was lame when I first heard it on a bootleg and I was sure it would be discarded. Instead they bring it back 2 years later and make it a centerpiece of the album? The music is totally derivative of Teen Spirit, the lyrics are rife for misinterpretation, and it's just plain uncomfortable to play around certain people. Rock & Roll is supposed to be shocking, but "Rape Me" is just plain stupid and unnecessary. Kurt probably thought he was making a serious artistic statement and it would be a #1 single. What a dumbass.

PostPosted: Sun April 13, 2014 12:42 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I loved In Utero when it came out and still do but I didn't think it was better than Nevermind and still don't. The vibe is superior on In Utero but the songs on Nevermind are top notch. All of them. You might be burned out on them but that's the listeners fault not the songs. There are a few average songs on In Utero that pull the album down a bit.

PostPosted: Sun April 13, 2014 12:56 pm 
The worst

I still really can't stand scentless apprentice

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun April 13, 2014 1:29 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
stip wrote:
what in utero songs were nevermind leftovers?

Rape Me
Dumb
All Apologies
Frances Farmer
Pennyroyal Tea
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

Frances farmer was written in the spring of 92. Rape me was written at the tail end of the nevermind sessions. The rest of the songs were around at the time, but none of them (with the possible exception of all apologies) were ever attempted during the sessions. I don't think that necessarily makes them "leftovers". Sometimes it takes a while to get a song right.

The real period of writers block for kurt came after in Utero was finished. The only two known songs that were written in the last year or so of his life are You Know You're Right and Do Are Mi.

PostPosted: Sun April 13, 2014 1:52 pm 
tl;dr

bada wrote:
I loved In Utero when it came out and still do but I didn't think it was better than Nevermind and still don't. The vibe is superior on In Utero but the songs on Nevermind are top notch. All of them. You might be burned out on them but that's the listeners fault not the songs. There are a few average songs on In Utero that pull the album down a bit.

My experience as well, for the most part. I'm not personally bothered that the half the songs on ''In Utero'' had been around prior to ''Nevermind''--I think if you go through the annals of rock history you will find numerous instances of great records comprised of songs that took a number of years to marinate, and while Kurt said himself that ''In Utero'' pretty much exhausted his reserve of material and that he was more or less creatively drained when it was done, I still think the songs taken at face value are pretty strong (though I would agree with WCT about ''Rape Me''). I would enjoy reading a compare/contrast of the songs on ''In Utero'' vs. the songs on ''Bleach'' and ''Incesticide'' from someone who prefers the latter--to my ears 80% of ''In Utero,'' from a compositional standpoint, completely dwarfs all except for the very best of ''Bleach'' and ''Incesticide.''

That said, I think ''Nevermind'' is their masterpiece and probably always will. When I think of Kurt Cobain the songwriter, and what his greatest strengths were, specifically his ability to create fluid and perfectly sensible pop songs out of weird dissonances and unlikely chord combinations, the ''Nevermind'' songs are what I think of.

PostPosted: Sun April 13, 2014 5:05 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I really like those names and the idea of the all female cast taking Cobain`s place. J Mascis too...i feel Kathleen Hanna, Mark Arm and Lanegan should have been there too.

PostPosted: Sun April 13, 2014 5:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

matt reeder wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
Has your opinion of it changed over time?

Not really.

You're one of the few Nirvana fans I know who holds that opinion. In Utero is my favorite Nirvana album and it is the favorite Nirvana album of most of my Nirvana-loving friends.

Also, while it might be revisionist history that people forget Nirvana was declining in popularity in 1993, they were still insanely popular - they just had a lot more competition, and a song like "Scentless Apprentice" wasn't ever going to appeal to the more meathead, bro-type elements of their fanbase. I think even if Kurt had lived they would have jumped to a different level of popularity when Unplugged was finally released.

I honestly had no idea that Nirvana were considered "in decline" around In Utero until....well.....now. It make sense when you think about it, but nothing was ever going to live up to Nevermind's height, therefore everything under the sun was considered a decline.

Also, had Kurt lived, I'm not entirely sure another album would have been released under the Nirvana name after In Utero. So, either way, the revisionist thing could still be happening.... just not as legendary.

PostPosted: Sun April 13, 2014 6:11 pm 
Future Drummer

I thought "Rape Me" was lame when I first heard it on a bootleg and I was sure it would be discarded. Instead they bring it back 2 years later and make it a centerpiece of the album? The music is totally derivative of Teen Spirit, the lyrics are rife for misinterpretation, and it's just plain uncomfortable to play around certain people. Rock & Roll is supposed to be shocking, but "Rape Me" is just plain stupid and unnecessary. Kurt probably thought he was making a serious artistic statement and it would be a #1 single. What a dumbass.

I think the goal to that song was accomplished, with you and many other people. I have a friend who is a singer/songwriter... He wrote a song called 'Goddamn Life.' Also without much 'intellectual' content... but it sure is funny to see him make people squirm uncomfortably when he sings it. Ever see 'The Aristocrats'? You should watch it :haha:

As far as the 'don't soil your pants' comment... I was simply challenging one statement of yours... In the grand scheme of things, I really don't give a fuck about you or what you say... The whole 'it's my opinion' argument is lame... No Shit, it's your opinion... and this is a discussion forum.

PostPosted: Sun April 13, 2014 6:12 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Iholdthepain wrote:
The whole 'it's my opinion' argument is lame...

PostPosted: Mon April 14, 2014 12:09 am 
AnalLog

I love In Utero and love Rape Me. It's a rather brilliant comment on Smells Like Teen Spirit. It could be misinterpreted (a la Polly) by those who don't know the band well, but my guess is that most of the folks who bought In Utero were quite familiar with Teen Spirit. What Kurt was doing wasn't exactly subtle. Teen Spirit may be the quintessential Nirvana song from a historic perspective, but like many of the better-known tracks on Nevermind, I just can't be bothered to listen to it for the millionth time.

As for Nirvana being in decline, they certainly were (in the U.S.) in terms of popularity. But sales and popularity have nothing to do with quality, whether an album sells a lot or a little. The production on In Utero is better than anything that came before it (in the Nirvana catalog), the songs were mostly great. I'd call it their finest hour.

I wonder if Unplugged would have been released had Kurt not killed himself? Remember that it came out about six months after he died. Again, all part of the legend manufacturing process.

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 7:54 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Quote:
I love In Utero and love Rape Me. It's a rather brilliant comment on Smells Like Teen Spirit.

The album or 'Rape Me?'

Chronologically, it doesn't make that much sense for 'Rape Me' to be written as a comment on 'Smells Like Teen Spirit.'

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 10:19 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Captain Termite wrote:
Quote:
I love In Utero and love Rape Me. It's a rather brilliant comment on Smells Like Teen Spirit.

The album or 'Rape Me?'

Chronologically, it doesn't make that much sense for 'Rape Me' to be written as a comment on 'Smells Like Teen Spirit.'

That's right, Rape Me was first performed in June 1991 (I believe), months before Nevermind's release.

One unexpected result of the increased Nirvana focus in recent weeks has been that I've been listening to Hole for the first time in forever. Say what you will about Courtney but Live Through This is an excellent record.

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 10:21 pm 
Future Drummer

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 10:28 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Heh.

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 10:53 pm 
tl;dr

You know what Nirvana song rules? ''Swap Meet.'' I love that song so much and I never remember it until the one time every five years I listen ''Bleach.''

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 11:03 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Birds in Hell wrote:
One unexpected result of the increased Nirvana focus in recent weeks has been that I've been listening to Hole for the first time in forever. Say what you will about Courtney but Live Through This is an excellent record.

Excellent?

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 11:04 pm 
Future Drummer

4.5/5

PostPosted: Tue April 15, 2014 11:11 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

zeb wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Excellent?

Sure.

Violet, Plump, Jennifer's Body, Doll Parts, Softer Softest, Gutless: those are some great tunes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 66  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands