The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: 4/3/1994 Atlanta*The 20th anniversary thread*
PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 6:33 am 
Future Drummer

4/3/1994 Atlanta*The 20th anniversary thread*

If ever a single PJ show deserved a discussion thread, THIS IS IT! Over the last month, I've engaged many RMers in discussion, and there are a lot of opinions regarding the 'definitive' versions of some of these early songs. Personally, I think Release and Porch could not possibly get any better. The band is obviously very cohesive here, and on FIRE!

I'd also like to know how you first heard the show... not that you care, but here's my account:

It was Easter Sunday, which was a big deal in my family, growing up. I had just come in from family excursions all day long. A few weeks earlier, I had purchased my first boot, the 1993 Brixton show. I was listening to the first song on it in my room, when my step-brother entered and said, "Hey, they're playing that on the radio." Well, first off I knew the radio wouldn't be playing Release, and secondly, it wouldn't be a live track unless it was Alive or Even Flow, so I challenged his claim. He didn't back down, insisted it was the same song, and it WAS live. I turned on the radio to KEGL, the Eagle, in Dallas... and sure enough, they were playing the Easter concert LIVE! They were already on RVM when I popped my Memorex into the cassette deck and began recording. THIS is how I listened to the show from April 1994 until I got a CD-R upgrade while in the midst of my boot mail-trading days.

Other key notables:

*The shout-out to Kurt... what did Ed know?
*the first ever performance of Betterman and Satan's Bed
*What did Keith go to jail for?
*How many vocal/guitar tags can you spot in Blood and Porch?
*Doug Pinnick from King's X lent to a proper live version of WMA.
*WTF was the intermission track? It was cool in a Stupid Mop kinda way.

be sure to roll this sometime today, come back here and give your thoughts...
http://www.pearljambootlegs.org/modules ... 0&ext.html

Post subject: Re: 4/3/1994 Atlanta*The 20th anniversary thread*
PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 6:33 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Good Deep.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 11:30 am 
Future Drummer

I remember my step brother and I were listening to this show on some small shitty radio as the concert was on Z100 in New York at the time. It was the first time I had ever heard Sonic Reducer in general. Ther version of Garden still gets me to this day.

I remember being completely blown away by that and the performances of Already in Love (Satan's Bed) and Better Man. So much that when vitalogy came out, it took me years to get into the album versions of these songs.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 12:11 pm 
Champion of RM

I listened to it a few weeks ago. Great show no doubt, but not the best ever or the best if the tour or even the best of the leg.

I wondered about the Kurt comment too. I know he attempted suicide at least one other time but I thought that was in February or so.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 12:15 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I believe Kurt had been officially reported "missing" a few days before the show after leaving rehab in LA (by famously jumping the wall, if I'm not mistaken) and catching a flight back to Seattle.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 1:20 pm 
Future Drummer

CopperTom wrote:
I listened to it a few weeks ago. Great show no doubt, but not the best ever or the best if the tour or even the best of the leg.

I wondered about the Kurt comment too. I know he attempted suicide at least one other time but I thought that was in February or so.

At the time he was missing. I think this show is special to alot of PJ fans because for us in the 10-16 year old range at the time. We werent going to concerts, PJ barely played in NY in the early 90's except for a few shows. So it really was my first exposure to a live full concert pearl jam experience.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 1:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

the rumor about this show at the time was that they were gonna play philly, but instead played atlanta and would broadcast it for everyone to hear. i still have the cassette tape i recorded the show on.

rvm>whippin is still the most intense pearl jam i can think of. eddie vedder's voice sounds perfect.

agree with the original post, this is one of the shows that should have its own thread.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 1:58 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Good idea, I haven't listened to this one in years. Will give it a spin today.

edit: true story, I lived around the corner from the Fox Theater in 1995-96. I was constantly reminded that I missed this show by one year.

Last edited by EJ on Thu April 03, 2014 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 2:01 pm 
Champion of RM

warehouse wrote:
the rumor about this show at the time was that they were gonna play philly, but instead played atlanta and would broadcast it for everyone to hear. i still have the cassette tape i recorded the show on.

Was this an unscheduled show outside of the planned tour dates?

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 2:37 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

This show is totally great, but I'm still pissed I couldn't go. I was a junior in high school and the show was announced, but there was no dedicated on-sale time. To combat scalpers, tickets were going to be put on sale with an hours notice. I was obsessively listening to 99x for a week hoping to hear the on-sale announcement. Got out of class one day and even flow was on the radio, when the song ended the DJ congratulated the band on selling out two shows in a matter of minutes earlier that day. I was crushed. Even more crushed when I found out a couple of douchebag's I know scored 2nd row seats because one of their dads happened to be in the right place at the right time.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 2:56 pm 
Broken Tamborine

CopperTom wrote:
warehouse wrote:

Was this an unscheduled show outside of the planned tour dates?

Maybe an add on date? They played the same venue the night before too.

lowlight79 wrote:
Ther version of Garden still gets me to this day.

That's one of the best versions of Garden ever. I love the way it builds at the end and how angry Ed sounds by the end of it.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 2:59 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I have listened to the fuck out of this show over the years. I collected the 3 Dissident "singles" piecemeal (Am I correct in remembering that it was import-only before the price dropped sometime?). But because that's the way I listened to it, I only hear the VS and Ten songs plus State of Love and Trust. It was weird later on to realize that after they tagged Satans Bed at the end of a song ... then they played Satans Bed.

Little tidbits stuck to brain from listening so much:

"It's a beautiful city ... Atlanta">>>> razorblade 'Once' riff
"Michael Jackson was innocent"
'Black' ended Disc 2, and as it fades out the opening riff of 'Alive' (the next song) could be heard.
"This song's for Kurt. Good Luck"

Quote:
*How many vocal/guitar tags can you spot in Blood and Porch?

I've always wondered about a part of the Porch jam, where lyrics include "this city is hell," was that a vocal improv, or was it from another song?

Last edited by Captain Termite on Thu April 03, 2014 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 3:26 pm 
Champion of RM

Birds in Hell wrote:
I believe Kurt had been officially reported "missing" a few days before the show after leaving rehab in LA (by famously jumping the wall, if I'm not mistaken) and catching a flight back to Seattle.

From a media perspective, pre-suicide, was "jumping the wall" a joke or a major cause of concern regarding his mental state. It see it mentioned in most articles, but the articles also say he was free to come and go from the facility. The wall was only 6 feet high too.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 3:51 pm 
Future Drummer

Did they do the drum interlude alot back in the day? like the one before sonic reducer?

Ya know after reading Duff's Book, and now knowing he was really all over scene back in the 80's. It doesn't seem to me as much of a surprise now that he would run into Cobain on a plane.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 3:57 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I remember taping this and being petrified, literally shaking with worry that the tape would cut out in the middle of a song. I was so into PJ back then.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 4:27 pm 
AnalLog

You guys are so right about Garden. That version makes me think Pearl Jam could have been even more than they are. Mike and Dave get into the groove as well as any jam band I've seen/heard and you can tell how it pushes Ed's vocals over the top. Damn, I'm going to have to put it on here at work.

For me this is the best show. Pearl Jam at their peak. Ed's voice on 4/3/94 is the best that rock and roll has ever heard or will.

Lot's of great tid bits already, but one of my favorites was prior to Betterman: "This is for the bastard that married my mama."

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 4:45 pm 

For such a well-know show, why isn't the setlist posted on TwoFeetThick (Five Horizons) broken out into regular set, encore 1, encore 2, etc like they are for most shows? It's not a mystery.

5 PJ originals (if we count Out Of My Mind) were played the prior night but not on 4/3. Pretty much the only originals that were part of their repertoire at that time and that weren't played over the 2 days were Breath, Oceans, and Yellow Ledbetter.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 6:03 pm 
Future Drummer

04/02/94 – Fox Theater: Atlanta, GA [125m]
attendance: 4,500
support act: King’s X
soundcheck: Rearviewmirror, Corduroy
set: Release, Go, Animal, Dissident, Even Flow, Why Go, Deep, Jeremy, Glorified G, Daughter/(It’s Better to Not be Sane improv)/(WMA), Blood, Footsteps, Once, Alive, Black, State of Love and Trust, Leash
enc 1: The Kids are Alright, Rearviewmirror, Not for You, Elderly Woman, Out of My Mind, Alone, Porch
enc 2: Indifference
notes: When Ed dons a straw cowboy hat passed up from the audience, Stone plays a few notes from ‘Sweet Home Alabama.’ Ed weaves a couple of lines from REM’s ‘Talk About the Passion’ into the ‘Daughter’ outro. After ‘Black,’ chants of “Eddie, Eddie” cause Ed to stop talking and he says, “Hey, I know my name, and if I knew yours, I’d tell you to shut the fuck up!” The “Mamasan trilogy” is played in reverse order. This first-heard version of ‘Out of My Mind’ is later released as a single on the flip side of ‘Not for You.’
setlist scan

UPDATED August 25, 2005

04/03/94 – Fox Theater: Atlanta, GA [150m]
attendance: 4,500
support act: King’s X
soundcheck: (partial list) Go, Better Man, WMA (X2), Manic Depression (Jeff & Stone w/ King’s X singer and drummer)
set: Release, Rearviewmirror, Whipping, Even Flow, Dissident, Why Go, Deep, Jeremy, Glorified G, Daughter/(ABitW-II), Go, Animal, Garden, State of Love and Trust, Black, Alive, Blood/(Not for You), WMA, Better Man, Elderly Woman, Rats, Satan’s Bed, Once, Sonic Reducer, Porch/(Androgynous Mind), Indifference
notes: Jeff joins Kings’ X, playing bass on the Hendrix cover, ‘Manic Depression.’ King’s X vocalist Doug Pinnick and drummer Jerry Gaskill help out during ‘WMA’ Some lyrics from ‘Not for You’ are thrown in at the end of ‘Blood.’ Prior to a super ‘Sonic Reducer,’ Ed starts playing drums and Dave announces, “Ladies and gentlemen, Dave Abbruzzese!” Jeff chimes in, “Otherwise known as ‘Four Feet’.” Dave then mocks the crowd’s earlier chants of “Eddie, Eddie!” by mumbling “Ed” several times into the mic, before returning to the drum set. A bit of ‘Satan’s Bed’ (“torture follows reward”) is mixed into ‘Rats.’ Before ‘Porch,’ Ed says, “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight,” referring to a large banner handed to him, which reads, “Eddie vs. Atlanta.” Meanwhile, the band is jamming to the Kiss song, ‘Detroit Rock City.’ During the long jam during the middle of this incredible version of ‘Porch,’ Ed throws his mic stand at a huge replica of the “boy on the cross” figurine (depicted in the Vs. book) hanging in the background. Ed dons a Cincinnati Bengals helmet and the gold bat wings and climbs the lighting rig above the stage. Staying there through most of the jam, he throws down a dummy wearing a similar outfit. The crowd screams, thinking that Ed has fallen, but he reappears, and starts singing again. Jeff kicks the dummy into the crowd where it is ripped to pieces. Ed returns to the stage using only his hands on the rope ladder with his feet dangling. A snippet of Sonic Youth’s ‘Androgynous Mind’ is intermingled in ‘Porch’ (and the original played during Ed’s DJ show later). The lights are turned up after ‘Porch’ and at least half of the crowd leaves, missing ‘Indifference.’ This show was broadcast on radio, as well as Ed’s 45-minute DJ session from a van after the show. (The original Monkeywrench Radio?).
[Ed's DJ set: Cigarettes (King's X), I Only Play for Money (The Frogs), A Little Story (Daniel Johnson), Joy Without Pleasure (Daniel Johnson), Androgynous Mind (Sonic Youth), In the Blood (Mudhoney), Disconnect (Rollins Band), Baby Drop (Shudder to Think), Let Down Left Out Laughed At (Eleven), Dock of the Bay (PJ w/ Steve Cropper 3/26/94)]
At the end of the broadcast, Ed says, “… umm, Pete Townshend and uh (laughs) … Kurt Cobain. Hope he’s all right, please be all right. Thanks for letting us come into your houses and your cars and your ears (laughs) and uh, sorry about the mess. Sorry we left a mess. I’ll see you guys later take care… bye.”

This where I think the band's braintrust and there thinking a straight shit. Considering the significance of the concert at and it now being 20 years later. They could have done up both Atlanta shows and did a nice release. Unless sony has a issue with it.

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 6:10 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

they don't like bringing attention to Dave A

PostPosted: Thu April 03, 2014 6:14 pm 

Quote:
This where I think the band's braintrust and there thinking a straight shit.

What does this sentence mean?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Live