The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Smashing Pumpkins - Arcane Night Music (Bootleg Mix)
PostPosted: Fri January 10, 2014 11:47 pm 
AnalLog

makeshift wrote:
saw em at lolla in montreal. billy went on an anti us rap. i felt like he was pandering to the french crowd. this was the mid 90's and i was a scrub, but it really turned me off. a lot of bullshit wanking, bass player was weak

That was an AWFUL tour for the band. They were bored with playing Siamese Dream songs, didn't want to play new stuff yet and hadn't figured out how to play to huge crowds yet. They turned off a lot of people on that tour for good.

I assume this is the show: https://archive.org/details/tsp1994-07-27.vidx

I'm pretty sure Billy was tripping balls for most of this tour, too. Every show is like a psychedelic wankfest full of bizarre, elongated space jams, electric cello, and nonsensical comments designed to piss of the crowd. Oh, and they've also fallen into the speed trap - every song is like twice as fast as its studio counterpart - "Cherub Rock" is played at an almost punk-rock pace. It's crazy.

There's a reason I didn't include anything from Lollapalooza 1994 on this comp.

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2014 1:53 am 
The worst

VinylGuy wrote:
stip wrote:
I saw them once and it was a terrible show. Since then I've never felt the urge.

year?

95 or 96, but if it was 96 it was pre adore. I saw them in Portland, ME

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2014 4:32 am 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
stip wrote:
I saw them once and it was a terrible show. Since then I've never felt the urge.

year?

95 or 96, but if it was 96 it was pre adore. I saw them in Portland, ME

I'm certain this is the show: https://archive.org/details/tsp1996-11-04.flac16

That's a pretty good setlist for that point in the MCIS tour but Billy was sick right around then and it resulted in some pretty dull shows. The shows from December 1996 and particularly the January 1997 shows are where it's at, if you like shows where the band plays 18 songs in 160 minutes. :D

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2014 7:37 am 
AnalLog

Porcelina sounded that good pretty much the whole 2000 tour, eh

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2014 9:51 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Matt, how long are you going to leave those Mega links up?

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2014 11:29 am 
A Return To Form

matt reeder wrote:
makeshift wrote:
saw em at lolla in montreal. billy went on an anti us rap. i felt like he was pandering to the french crowd. this was the mid 90's and i was a scrub, but it really turned me off. a lot of bullshit wanking, bass player was weak

That was an AWFUL tour for the band. They were bored with playing Siamese Dream songs, didn't want to play new stuff yet and hadn't figured out how to play to huge crowds yet. They turned off a lot of people on that tour for good.

I'm pretty sure Billy was tripping balls for most of this tour, too. Every show is like a psychedelic wankfest full of bizarre, elongated space jams, electric cello, and nonsensical comments designed to piss of the crowd. Oh, and they've also fallen into the speed trap - every song is like twice as fast as its studio counterpart - "Cherub Rock" is played at an almost punk-rock pace. It's crazy.

I still bought the next albums and dug em. Thanks for the background and your effort on the comp.

A p.s. is that I saw the Flaming Lips on the second stage and was absolutely floored. "Neil Young mated with the Beatles," is what I remember thinking. Drozd on drums was incredible. One of the best performances I have ever seen, so it was gonna be tough for anyone to top them.

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2014 2:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

matt reeder wrote:

Thanks again for loading this, Matt. Downloading now. Going back to something you said earlier in the thread, about SP being one of the most misunderstood bands of the 90's, along with the comments I quoted above, what resources would you recommend for anyone (me) wanting to go back and not just revisit the music but learn more about the history of the band?

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2014 3:36 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

My PC crashed twice trying to download this. :?

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2014 4:24 pm 
AnalLog

zeb wrote:
Matt, how long are you going to leave those Mega links up?

Probably until tonight or tomorrow morning, whenever I put the compilation up on ZOMB.

dsb1218 wrote:
matt reeder wrote:

Thanks again for loading this, Matt. Downloading now. Going back to something you said earlier in the thread, about SP being one of the most misunderstood bands of the 90's, along with the comments I quoted above, what resources would you recommend for anyone (me) wanting to go back and not just revisit the music but learn more about the history of the band?

There isn't really anything I can recommend to you other than listening to a lot of bootlegs. There isn't a book, and Billy Corgan is prone to making outlandish statements and contradicting himself in interviews.

There is this:

To paraphrase Bart Simpson, that documentary is self-serving and omits many glaring details, but it really gets at who the bandmembers are as people - in particular, Billy Corgan seems more human than normal there. I've met him - he's actually a really nice guy, but he has a tendency to react in a very hostile manner to anybody who doesn't "get" him - and I think there are a lot of times he does really stupid things without realizing. He's a very strange, different kind of person. Oddly enough, the most normal member of that band is Jimmy Chamberlin and it isn't even close.

They're as dysfunctional a group of people as you are ever likely to encounter, anywhere. It shouldn't be a surprise to anybody they turned out the way they did.

PostPosted: Sat January 11, 2014 7:57 pm 

Man for some reason CPU jumps to 100% when I download this and my PC crashes. I download all the time it's weird. It's no ones problem but my own but I'll jump off a cliff if this happens when you post your SG one!!!!

PostPosted: Sat January 18, 2014 11:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

finally got done the download.. so awesome.. thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2014 12:02 am 
Future Drummer

I find the outro solo on Cinder (from the God's Joke disc) to be pretty reminiscent of Even Flow.

PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2014 1:27 am 

Downloaded today awesome thanks.

PostPosted: Thu January 23, 2014 1:45 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Just Today or the whole thing?

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2014 1:08 am 
A Return To Form

Wow - I'm definitely grabbing this when I get home from work. Thanks Matt!

PostPosted: Fri January 24, 2014 2:38 pm 

zeb wrote:
Just Today or the whole thing?

Oh you...

PostPosted: Sat January 25, 2014 8:46 pm 

Stumbeline on Disc 5 is really cool.

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2014 11:51 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

Thanks matt reeder, this is a really nicely put together package and even as a casual SP fan I'm enjoying it immensely.

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2014 11:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Matt, thank you for this. It was a labor of love for you, I'm sure. I don't want to DL it all at once for fear of missing the forest for the trees, so which collection would you guys say is the most definitive or essential?

PostPosted: Wed January 29, 2014 12:19 am 
AnalLog

surface the north wrote:
Matt, thank you for this. It was a labor of love for you, I'm sure. I don't want to DL it all at once for fear of missing the forest for the trees, so which collection would you guys say is the most definitive or essential?

Choose the disc that represents your favorite SP album and start there. I think Discs 3, 4 and 5 are my favorites, but I love them all. The miscellaneous disc (7) is another good place to start, as it has alternate versions of a lot of Smashing Pumpkins standards and is maybe the best sequenced of all the discs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands