The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Net Neutrality
PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2014 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

This is a subject I'm not hugely passionate on but for those of you that are, the DC Circuit appears to dealt it a setback:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014 ... y/4473269/

Here's the opinion:

http://www.cadc.uscourts.gov/internet/o ... 474943.pdf

Post subject: Re: Net Neutrality
PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2014 7:26 pm 
Poster of the Year

Well that sucks, but...

Quote:
Supporters of Net Neutrality took some good away from the decision, noting that it established the FCC's power to create Internet rules. "In some respects, no one got what they wanted out of this decision, and confusion over the proper role of the FCC is greater than ever," said Public Knowledge senior vice president Harold Feld in a statement. The consumer interest group intervened on the FCC's side in the case.

PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2014 8:14 pm 
post-structuralist

pete, please explain about net neutrality.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 1:10 am 
Poster of the Year

I'm probably not the best to do it but...

Telecom companies, since they for the most part control the infrastructure that the Internet runs through, argue that they can control content. One example of this is that they could allocate more bandwidth for content they want you to see, content they control and sell you, than the bandwidth they'd allocate for competing content. That pretty much goes against everything that made the Internet great.

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 1:17 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

hey pete

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 1:17 am 
Poster of the Year

whatup

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 1:18 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

packing and drinking..you?

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 1:20 am 
Poster of the Year

Just had some dinner, then smoked a bowl, and now I'm listening to music and browsing RM.

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 1:21 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Just had some dinner, then smoked a bowl, and now I'm listening to music and browsing RM.

I dont want to mess with green habits thread because we're both bronco guys and this is our year..lets take this to the Alex thread

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 1:29 am 
Poster of the Year

I'll see you there.

PostPosted: Wed January 15, 2014 9:08 pm 
Poster of the Year

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 11:36 am 
Future Drummer

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Telecom companies, since they for the most part control the infrastructure that the Internet runs through, argue that they can control content. One example of this is that they could allocate more bandwidth for content they want you to see, content they control and sell you, than the bandwidth they'd allocate for competing content. That pretty much goes against everything that made the Internet great.

"Net Neutrality" is a broad topic. In this case Verizon pays for the "big fiber" backbone lines. The internet user selects the website they want in their browser and the traffic traverses Verizon's network all with the maximum speed and minimum latency it can, determined by Verizon's infrastructure. The government said that Verizon cannot discriminate when it comes to how the packets move across their network in favor of certain websites. So Amazon and a brand new startup must travel the same optimized path. That's the "neutral" part. What Verizon wants is to be able to charge websites to send data through that fastest, broadest path because they claim since they fund and own the lines, it's their right to determine how they are used. The practical effect is startups will not be able to compete against large established sites because they will not be able to afford the best connection. It could also be used to discriminate against competitors, for example NetFlix competes against Verizon's RedBox streaming and NetFlix consumes like 1/3 of all internet bandwidth in the US. Verizon could slow down Netflix data across it's infrastructure (each packet is uniquely identifiable) so that people watching a movie on NetFlix will see stuttering while people watching on RedBox would see smooth playback. This could be really bad for innovation on the web.

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 6:50 pm 
Poster of the Year

broken iris wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

"Net Neutrality" is a broad topic. In this case Verizon pays for the "big fiber" backbone lines. The internet user selects the website they want in their browser and the traffic traverses Verizon's network all with the maximum speed and minimum latency it can, determined by Verizon's infrastructure. The government said that Verizon cannot discriminate when it comes to how the packets move across their network in favor of certain websites. So Amazon and a brand new startup must travel the same optimized path. That's the "neutral" part. What Verizon wants is to be able to charge websites to send data through that fastest, broadest path because they claim since they fund and own the lines, it's their right to determine how they are used. The practical effect is startups will not be able to compete against large established sites because they will not be able to afford the best connection. It could also be used to discriminate against competitors, for example NetFlix competes against Verizon's RedBox streaming and NetFlix consumes like 1/3 of all internet bandwidth in the US. Verizon could slow down Netflix data across it's infrastructure (each packet is uniquely identifiable) so that people watching a movie on NetFlix will see stuttering while people watching on RedBox would see smooth playback. This could be really bad for innovation on the web.

Yup, all that.

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 7:58 pm 
post-structuralist

so the big corporations are going to win this fight too, right?

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 8:05 pm 
Poster of the Year

Well, from what I've read Telecom doesn't have a lot of allies for this outside of their own industry. unfortunately, they don't need allies outside of their industry.

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 8:10 pm 
post-structuralist

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Well, from what I've read Telecom doesn't have a lot of allies for this outside of their own industry. unfortunately, they don't need allies outside of their industry.

not with the advent of mobile devices, it doesn't.

10 years or so back, no one expected the telecom industry to survive the end of the dotcom era. Nortel was bankrupt and they were the biggest telecom company in the world.
I see this fight as a result of how popular mobile web use has become. the big companies see their opportunity to pounce on the ability to charge the hell out of people for access and are going at it full throttle...

PostPosted: Thu January 16, 2014 8:31 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

not with the advent of mobile devices, it doesn't.

10 years or so back, no one expected the telecom industry to survive the end of the dotcom era. Nortel was bankrupt and they were the biggest telecom company in the world.
I see this fight as a result of how popular mobile web use has become. the big companies see their opportunity to pounce on the ability to charge the hell out of people for access and are going at it full throttle...

You got it. Who ever owns the infrastructure wanrs to be able to have all the control. The government basically grants monopolies on the ability to lay infrastructure, so I can see government having a role here but I am quite sure they'll screw the pooch.

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 12:32 am 
Poster of the Year

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-576172 ... ality-faq/

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 4:25 am 
post-structuralist

cutuphalfdead wrote:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57617242-94/why-you-should-care-about-net-neutrality-faq/

Specifically, the court said that since the FCC has classified broadband providers differently than it has classified telecommunications providers, it cannot use statutes that pertain to telecommunications services as a basis for regulation on broadband services.

that's insane

PostPosted: Fri January 17, 2014 4:29 am 
post-structuralist

In April 2010, the same appeals court that handed down Tuesday's decision also decided a case that pitted the FCC against Comcast. In that case, Comcast had challenged the FCC's decision to punish the cable operator for slowing or throttling BitTorrent traffic as a way to manage its traffic. In that decision, the appeals court agreed that the FCC does not have the legal authority to enforce Net neutrality regulations on Internet providers. At the time, the FCC had not adopted official rules regulating Net neutrality. Instead, the agency imposed penalties on Comcast for violating Net neutrality principles it had in place.

After this court decision, a new Democratic FCC was installed. And the FCC, then headed by President Obama's former law school classmate Julius Genachowski, adopted formal Net neutrality rules. And it's these official rules and regulations that Verizon challenged in the federal appeals court case that was decided Tuesday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate