The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417 ... 498  Next

You Know What To Do!
Getaway 13%  13%  [ 42 ]
Mind Your Manners 2%  2%  [ 8 ]
My Father's Son 12%  12%  [ 38 ]
Sirens 7%  7%  [ 23 ]
Lightning Bolt 6%  6%  [ 20 ]
Infallible 12%  12%  [ 38 ]
Pendulum 27%  27%  [ 88 ]
Swallowed Whole 6%  6%  [ 21 ]
Let the Records Play 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Sleeping By Myself 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Yellow Moon 10%  10%  [ 32 ]
Future Days 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 328
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt: The Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2013 3:51 pm 
Stone's Bitch

i'd see that act

PostPosted: Mon December 23, 2013 12:48 am 
jeeeesus relax already

dimejinky99 wrote:
Just checking in. This is where I'm at.

LB is their most challenging since No Code. And their best since Yield.

Really? Every PJ album is challenging i guess..i still think No Code, Binaural and Backspacer are the challenging ones, because they change the sound of the band drastically, specially with the album before them.
LB seems like a better version of BS.

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 7:07 am 
Banned from the Pit

stip wrote:
Strat wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
I've said this before, but it's jsut a whole other deal artistically when it's a band, and not a solo act. There's pros and cons to each. To get a band to agree on a specific direction or sound or approach is difficult/next to impossible. But, the pros are that you have this collaborative interaction which yeilds results that would never exist by any one band member. Apples and oranges.

They all seem to gush over Neil and how he does shit. Thus, they could all easily be on the same page when it comes to throwing caution to the wind and forgetting what pearl jam is apparently and supposed to be about.

They need to man up.

I think his point is that if you have 5 people throwing caution to the wind in 5 different directions you may not be able to produce anything. That's different than the 5 of them having a radically different vision that they share and feeling unable to pursue it because it's not what pearl jam is.

We think of pearl jam as a singular entity, and the creation process as similarly singular, but it's not.

This isn't to say they couldn't all get on the same page about doing something different and then have the pearl jam ideal hold them back, of course. I'm just expanding on what I think Toul means

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OPp0MyQfoM

Ed and Stone....Jeff's part makes me laugh.

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 7:42 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Checking in, it's been a while since I've posted.

I've gotta say, tonight on Christmas eve, I had my brother in law and cousin over who are hardcore Pearl Jam fans like me, and we all got in the car, got drunk in the driveway and blasted the whole album. We were all drunk singing along. I absolutely love every single song on the album, with maybe the exception of FD.

Getaway, MYM, MFS, Sirens, Infallible, Swallowed Whole, Pendulum are all 5 star songs for me. They all grew on me in huge ways. I absolutely hated Infallible's chorus at first, and I hated Swallowed Whole too. Now they are top tier.

And the rest are at least 4 star songs. I love LTRP, Lightning Bolt, Yellow Moon, Sleeping By Myself. Just a consistently great album, song after song.

I rarely even listen to Future Days, and yes it's the rotten egg of the album, but only because it feels like it doesn't belong. Feels like an Ed solo song. But even FD I find myself singing along sometimes. It's not horrible. I kind of like it.

My only complaint for the album is that it doesn't give me enough rock. Mostly slow and mid tempo, but what is there is great. I really hope they can finally rock out hard on the next album.

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 8:20 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Vindicator wrote:

I've gotta say, tonight on Christmas eve, I had my brother in law and cousin over who are hardcore Pearl Jam fans like me, and we all got in the car, got drunk in the driveway and blasted the whole album. We were all drunk singing along. I absolutely love every single song on the album, with maybe the exception of FD.

Getaway, MYM, MFS, Sirens, Infallible, Swallowed Whole, Pendulum are all 5 star songs for me. They all grew on me in huge ways. I absolutely hated Infallible's chorus at first, and I hated Swallowed Whole too. Now they are top tier.

And the rest are at least 4 star songs. I love LTRP, Lightning Bolt, Yellow Moon, Sleeping By Myself. Just a consistently great album, song after song.

I rarely even listen to Future Days, and yes it's the rotten egg of the album, but only because it feels like it doesn't belong. Feels like an Ed solo song. But even FD I find myself singing along sometimes. It's not horrible. I kind of like it.

My only complaint for the album is that it doesn't give me enough rock. Mostly slow and mid tempo, but what is there is great. I really hope they can finally rock out hard on the next album.

yeah, i feel the same...wish they could have wrote another rocker....and future days suck.

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 9:43 am 
AnalLog

Vindicator wrote:

Swallowed hole has really grown on me. Don't know why ed chose to sing this one this way but its slowly working.

Love lightning bolt SBM would be my only omission. Which means pj just let BOB record/produce but when it comes to final track listing suggestions. Maybe leave him out of it.

My only complaint to BOB is the fade out at the end of lightning bolt. Needs at least another 10 seconds before it appears minimum !!!

Yellow moon/pendulum - contain eds best vocal performance.
Sirens/ lightning bolt - best lyrics
Getaway - best solos

Loved the build up to this one. The track release, live premiers of songs, epk interviews, it was all expertly executed.

Can't wait until the next one in 2016

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 11:58 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I'm LAL'ing to this now, after a while of having left it.

I really still think 'Getaway' is a great, classic Pearl Jam song that manages to successfully fuse the old with the new (whether we like it or not, and I'm in two minds).

1 down, so far so good.

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 11:59 am 

Also, I need to thank Jorge here because the headphones he bought me for Christmas (!) really enhance the album.

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 12:09 pm 

I'm up to Sirens. I love it, and like everything leading up to it.

I already know how this is going to go: everything's going to be good to great apart from LTRP and FD.

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 12:18 pm 

Infallible is really good too.

That's a real turn-up for the books.

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 1:29 pm 
tl;dr

Got Some wrote:
Which means pj just let BOB record/produce but when it comes to final track listing suggestions. Maybe leave him out of it.

Too risky. We should just leave him out altogether to be safe.

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 2:51 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
Got Some wrote:
Which means pj just let BOB record/produce but when it comes to final track listing suggestions. Maybe leave him out of it.

Too risky. We should just leave him out altogether to be safe.

I would be over the moon if they got a new producer for the next one. It could be really good if they did.

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 3:06 pm 
The worst

We should have gotten our act together for a jackknife lee sign campaign

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 3:37 pm 
The Master

harmless wrote:
Also, I need to thank Jorge here because the headphones he bought me for Christmas (!) really enhance the album.

Thats awesome! What kind di he get ya??

Merry xmas!

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 4:04 pm 

Strat wrote:
harmless wrote:

Thats awesome! What kind di he get ya??

Merry xmas!

I threw the box away, but they say Panasonic RP-HTX7. Does that sound familiar?

PostPosted: Wed December 25, 2013 4:13 pm 
The Master

What a great chap!

PostPosted: Thu December 26, 2013 2:12 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Vindicator wrote:

It's like the world's worst feedback loop.

PostPosted: Thu December 26, 2013 3:23 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Having only heard the new songs from the live recordings lately, where I can at least say most of them don't sound noticeably out of place with the rest of the band's material, I thought I'd throw the album on again this week to see how it sounds.

It was worse than I remembered.

PostPosted: Thu December 26, 2013 3:31 am 
The worst

Merry xmas spenno :)

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu December 26, 2013 4:04 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Thank you stip! And to you!

:peace:

(Rest assured, it did nothing to dim my Christmas cheer.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 411, 412, 413, 414, 415, 416, 417 ... 498  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam