The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412 ... 498  Next

You Know What To Do!
Getaway 13%  13%  [ 42 ]
Mind Your Manners 2%  2%  [ 8 ]
My Father's Son 12%  12%  [ 38 ]
Sirens 7%  7%  [ 23 ]
Lightning Bolt 6%  6%  [ 20 ]
Infallible 12%  12%  [ 38 ]
Pendulum 27%  27%  [ 88 ]
Swallowed Whole 6%  6%  [ 21 ]
Let the Records Play 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Sleeping By Myself 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Yellow Moon 10%  10%  [ 32 ]
Future Days 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 328
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt: The Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 2:52 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

fuckin love Let the records play...is good, is good.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 3:00 pm 
A Return To Form

There's a lot of inessential tambourine on this album, you guys.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 3:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I'm not sure such a thing exists.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 3:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Top selling albums this year update:

74 - 323,000 - GIRL ON FIRE - Alicia Keys
75 - 310,000 - WRONG SIDE OF HEAVEN…VOLUME 1 - Five Finger Death Punch
76 - 310,000 - BLAME IT ALL ON MY ROOTS - Garth Brooks
77 - 307,000 - STARS DANCE - Selena Gomez
78 - 306,000 - YOURS TRULY - Ariana Grande
79 - 302,000 - DEMI - Demi Lovato
80 - 302,000 - LIGHTNING BOLT - Pearl Jam
81 - 301,000 - BOYS AND GIRLS - Alabama Shakes
82 - 296,000 - NOW 48 - Various
83 - 291,000 - PARADISE VALLEY - John Mayer
84 - 290,000 - BURNING LIGHTS - Chris Tomlin
85 - 288,000 - DOO-WOPS & HOOLIGANS - Bruno Mars
86 - 286,000 - PARAMORE - Paramore

Looks to probably move another 8-9k this week. Inexplicably hanging on...why they don't have a new single out there is beyond me.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 4:16 pm 
Poster of the Year

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I really like Pendulum but there are plenty of songs on Binaural and Riot Act that are much better.

Binaural maybe, but I'm struggling to think of a better song off Riot Act

Most of Riot Act is better than Pendulum.

To be fair, most of Riot Act is better than a lot of good PJ songs. Pendulum is still an excellent song.

I started my sentence with "I really like Pendulum" so slow your roll, Ruddo.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 4:39 pm 
Future Drummer

hlniv wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Let the Records Play is my new Big Wave, I can't understand the general antipathy.

Heathen wrote:
It's my new Fixer.

Uggh...

Sirens= the fixer

LTRP=supersonic

Infallibe= amongst the waves.....crossed with speed of sound...kinda...maybe

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 4:50 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

nomorecrackpipes wrote:
There's a lot of inessential tambourine on this album, you guys.

On a scale of 1 to inessential, it's kind of a 2.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 4:52 pm 

hlniv wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Let the Records Play is my new Big Wave, I can't understand the general antipathy.

Heathen wrote:
It's my new Fixer.

Uggh...

Which post are you disagreeing with?

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 4:56 pm 

I wish people would stop saying that RM users like X song because it is 'unique in the catalogue'. As far as I can see, the songs that are 'unique in the catalogue' at this point tend to be the worst songs they've written.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 5:00 pm 
The worst

harmless wrote:
I wish people would stop saying that RM users like X song because it is 'unique in the catalogue'. As far as I can see, the songs that are 'unique in the catalogue' at this point tend to be the worst songs they've written.

I don't know if this was directed at something I said a few pages back, or if this is just a random comment. I have pointed out that some songs on L-bolt feel newish, but usually in response to 'they have no more ideas' comments. I don't think unique has anything to do with quality, and I often agree. I think most of PJ's best songs are variations on established themes

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 5:01 pm 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
warehouse wrote:
"pendulum" is the best live song on the album, but its pretty much the best thing they've done since the 90s.

I couldn't agree more. I enjoyed it live and it hasn't gotten old for me after many listens.

Neither has Infallible or Yellow Moon. The rest of the album I'm just ho-hum about. But SBM is actually getting more play from me. Only because I think I wrote it off when the album first came out. I would skip over it because I didn't want to hear an Ed solo song. I don't mind the arrangement, though.

This long after Backspacer came out, I think the only songs I wouldn't skip over were GSMF and Johnny Guitar. So that's two from BS and three from Lightning Bolt. Keep it up Pearl Jam, at this pace I'll like every song on your 16th album.

I know this was said in jest, but I do genuinely hope that this dry spell constitutes them experimenting with lots of sounds with a view to eventually releasing a nu-PJ album that is actually great, rather than just yeah... OK.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 5:02 pm 

stip wrote:
harmless wrote:

I don't know if this was directed at something I said a few pages back, or if this is just a random comment. I have pointed out that some songs on L-bolt feel newish, but usually in response to 'they have no more ideas' comments. I don't think unique has anything to do with quality, and I often agree. I think most of PJ's best songs are variations on established themes

I'm not sure yours is the post that inspired it, I've read two or three posts saying the same. But I didn't want to reply to any individuals because I didn't want to start an argument today. So I'm sort disagreeing with an abstract number of people instead.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 5:05 pm 

harmless wrote:
stip wrote:
harmless wrote:

I'm not sure yours is the post that inspired it, I've read two or three posts saying the same. But I didn't want to reply to any individuals because I didn't want to start an argument today. So I'm sort disagreeing with an abstract number of people instead.

It was Oh Jimmy's comment saying people like "Pendulum" because it's unique in the catalogue. Actually the song most unique in the catalogue is LTRP. The song most unique in the catalogue on Backspacer was "The Fixer". So I don't think it follows that people like new sounds from Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 8:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:

It's probably been said before and I missed it.. but the ending of this song reminds me so much of Red Mosquito. That's not a bad thing.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 8:28 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Hey look someone made Lightning Bolt: the Video Game!

http://nothingsgonnastopmenow.com/

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 9:15 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
hlniv wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Heathen wrote:
It's my new Fixer.

Uggh...

Which post are you disagreeing with?

Both. Neither.

I can't tell.

Those are just three pretty piss poor tunes. Big Wave is the only one with something to really like

Most of Pj catalogue > Big Wave >>>>> LTRP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> fixer

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 9:25 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

I think it's more like: Big Wave > Let the Records Play > most of the rest of Pearl Jam's post-Riot Act catalogue.

Perhaps it comes back to that sense of unintellectualised abandon I so enjoy about Vs: I still hear a faint reminder of that in those songs, a willingness to indulge in the cathartic joy of loud rock n' roll for its own sake, that seems otherwise largely absent from their recent work.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 9:34 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

LTRP starts out as an enjoyable enough dumb little trendy song, but quickly devolves into an outright embarrassment. It's a common theme throughout the album and throughout the Post Riot Act Moneygrab™, but it's taken to the extreme here.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 9:51 pm 

Birds in Hell wrote:
I think it's more like: Big Wave > Let the Records Play > most of the rest of Pearl Jam's post-Riot Act catalogue.

Perhaps it comes back to that sense of unintellectualised abandon I so enjoy about Vs: I still hear a faint reminder of that in those songs, a willingness to indulge in the cathartic joy of loud rock n' roll for its own sake, that seems otherwise largely absent from their recent work.

So basically, those songs have got guitars.

PostPosted: Tue December 17, 2013 9:57 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

harmless wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

So basically, those songs have got guitars.

No.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412 ... 498  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam