The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Christmas Music
PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 9:01 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

:heartbeat:

Post subject: Re: Christmas Music
PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 9:08 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

"O Come All Ye Faithful", "O Holy Night" and "Angels We Have Heard On High" are my favorites.

Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I'm always a sucker for the Little Drummer Boy and the Nutcracker Suite.

Also Christmas in Hollis

Mind Your Tanners

im a huge fan
about 12 or 13 years ago i spent about 3 months downloading tons of different versions of my favorite songs from soulseek trying to find the perfect ones and mainly the ones i remembered from growing up and i made everyone a christmas CD that year as a gift, everyone said they loved it and listened to it every year, but then a few years ago i tried to find someone who still had it so i could make myself a new copy and no one has it anymore :( . i still have all the MP3s i downloaded back then so i just need to go through them and remake it

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 9:12 pm 
Poster of the Year

theplatypus wrote:
"O Come All Ye Faithful", "O Holy Night" and "Angels We Have Heard On High" are my favorites.

O Come All Ye Faithful is my favorite. Those other two are great too.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 9:22 pm 
Commissioner

O Holy Night is one of the most perfectly composed melodies ever.

Though I see most people in this thread probably had to read my semi-annual rant about it the other day on twitter, so...

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 9:28 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

"Carol of the Bells", "O Holy Night", "O Come All Ye Faithful", "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", "Fairytale of New York", "Little Drummer Boy" and "We Three Kings" by Wintersleep, and pretty much anything Christmas-related by Sufjan Stevens.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 9:46 pm 
Commissioner

I had never heard this till maybe ten years ago, but fuck do I love this one. One of the few original non-traditional Christmas songs that works for me.

Slade - Merry Xmas Everybody

I'd also post Another Lonely Christmas by Prince here (my favorite), but obviously it's not on youtube.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 10:35 pm 
tl;dr

"O Holy Night" is one of those songs that is so perfect it almost feels like it is impossible for any human performer to do it justice.

Every year I find myself loving Christmas music more and more. The hymns, the pop stuff--all of it. This is a lesser-known personal favorite:

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 10:48 pm 
tl;dr

Here's something I was thinking about the other day: When is the last time a "new" Christmas song was absorbed into the larger, more widely recognizable repertoire of holiday music?

The best I could come up with was "All I Want For Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 10:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kevin Davis wrote:
Here's something I was thinking about the other day: When is the last time a "new" Christmas song was absorbed into the larger, more widely recognizable repertoire of holiday music?

The best I could come up with was "All I Want For Christmas is You" by Mariah Carey.

she definitely brought a large, recognizable something with that song

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 10:53 pm 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
"O Holy Night" is one of those songs that is so perfect it almost feels like it is impossible for any human performer to do it justice.

how about non-human?

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 11:07 pm 
tl;dr

doug rr wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

C'mon Doug RR, that's a good pop tune.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 11:09 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Kevin Davis wrote:
doug rr wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

C'mon Doug RR, that's a good pop tune.

I was referring to boobs

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 11:15 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 11:27 pm 
Commissioner

While it was never a personal favorite as a kid, I get immense pleasure and nostalgia from Joy to the World. When we would go to Christmas Eve services that was always the last song of the mass. It was easy to sing, upbeat, recognizable to everyone, and (most importantly to a kid) meant that mass was over. Once mass was out of the way, it was full steam ahead towards Christmas morning. Very few things matched the euphoria of that last obligation being behind me.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 11:39 pm 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Lament wrote:
While it was never a personal favorite as a kid, I get immense pleasure and nostalgia from Joy to the World. When we would go to Christmas Eve services that was always the last song of the mass. It was easy to sing, upbeat, recognizable to everyone, and (most importantly to a kid) meant that mass was over. Once mass was out of the way, it was full steam ahead towards Christmas morning and Santa. Very few things matched the euphoria of that last obligation being behind me.

I love that Christmas euphoria. It's something that has come back stronger with having kids, because I really enjoy the whole 'santa' thing. Although my wife is terrible at being careful about what she says in front of the kids in regards to Christmas shopping, she thinks my kids aren't listening but I know my oldest doesn't miss a thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he has already worked it out, he's smart like that. If that's the case, I'm sad for him since he's only 6.

My world came crashing down when I found out, and I was about 8. My teacher was reading a Christmas story, and for some stupid reason she decided to tell the whole class.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 11:42 pm 
tl;dr

It really is hard not to accidentally give it away. Kids don't miss a beat.

I also have a lot of great memories of "Joy to the World" being affiliated with the beloved "teacher's' dead" parody.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 11:45 pm 
Commissioner

I don't think any song will ever capture the Christmas euphoria of childhood for me like the Andy Williams version of It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year...

It just FEELS like Christmas at it's most awesome. I can't hear it without breaking into an ear to ear grin.

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 11:48 pm 
tl;dr

Tough to beat this one for me:

I love how there's just a slight hint of melancholy to it, as if he knows the feeling can't last forever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands