The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Fri February 15, 2013 1:51 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Presumably we've heard about Oscar Pistorius being charged with murder? Is that being talked about over there?

PostPosted: Fri February 15, 2013 2:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

harmless wrote:
Presumably we've heard about Oscar Pistorius being charged with murder? Is that being talked about over there?

It's all over the news. That and the broken cruise ship finally being towed back into port.

Apparently he shot his girlfriend 5 times with a 9MM. That's about all I know. I'm not sure the defense has a leg to stand on.

PostPosted: Fri February 15, 2013 3:41 pm 
RM Elitist

Electromatic wrote:
I'm not sure the defense has a leg to stand on.

:shake:

PostPosted: Fri February 15, 2013 3:51 pm 
AnalLog

Electromatic wrote:
harmless wrote:

It's all over the news. That and the broken cruise ship finally being towed back into port.

Apparently he shot his girlfriend 5 times with a 9MM. That's about all I know. I'm not sure the defense has a leg to stand on.

It will be crippled effort, for sure.

PostPosted: Fri February 15, 2013 4:01 pm 
Future Drummer

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
harmless wrote:

It will be crippled effort, for sure.

PostPosted: Sat February 16, 2013 12:47 pm 

Yeah, it's pretty upsetting to be honest. I've tried to make jokes myself but always got shot down for it.

PostPosted: Sat February 16, 2013 8:21 pm 
Broken Tamborine

The defense wont have a leg to stand on.

PostPosted: Sat February 16, 2013 8:23 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Im going out on a limb and saying hes guilty.

PostPosted: Sun February 17, 2013 5:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

apparently there may be a bloodied cricket bat as well.

PostPosted: Sun February 17, 2013 8:43 pm 

So I hear now. Unbelievable. Apparently he won't go to trial for months, but the bail hearing is on Tuesday.

I hope they don't let him off lightly just because he has diamonds on the soles of his blades.

PostPosted: Mon February 18, 2013 5:14 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

never trust a man who doesnt have both feet planted firmly in reality

PostPosted: Tue February 19, 2013 12:24 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

On behalf of California, I appologize to Colorado for exporting so many of our stupid populace to your state.

PostPosted: Tue February 19, 2013 2:08 pm 
Future Drummer

So Prince Georges County Maryland, the county in Maryland adjacent to mine, has temporarily banned guns shows on public land. I wonder what this is suppose to accomplish.

PostPosted: Tue February 19, 2013 2:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

broken iris wrote:
So Prince Georges County Maryland, the county in Maryland adjacent to mine, has temporarily banned guns shows on public land. I wonder what this is suppose to accomplish.

It's less about accomplishment and more about having a track record of doing something, something that can be in the next advertisement, for the next term.

PostPosted: Tue February 19, 2013 5:46 pm 
Future Drummer

The whole concept of gun control is quickly becoming outdated:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/weapons-made-with-3-d-printers-could-test-gun-control-efforts/2013/02/18/9ad8b45e-779b-11e2-95e4-6148e45d7adb_story.html?hpid=z1

“The technology is proceeding so rapidly that when I talk about three-dimensional guns, people think I’m talking about a ‘Star Trek’ plot,” - Steve Israel (D-NY)

I guess all those two dimensional guns are a problem voters can understand. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue February 19, 2013 6:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

broken iris wrote:
The whole concept of gun control is quickly becoming outdated:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/weapons-made-with-3-d-printers-could-test-gun-control-efforts/2013/02/18/9ad8b45e-779b-11e2-95e4-6148e45d7adb_story.html?hpid=z1

“The technology is proceeding so rapidly that when I talk about three-dimensional guns, people think I’m talking about a ‘Star Trek’ plot,” - Steve Israel (D-NY)

I guess all those two dimensional guns are a problem voters can understand. :roll:

So it would blow peoples minds to tell them that the pressure from a round attempted to be fired in a plastic gun would just destroy the gun and probably kill the shooter?

Awesome for movie props though.

PostPosted: Tue February 19, 2013 6:43 pm 
Future Drummer

Electromatic wrote:

So it would blow peoples minds to tell them that the pressure from a round attempted to be fired in a plastic gun would just destroy the gun and probably kill the shooter?

Quote:
Wilson’s group has posted several videos to YouTube of AR-15s firing rounds with 3-D printed high-capacity magazines and lower receivers, the part that includes the firing mechanism and is the only regulated portion of the gun if it’s bought over the counter. Wilson’s parts are made from high-grade polymer and retrofitted to the bodies of existing weapons. The receivers are made able to fire by adding over-the-counter springs, pins and a trigger.

In one recent video, Wilson fires dozens of rounds from an M-16 using a 3-D printed high-capacity magazine

It's true they are not "printing" the whole weapon, but they are not that far off. The other group mentioned in the article had a fully printed weapon that broke after the first use.

PostPosted: Tue February 19, 2013 8:05 pm 
Rank This Poster

broken iris wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

Quote:
Wilson’s group has posted several videos to YouTube of AR-15s firing rounds with 3-D printed high-capacity magazines and lower receivers, the part that includes the firing mechanism and is the only regulated portion of the gun if it’s bought over the counter. Wilson’s parts are made from high-grade polymer and retrofitted to the bodies of existing weapons. The receivers are made able to fire by adding over-the-counter springs, pins and a trigger.

In one recent video, Wilson fires dozens of rounds from an M-16 using a 3-D printed high-capacity magazine

It's true they are not "printing" the whole weapon, but they are not that far off. The other group mentioned in the article had a fully printed weapon that broke after the first use.

aren't these already illegal under the 1935 firearms act listed as any other weapons? That said, that's pretty amazing if they are able to do that.

PostPosted: Tue February 19, 2013 8:14 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

The only really need to print the lower receiver as this is the only part of the gun that is regulated. The other components can be purchased without a background check. As long as AR-15 barrels, bolts, upper receivers and the like are readily available that is.

(lower receiver)

This is not a part of the weapon that experiences substantial strain. Most articles covering this fail to discuss the lower receiver aspect, hence the confusion.

PostPosted: Tue February 19, 2013 9:37 pm 
Future Drummer

Electromatic wrote:

aren't these already illegal under the 1935 firearms act listed as any other weapons? That said, that's pretty amazing if they are able to do that.

The WasPost article says that Rep. Israel claims printed guns would be illegal under the "Undetectable Firearms Act", which conveniently expires this year, but I don't see how that would stop the manufacture once the CAD files reach the interweb. "Illegal" didn't stop mp3s or Pirate Bay or Wikileaks.

Here's an article from Wired suggesting the answer may be regulating gunpowder.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02/gunpowder-regulation/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Top+Stories%29

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate