The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 12:14 am 
Broken Tamborine

Strat wrote:
Listening to the Terminal show from this tour and it seems they have kicked it up a notch. Perhaps the addition of jackie greene? less of a laid back hippie vibe and some louder geetars. Daddy like.

I really enjoyed the show I saw a couple weeks back. Kinda a hit packed setlist which I have heard 20 or so times but Jackie Greene kicked ass.

PostPosted: Thu July 25, 2013 1:23 pm 
The Master

4 shows in Colorado in Mid November! 1 in boulder and three in Denver.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2013 5:56 pm 
The Master

:luv:

Jackie Greene. Shit, yea. he brings so much more to the band than Luther did. Very gritty tone, really tore it up and is quite the showman. The crowes sound absolutely fantastic. What a great couple shows that was! I really, really hope they record with jackie.

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2013 6:14 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:

Jackie Greene. Shit, yea. he brings so much more to the band than Luther did. Very gritty tone, really tore it up and is quite the showman. The crowes sound absolutely fantastic. What a great couple shows that was! I really, really hope they record with jackie.

You know, you just cost me a couple hundred bucks. Now I feel I need to see them in Seattle in a couple weeks.

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2013 6:15 pm 
The Master

surfndestroy wrote:
Strat wrote:

You know, you just cost me a couple hundred bucks. Now I feel I need to see them in Seattle in a couple weeks.

Do it! Played a shit ton from Amorica this past weekend too.

Jackie Green brings the grit that was missing when Luther played. And he is also pretty damn solid on the slide...

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2013 6:45 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:

part of me wishes I had bothered to catch one of the many shows in New England since April, but there's still part of me that can't get over how obvious of a cash grab this was for the Brothers to finance their own shit for next year

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2013 6:55 pm 
The Master

MattA75 wrote:
Strat wrote:

part of me wishes I had bothered to catch one of the many shows in New England since April, but there's still part of me that can't get over how obvious of a cash grab this was for the Brothers to finance their own shit for next year

yea whats the deal for next year? Another hiatus?

No matter, the shows were absolutely fantastic. I hope Jackie Greene sticks around.

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2013 7:57 pm 
Broken Tamborine

MattA75 wrote:
Strat wrote:

It's better than Rich trying to do another Kickstarter.

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2013 8:55 pm 
Future Drummer

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
Strat wrote:

I don't see this tour as a cash grab, certainly not at what they're charging for tickets. To me, a cash grab by the Black Crowes would be a tour sponsored by Miller. Playing dates earlier than expected after an announced break, I can live with that.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 2:32 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I noted in one of the live threads, but finally got to see them for the first time at Terminal 5 Oct. 24th and they were exceptionally awesome. Top 5 live band, and at least in the discussion with Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, and some of the other greats I've seen. They really are an epic live experience.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 3:00 pm 
The Master

Wiser Time is so amazing to hear live. When they come out of the middle jam section and back into the chorus. Chills every time.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 3:14 pm 
Broken Tamborine

surfndestroy wrote:
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
Strat wrote:

I don't see this tour as a cash grab, certainly not at what they're charging for tickets. To me, a cash grab by the Black Crowes would be a tour sponsored by Miller. Playing dates earlier than expected after an announced break, I can live with that.

Actually, ticket price is one reason I didn't go to see them, and what made it feel like a cashgrab. They basically doubled their ticket price from before the hiatus. Being a cash grab is the least of my worries when deciding to buy tickets, but the big price jump turned me off and seemed to do the same to alot of others.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 3:41 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Strat wrote:
Wiser Time is so amazing to hear live. When they come out of the middle jam section and back into the chorus. Chills every time.

Always a highlight and up there with my favorite concert "moments" for any band.

Excited for Jackie Greene. Agree that Luther was often too smooth sounding for some of the songs.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 5:31 pm 
AnalLog

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Oh, Jimmy wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
Strat wrote:

Actually, ticket price is one reason I didn't go to see them, and what made it feel like a cashgrab. They basically doubled their ticket price from before the hiatus. Being a cash grab is the least of my worries when deciding to buy tickets, but the big price jump turned me off and seemed to do the same to alot of others.

the setlists didn't do them any favors for the first 6 months either...the last 6 weeks have been much better

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 6:53 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Been jammin' Before the Frost all day. One of the best late period albums for a rock band ever.

The playing throughout is fantastic.

"Houston Don't Dream About Me" = :luv:

Steve Gorman = :luv:

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 6:59 pm 
The Master

evenslow wrote:
Been jammin' Before the Frost all day. One of the best late period albums for a rock band ever.

The playing throughout is fantastic.

"Houston Don't Dream About Me" = :luv:

Steve Gorman = :luv:

I like you even more now that I know you are a crowes fan

Spoiler: show

I love Steve Gorman. if I were a drummer, I would model myself after his playing. he is also hilarious.

Before the Frost is great. Been a long time, I Aint Hiding, Good Morning Captain and Kept My Soul would all go in my favorite/classic crowes tracks

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 7:14 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I ran to both that album and Warpaint recently, and their music is actually good for running because it helps you pace appropriate for the distance. I used an amazon gift card to basically get most of the back collection I was missing recently despite liking them for quite some time...a live show will motivate you to do this when they are that good.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 7:15 pm 
Stone's Bitch

That spoiler just made my day.

The Crowes are second only to PJ for me as far as most live shows seen. Totally agree on Gorman. He ties the whole thing together and I'm glad they were smart enough to always keep him around when everything else was in flux. I could watch him drum to "Thorn in My Pride" for hours.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 7:22 pm 
Stone's Bitch

Don't think I've ever done this but here goes...

Southern Harmony
Amorica
Before the Frost
Lions
Shake Your Money Maker
Three Snakes and One Charm
Warpaint
By Your Side

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2013 7:28 pm 
The Master

evenslow wrote:
That spoiler just made my day.

The Crowes are second only to PJ for me as far as most live shows seen. Totally agree on Gorman. He ties the whole thing together and I'm glad they were smart enough to always keep him around when everything else was in flux. I could watch him drum to "Thorn in My Pride" for hours.

I was contemplating trying to compile all the Crowes shows ive seen. Has to be in the 20's i believe. Daunting task to reach back into my faded memories

Amorica
Southern Harmony
Warpaint
Before the Frost
Shake Your Money Maker
Three Snakes
By Your Side
Lions

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands