The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 2:47 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Varis wrote:
In fairnesd though, people do keep asking him about shit. I can't blame him for voicing his opinions when asked. I would to most likely.

Of course as you point out we have the collective and reciprocal right to ignore him. I could give a shit about his opinions in the end.

A quote from that interview:

"In the old days we had civic heroes. We had Ralph Nader. We had Gloria Steinem. [...] Why are they asking a rock musician who didn't even graduate high school to help lead the charge and take care of a complex issue. That's a bad sign."

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 2:51 pm 
AnalLog

funny how he's stubborn and an idiot when he sticks with an opinion and a hypocrite when he changes one.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 3:06 pm 
Future Drummer

Mine wrote:
funny how he's stubborn and an idiot when he sticks with an opinion and a hypocrite when he changes one.

Thus is internets. From what I can tell, a lot of his views that have evolved are a result of maturity not hypocrisy, and changing your opinion based on experience and facts is not a sign of idiocy. On some issues though, he remains stubbornly opposed to hearing the other side and guns is one of them.

Last edited by broken iris on Wed November 13, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 3:09 pm 
Broken Tamborine

onawave wrote:
wtf.

trying to make sense of some of these posts.

big sweeping change is the hardest thing to pull off in government. im not "arguing" on the how it should be done. im making a point on that these kinds of program's work in other countries, your CURRENT government is trying to make some progress in making the USA a better place to live. (imho)

Yes, that's your opinion. And you're entitled to it. But, my opinion on your opinion is - most likely, whereever it is you live is quite small (population-wise, economy-wise, everything-wise) relative to the US. So, most likely, you have no idea what you're talking about.

onawave wrote:
i mean holy fuk. every time someone tries to change a law for the better over there, some idiot brings up the one of your amendments and pokes holes in it or hides behind it.

Let's stop for a moment. The law is thousands of pages long. The key wording here is "for the better". Earlier you said, I'm "not arguing how it should be done". I'd say, you kinda are. Do you honestly think that the thousands of pages could include some elements pretty much every single human could disagree with? In our country, this is known as pork. Why does one have to agree with a bill that includes loads of pork and other (largely unrelated) laws in order to pass the underlying initiative that they agree with?

Personally, I disagree with the basics behind the desire for this sort of law. I can understand that someone may disagree with me. However, supporting "this law" and how "this law" was "done" and saying it's "making things better" (at least thus far) is straight-up laughable.

onawave wrote:
basic healthcare for everyone? again im not arguing on how its been implemented, im on the side of the fence that this shit fuking works. its not going to be perfect, but holy shit it has to be better than what u have now.

How do you know it's better than what we have now? Once again, you probably don't. It's a counterfactual. The US is the largest economy in the world. Trying to change healthcare could result in a better system, or could even make things worse. The truth is - we're all just expressing "opinions".

onawave wrote:
im not even going to entertain the spying debate. read the topic.

You're not going to entertain the spying debate? Honestly, why? You're obviously from another country. So, you're OK with the US spying on everything your elected leaders do? Are you OK with them lying about it? Are you OK with them trying to silence and put the guy in a prison hole who made it public information? How about them spying on you? Is that cool? Every single thing you type, you say, etc. I'd say it's beyond f'd up. And if our favorite lead singer had any integrity to points he's made in the past (see Grievance), he'd agree.

In short, I suggest you read about it.

onawave wrote:
getting back to ed. i %100 agree with the dude. imagine if tighter gun controls just even saved one kids life. WINNING

What happens if they didn't? But, for arguments sake, let's say they do help save a few children's lives. But, once again, for argument's sake, what if the government did start to extend spying.... and started to behave more totalitarian. What if we fell into a depression and the US government got out of control? What if we were hit by another terrorist attack and more of our freedoms were removed? Seriously, this is "possible". Is it likely? Depends on perspective. But, it's possible. Some, crazy as it is, don't trust government. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that point of view.

Also, some use guns for recreational activities. Ed uses giant axes. I'd say giant axes, used in a game where they are thrown, are pretty dangerous. Should they be outlawed? Where's the line drawn? And - why? And - are we honoring the 2nd amendment in doing so? These are all reasonable questions.

onawave wrote:
now the counter argument is that people need these guns for self defence. if this is actually true, well america has lost the battle with itself already.

Huh?

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 3:13 pm 
post-structuralist

I'm really missing little wing right about now :/

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 3:15 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

malice wrote:

yeah really.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 3:15 pm 
Rank This Poster

malice wrote:

slut

there, feeling better?

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 3:22 pm 
post-structuralist

Heathen wrote:
malice wrote:

slut

there, feeling better?

I appreciate the effort, babe, but it's just not the same without his readiness to expound for hours onthe complete stupidity of any point that disagrees with his own. also, the vocabulary fuck ups were usually entertaining

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 3:27 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

You know, guys, massive bioaccumulation of industrially released methylmercury into our water supply might someday shield our bodies from alien infectious diseases. Is it likely? Depends on perspective. But, it's possible.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 3:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

malice wrote:
Heathen wrote:
malice wrote:

slut

there, feeling better?

I appreciate the effort, babe, but it's just not the same without his readiness to expound for hours onthe complete stupidity of any point that disagrees with his own. also, the vocabulary fuck ups were usually entertaining

yeah, sorry

we'll always have stip

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 3:33 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Varis wrote:
IlluminEddie wrote:
Varis wrote:
These are :americaissues: so I could give a fuck, but this seems kinda dumb to me:
IlluminEddie wrote:
harmless wrote:
IlluminEddie wrote:
Our government is pretty much broke.

You're allowing quite a bit of leeway in your "pretty much", right?

What's the US debt/GPP ratio? Seriously, look it up...

I think that having more debt than you make in a given year, is kinda the definition of broke. Do you disagree?

I have a mortgage on my home and a mortgage on my business premises, total debt certainly more than I make in a year, whether looking at either gross turnover or family taxable income. My Balance Sheet's still pretty sound though, and we aren't broke by any definition. Your economic theory looks a bit shoddy here, friend.

An individual and a country are not the same thing. Look up the term leverage... think about the negative consequences of leverage. Think about interest payments. Then consider the ability to print money by the US government. Once you do all of the above, apply that term to macroeconomics.

Having a public debt/GDP ratio above 100% (for an entire economy) is extremely high, and yes (that combined with all the aforementioned), in my opinion warrants the term - "pretty much broke".

Like I said, :americaproblems:. This map is interesting though, and I guess goes a way to proving your argument (not about broke, more about bad financial management). America is like the newly wed couple down the street who bought the biggest house they could afford and stocked up on flat screens, lounge suites and personal gym equipment using all the store and credit cards they could lay their hands on. And Canada's even worse! They look to have a serious case of 'keeping up with the joneses'.

Public Debt as a % of GDP

Looks like they should be asking "What would Putin do?". Something involving ripping his shirt off probably.

I believe that map is from 2007, pre-recession. Things have changed a lot since then.

I think this one is from 2012 ( a bit more recent):

...not that it may look like it's a huge difference. The key difference, I'd point out, generally speaking, all countries (particularly US and allies) are getting worse. I'm quite sure that's probably still true if the chart was updated in 2013.

At the end of the day, this ratio is important. And it's a nightmare to get yourself out of because interest payments keep rising. There are two approaches, we (in the US advocate Keynesian policies) keep adding on debt (via gov't spending or via monetary stimulus) with hopes to improve the "debt to gdp" ratio by increasing the gdp part. My opinion, this is irrational. However, the alternative, austerity (where you try to lower debt portion) will hurt like a bitch. EU is following more of that approach because they can't print money like we can (see QE). And this doesn't even factor in how printing money affects inflation (which can also affect what you see in that ratio).

High debt-to-gdp is not a good situation, it will stiffle economic growth and the only way out is some sort of unknown technological boom which could spur GDP and affect debt through tax receipts. If I had to guess, it's only gonna get worse. Look to Japan and their lost decades for what we can "hope for". Their debt-to-GDP is now well over 200%. Some of the EU countries are approaching 200%.

Remember this money isn't nonsensical, it's owed. How will this end? If I had to bet - with a huge, horrible war. Currency wars will be the start and once our country realizes it's no longer the reserve currency all hell will break loose. But, that's just a guess.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 3:40 pm 
AnalLog

broken iris wrote:
Mine wrote:

Thus is internets. From what I can tell, a lot of his views that have evolved are a result of maturity not hypocrisy, and changing your opinion based on experience and facts is not a sign of idiocy. On some issues though, he remains stubbornly opposed to hearing the other side and guns is one of them.

Aren't "guns" one of those issues that is black and white by default. I mean what is the situation in the countries where the guns are banned by US standards is basically a compromise in the sense that they aren't banned they just aren't as easy to get.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 4:07 pm 
post-structuralist

McParadigm wrote:
You know, guys, massive bioaccumulation of industrially released methylmercury into our water supply might someday shield our bodies from alien infectious diseases. Is it likely? Depends on perspective. But, it's possible.

stop arguing counterfactuals

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 4:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

malice wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

stop arguing counterfactuals

Does this look counterfactual to you???

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 4:17 pm 
post-structuralist

yeah, I just wanted to use counterfactual in a post.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 4:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

you can imagine how I felt about the chance to write "bioaccumulation," then.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 4:32 pm 
post-structuralist

McParadigm wrote:

you an' me, we're like this, pal.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 5:10 pm 
Future Drummer

IlluminEddie wrote:
Varis wrote:
Like I said, :americaproblems:. This map is interesting though...

Public Debt as a % of GDP

I believe that map is from 2007, pre-recession. Things have changed a lot since then.

I think this one is from 2012 ( a bit more recent):

...High debt-to-gdp is not a good situation, it will stiffle economic growth and the only way out is some sort of unknown technological boom.

Or better return on the excavation of your natural assets (sorry green-types).

That updated map certainly looks appreciably worse. Not good really. I think you are right - you're fucked.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 5:28 pm 
AnalLog

McParadigm wrote:

i was going to make joke about that not being an issue unless your water supply features fish and other water organisms but now i feel bad about it.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 5:32 pm 
Future Drummer

I'll give you an example. I am not pro gun, but he went into his speech in Hartford over the gun issue and the shooting there and it started out good. But then it went on and on and ended up as a typical Ed rant. My friend who is a causal fan, not on either side of the issues, he just wants to drink beer, smoke weed and go to work said an interesting thing after the show. My friend said "I work at a pharmacy and fear everyday that some pyscho is going to come in with a gun, but do some real work, don't make a speech at a concert or in a interview, make change by knowing both side and coming to a way to meet in the middle"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam