The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: The X Files
PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 4:19 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I prefer monster of the week episodes over mythology ones typically.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 4:39 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
malice wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
malice wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
malice wrote:
first few seasons aren't as interesting as far as connected story lines, but otherwise they were fun. it's not until they start getting into the main plot that it becomes worthy of cult like following

:?:

what??

What do you think the main plot was?

your face

goddamn it

I think she's talking about the mythology stuff
Spoiler: show
the Syndicate and the Invasion and all that

pretty much- basically, the earlier shows in the series were (to my memory anyway) more involved with establishing the show as weird, edgy, a little gory at times, and 'different' as a tv show - there really wasn't anything else like it anywhere that I can think of at the time - it was a must watch show every week.
some of that effect isn't terribly interesting nowadays though-

the really interesting plot lines that began to bleed through every episode were what remained the most interesting and involving parts of the series, and I could watch those shows a hundred times without being put off by them.

As far as I'm concerned it started with Mulder's sister, which was established by the fourth episode of the first season. And the mythology really began by the second season/third season. All the invasion jargon came later, but it was Mulder's crusade to find his sister that ran the show (and hybrids, dueling aliens). The invasion jargon was just added on and made things more complicated.

As much as there was a hardcore fanbase for the mythology episodes, it's the monster of the week episodes that are remembered most. "Home" being the best example.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 5:03 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

"Monster-of-the-Week" episodes I've liked or loved:

"Home", "The Host", "Squeeze / Tooms", "Red Museum", "Die Hand Die Verletzt", "Ice", "Eve", "The Pusher / Kitsunegari", "Miracle Man", "Darkness Falls", "The Calusari", "Humbug", "F. Emasculata", "Soft Light", "Excelsis Dei", "Our Town", "D.P.O" (on my avatar), "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose", "Oubliette", "War of the Coprophages", "Syzygy", "Jose Chung's From Outer Space", "Quagmire", "Small Potatoes", "The Post-Modern Prometheus", "Irresistible" / "Orison", "Bad Blood", "Drive", "The Rain King", "The Unnatural", "X-Cops", "Fresh Bones", "Fearful Symmetry", "Folie a Deux", "Dreamland" (arguably a mythology episode but it isn't, really)... and many more.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 5:05 pm 
post-structuralist

maybe I'll just stick to General Disorder from now on.

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 5:07 pm 
Future Drummer

"Clyde Bruckman". Peter Boyle is genius.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 6:17 pm 
Rank This Poster

Is "Home" the one with the inbred family? If so, then yes, that's one of the best.

I was obsessed with this show back in the day. The first episode I ever saw was "darkness falls", the one with the killer bugs in the woods, and I was hooked. I don't think I've seen the last couple seasons though.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 6:34 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Put me in with the Monster of the Week crowd too.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 7:26 pm 
Poster of the Year

I've said it once and I'll say it again, Eve scared the crap out of me back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 8:28 pm 
AnalLog

It's been a few years since I've watched the episodes, but this thread is giving me the itch to get back into it, especially with Halloween this week.

My favorite episode was "Humbug", with the carnival people.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 8:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The MotW episodes were outstanding. But I'm a mythology guy through and through. Having said that
the resolution to Mulder's sister was probably the most disappointing part of the entire series for me.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 8:55 pm 
RM Elitist

munch

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 9:14 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:
The MotW episodes were outstanding. But I'm a mythology guy through and through. Having said that
the resolution to Mulder's sister was probably the most disappointing part of the entire series for me.

Yup.

And the fact that it was trumped by the ham-fisted handling of Scully's alien child, and the alien colonisation of the planet. The beauty of the X-Files used to be its relative subtlety. It was sci-fi for people cynical of sci-fi, so it was well-balanced with the crime investigation angle. By the end it was all flashing lights and spaceships in full view.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 9:15 pm 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I've said it once and I'll say it again, Eve scared the crap out of me back in the day.

Me too. It's a classic.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 9:16 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

harmless wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Yup.

And the fact that it was trumped by the ham-fisted handling of Scully's alien child, and the alien colonisation of the planet. The beauty of the X-Files used to be its relative subtlety. It was sci-fi for people cynical of sci-fi, so it was well-balanced with the crime investigation angle. By the end it was all flashing lights and spaceships in full view.

Totally agree. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 9:17 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

All this talk makes me wanna break out the DVDs!!!

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 9:25 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
All this talk makes me wanna break out the DVDs!!!

DO IT

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 10:51 pm 
Future Drummer

harmless wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Yup.

Yeah. I don't know if there is a correct way to say this, but I kind of wish the UFO mythology was more grounded in reality. Too much information about different alien species etc.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 10:55 pm 

Harry Lime wrote:
harmless wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Yup.

Yeah. I don't know if there is a correct way to say this, but I kind of wish the UFO mythology was more grounded in reality. Too much information about different alien species etc.

It was to begin with. I can live with the embellishment later on, but it did disappoint at the time.

PostPosted: Tue October 29, 2013 11:51 pm 
RM Elitist

PostPosted: Wed October 30, 2013 3:19 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Farmer John wrote:
I was obsessed with this show back in the day. I don't think I've seen the last couple seasons though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 529 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 27  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment