The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 729  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 8:34 pm 
AnalLog

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... b&c_id=mlb

looks like another round of who might have done what coming...

If they (MLB) really wants this to go away they have to get tough with the penalties
penalize the team/organization as well as the players... if a team gets a player busted, lose games in the standings or something? i dont know... I just hate how the media jumps all over this like its only a problem in MLB... id almost guarantee theres just as many still doing the roids/hgh in the NFL

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 10:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

Everyone that is a professional in sports is cheating I'm beginning to think and or realize.

It's probably a product of our society, but it is what it is. No one is believable anymore. Everyone is full of shit, and statistics are completely fraudlent.

None of this matters because we watch sports to be entertained. The amount of money in sports now pretty much ensures NOTHING is clean anymore.

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 10:20 pm 
Poster of the Year

Electromatic wrote:
Everyone that is a professional in sports is cheating I'm beginning to think and or realize.

It's probably a product of our society, but it is what it is. No one is believable anymore. Everyone is full of shit, and statistics are completely fraudlent.

None of this matters because we watch sports to be entertained. The amount of money in sports now pretty much ensures NOTHING is clean anymore.

This is the same thing as dismissing all politicians as being crooked. Sure, with a narrow view you're right, but this is a blatant example of fairness bias. Everyone may be cheating to an extent, but not all cheaters are cheating equally. Bob Costas had a good point when he was on MLB Network this morning about the story out of Miami. Players these days are still doing everything they can get away with, but the HGH and testerone supplements are nothing compared to the superhuman formulas that you could get from BALCO in the late 90s/early aughts. And that trend is going to continue. MLB is introducing in season random HGH testing for the 2013 season.

So sure, most if not all of them are cheating to an extent, and will continue to do whatever they can get away with. But to say that all stats are fraudulent is simply intellectually lazy.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 12:58 am 
AnalLog

oh joy, Braun's now linked to the Miami firm...

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 3:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
oh joy, Braun's now linked to the Miami firm...

Oh, but the 1-person arbitration panel already ruled in Braun's favor in an arbitration where Braun never challenged the substance of the sample but just the handling of it, meaning Braun's never taken PED's!

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 3:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

Braun has been full of shit for over a year now. He won his case, so he wasn't suspended, but he failed a test because he was taking PED's. He can continue lying about it or tell the truth, but he was/is cheating.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 4:12 pm 
AnalLog

I never defended him last year... Ive often stated, hes exactly the type of player (full of himself, big ego, wants to be the most popular/best) who would try and get an advantage.

from what all the reports are saying, he didnt get anything from this firm, his lawyers went to the firm for advice/knowledge on PED's and how they could be tampered with, for their case last year.

so, were to believe, that, to get advice on your steroid case? your lawyers went to an anti-aging clinic??? What was Victor Conte busy that day? he loves giving out free advice on how flawed the whole system is lol

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 4:26 pm 
Poster of the Year

Braun's full of shit, but he has the perfect alibi. Which is great because I have him on my fantasy team and don't need a suspension.

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2013 12:21 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Is anyone else just completely sick of hearing about this kind of stuff? As long as you arent breaking storied records, I really couldnt care less what people decide to do to their own bodies.

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2013 12:44 am 
AnalLog

numbers wrote:
Is anyone else just completely sick of hearing about this kind of stuff? As long as you arent breaking storied records, I really couldnt care less what people decide to do to their own bodies.

Im more tired of the witch hunt that goes on with baseball players
you know the NFL has just as many if not more using...
there was football players linked to Balco but all ya ever hear about is Bonds.
a handful of Panthers from their super bowl season were linked to another lab... but no one brings that up at all...

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2013 12:54 am 
Mind Your Tanners

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
numbers wrote:

Im more tired of the witch hunt that goes on with baseball players
you know the NFL has just as many if not more using...
there was football players linked to Balco but all ya ever hear about is Bonds.
a handful of Panthers from their super bowl season were linked to another lab... but no one brings that up at all...

that's always been a pet peeve of mine as well. Yeah baseball players take steroids, but just look at a god damned football team and tell me that 75% of those guys arent juicing. ESPN is on the NFL's dick so bad it's sickening.

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2013 6:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Maybe Curt Schilling should have taken the advice and juiced, he might not be homeless today.

PostPosted: Fri February 08, 2013 12:37 am 
Rank This Poster

Everyone gets so up-in-arms about the recent steroid stuff, while Todd Helton's DUI is a minor story.

PostPosted: Fri February 08, 2013 12:59 am 
Mind Your Tanners

philpritchard wrote:
Everyone gets so up-in-arms about the recent steroid stuff, while Todd Helton's DUI is a minor story.

as it should be.

PostPosted: Fri February 08, 2013 9:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

numbers wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

as it should be.

I'm not saying it should be big news, but it should be a far more damning act than using steroids.

PostPosted: Fri February 08, 2013 10:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

It has nothing to do with baseball though, so I dont think it should be a story at all. Steroids at least has something to do with baseball, although as I said earlier I'm sick of hearing about it.

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 8:09 am 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

PED's suck. They suck the life out of baseball discussions like this and sucked the life out of the Hall of Fame induction ceremomy this summer.

Next year on the other hand, 3 guys not linked to PED's should go in together as first ballot guys.

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas

Maddux has an outside shot to be the first unanimous inductee but some baseball writter will leave him off his ballot to try and be a part of the story. A Maddux PED scandal would crush me more than any other player. Maddux, Griffey, and Jeter need to stay clean for me.

Glavine obviously made the right decision to chose baseball over hockey. It's too bad Smoltz can't go in with Maddux and Glavine.

Thomas is a notch below Maddux/Glavine in my HOF but a deserving player. It wouldn't shock me if the writers make him wait a year and get Biggio in.

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 2:11 pm 
AnalLog

Brainof23 wrote:
PED's suck. They suck the life out of baseball discussions like this and sucked the life out of the Hall of Fame induction ceremomy this summer.

Next year on the other hand, 3 guys not linked to PED's should go in together as first ballot guys.

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas

Maddux has an outside shot to be the first unanimous inductee but some baseball writter will leave him off his ballot to try and be a part of the story. A Maddux PED scandal would crush me more than any other player. Maddux, Griffey, and Jeter need to stay clean for me.

Glavine obviously made the right decision to chose baseball over hockey. It's too bad Smoltz can't go in with Maddux and Glavine.

Thomas is a notch below Maddux/Glavine in my HOF but a deserving player. It wouldn't shock me if the writers make him wait a year and get Biggio in.

The idea that Frank Thomas should have to wait for Craig Biggio is ridiculous...Biggio doesn't belong there at all, nevermind before Frank Thomas

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 4:39 pm 
AnalLog

3,000 hits will get Biggio in, thats a pretty big number, you can argue all you want that he only got there because of playing so many years, but im sure theres plenty of other players who played that many years who didnt get there.

luckily baseball doesnt seem to work like the NFL hall of fame... where they make players wait their turn to get in... Art Monk not being a first ballot hall of famer in the NFL made that whole process a joke, guy retired the all time leading WR in catches, and played in the days before a spread offense, on a team that ran the ball first, but they couldnt let him in before... so and so, thats a joke...

Baseball at least seems a bit more? predictable, you can usually tell, if a player starts off around 50% theyll slowly make their way up to the 75% needed. At least it seems like theirs less controversy with Baseball system than the NFLs

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2013 5:17 pm 
RM Elitist

MattA75 wrote:
Brainof23 wrote:

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas

The idea that Frank Thomas should have to wait for Craig Biggio is ridiculous...Biggio doesn't belong there at all, nevermind before Frank Thomas

pfft. Arent you the same guy that said Whitaker doesn't belong?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 729  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports