The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Alright guys, Lightning Bolt, you know what to do...
PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 2:58 pm 
AnalLog

My Father's Son
Swallowed Whole
Getaway
Pendulum
Mind Your Manners
Lightning Bolt
Infallible
Let the Records Play
Yellow Moon
Sirens
Sleeping By Myself
Future Days

I'd say Sleeping By Myself has the biggest chance to rise a bit higher down the road, and I don't think Future Days will ever not be my least favorite song on the record

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 3:28 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Yellow Moon - Loved it on first listen, havent changed after repeated listens.
Sirens - Same as above. Eddie's great here and on most, if not all of the record.
Swallowed Whole - REM? Yeah I'm all in.
Getaway - very good opener, could wind up a 5 star song for me.
Mind Your Manners - as with most first singles, I liked it and it resides somewher just outside the top tier on the record.
Pendulum - didnt disappoint, about what I expected. Really enjoy what they did here.
Lightning Bolt - I like this one, but felt it could have been epic. Left me wanting more.
Infallible - Not sure about this yet. I like certain points, not crazy about others. need more time with this one.
Sleeping By Myself - liked the Uke version, and they did a nice job with full band version. could move up.
My Father's Son - didnt like it at first, not bad after a few listens. won't crack the top 4 but could move up.
Future Days - its not terrible, but I wont seek it out for repeated listens.
Let the Records Play - not feeling this one, and I love Stone. This wouldnt be a top 10 song on Moonlander.

Overall - this a very good record. I like Backspacer a lot, this is better, although we shall see how it ages. Probably somehere in the middle for me in ranking the 10 albums, somewhere between 5-7

Last edited by vedder316 on Wed October 09, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 3:32 pm 
The worst

I like when people attach guideposts to their rankings. Is number 9 a song you like, but not as much. Indifferent? Awful? Fantastic?

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 5:17 pm 
Banned from the Pit

The order might change but I think I am pretty clear on the Top 5

Pendulum
Getaway
Yellow Moon
Infallible
Lightning Bolt
My Father's Son
Sleeping By Myself
Sirens
Swallowed Whole
Mind Your Manners
Future Days
Let The Records Play - I don't hate any song yet so although this is last it's not terrible...

Definetly would rank this album above S/T and Backspacer, maybe just a bit on top of Binaural/Riot Act

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 5:51 pm 
Future Drummer

Okay, I've listened enough times that I'm ready to take an initial stab at this:

1. Pendulum - Just really great
2. Getaway - I'm struck every time by the fact that such a good song opens the album
3. Sirens - Still totally has its claws in me
4. Lightning Bolt - A few weeks ago I wouldn't have believed I'd have this one up here

5. Infallible - There's potential for a big leap here in the future if everything clicks for me
6. My Father's Son - It feels weird having this halfway down the rankings, as I totally dig it

7. Yellow Moon - As with Infallible, this too could climb, but I'm not yet convinced that I'm missing anything here
8. Swallowed Whole - Ultimately the lyrics are what hold this back a bit
9. Mind Your Manners - Definitely a good song, it's just my least favorite type of thing that PJ does these days

10. Sleeping By Myself - I had no previous attachment to this, and I have no serious complaints. I like it.
11. Future Days - I'm with the folks who think this is fine. Not ideal, but fine.
12. Let the Records Play - I don't dislike this, but I think I'm falling more and more to the "it's such a generic attempt" side of things

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 5:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

Pendulum
My Father's Son
Swallowed Whole
Yellow Moon
Getaway
Sleeping By Myself
Mind Your Manners
Lightning Bolt
Infallible
Sirens
Let the Records Play
Future Days

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 6:03 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Feeling cynical today! Hope you enjoyed the last two days!

Stuff I probably won't listen to again but I like ok:
Getaway
Pendulum
Yellow Moon
Mind Your Manners
My Father's Son

targeted for deletion, though they probably arent that terrible:
Swallowed Hole
Sleeping By Myself
Infallible

targeted for deletion and I hope I never have to hear them again:
The rest. My God these songs are horrible. Sirens and Lightning Bolt take a massive saccharine shit right in the middle of the album. The worst part is it sounds like they are really trying.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 7:14 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

These currently remain on my iPod:

Getaway
Mind Your Manners
My Father's Son
Infallible
Pendulum
Swallowed Whole
Sleeping by Myself

Of those, I'd say MFS is excellent, Getaway and Pendulum are pretty good, the rest are varying degrees of OK(ish).

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 7:34 pm 
Banned from the Pit

1. Getaway - On first listen I was hooked. Then learned the lyrics and liked it even more. My interpretation shows these lyrics as not bashing any group of people but being open to other people's ideas even though they are not your own. The layers of music are good, the lyrics are good, the song is catchy on first listen and many thereafter. So far my favorite, but could change in the next few days.

2. MYM - I am just one of those who loves the punk PJ sound. Still love this one but the others may grow on me more and surpass this as time goes on.

3. My Father's Son - Lyrics tell an interesting story, music is interesting and sounds like constant pattern changes (which is something I tend to like). More times than not, I don't find the organ playing to be overly useful but in this I think it actually works. I like the anger build up in the song, and how the music goes with the lyrics in that they are both somewhat schitzo. I am a fan.

4. Pendulum - Love the music, love the sound of Ed's voice along with the music. Lyrics are pretty weak (basically just saying this is light and this is dark over and over again in different ways). The music is good enough to make this a very good song.

5. Sirens - Hated this song the first time I heard it and was shocked that this could even be a PJ song. But after about 10 listens it grew on me. Now I hear it and I love the music, and the lyrics (which really bothered me at first) I now actually find to be kind of sweet. At first it sounded like a love song and then one of you here mentioned that this could just as easily go with the concept of a child, and after that I was sold. Now I really like this song and when I hear "I study your face, the fear goes away" I no longer cringe but actually take it to heart.

6. Lightning Bolt - similar to Sirens in that when I first hear this from the Wrigley show, I did not like this at all. The studio version, however is much better in my eyes. Lyrically, I like the story/visuals and how metaphorically speaking someone/something can have such an impact on you that it becomes uncontrollable.

7. Yellow Moon - Low Light part 2 but better. The lyrics are not wonderful but they do paint a good picture in my mind and I really like the music.

8. Swallowed Whole - Sounds upbeat, kind of a rock-a-billy sound (Social D a little maybe?). I don't quite know how to feel about it. I don't love the music, and the lyrics are just kind of coming to your zen place. Nothing bad about the song, just nothing that I love either.

9. Let the Records Play - Old(er) school rock sound that has lyrics that make me think of Neil Young (not his lyrics but as if they are talking about him). Good song, but not top of my list.

10. Infallible - I really like the lyrics, don't particularly like the music at all. And the music is what brings this one down this far on my list as it is not enjoyable to listen to the music for me.

11. Future Days - Just not my thing. Even though it is probably the worst song on the album, I don't see it as unlistenable but if I am listening to LB all the way through, it is likely that I will fast forward through Future Days more times than not.

---SBM - I didn't rate it because it just feels like it was already on an album...

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 7:40 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

After one drunken listen:

Yellow Moon - gorgeous and rich. An autumnal feast.
Swallowed Whole - galloping fun, with the best solo on the album. That key change tents my pants.
Getaway - hold me down and do me Jeff.
Pendulum - sepulchral barrow wight Ed. Spunk worthy.
My Father's Son - bonkers. As I said before, that bridge is like being handed a piña colada after getting fisted in the Scrap Brain Zone
Infallible - teetering riff, poppy chorus. Hmm. An enigma wrapped in Jeff's horsey cock.
Mind Your Manners - Deceased Massachusetts President meets his Marilyn Vedder singing well
Lightning Bolt - very Pearl Jam. Verses meh, the rest yeh
Sirens - syrupy sugary popcorn. A Sunday afternoon weepie on the goggle-box
Let The Records Play - a trailer park slut of a song. Good when drunk, just hope you double-bag
SBM - a uke-bearing minstrel wearing a look of alarm as I shoot the fucker for squatting on hallowed PJ album turf.
FD - a festering turd floating in Ed's lavatory.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 7:48 pm 
Future Drummer

Yellow Moon
Pendulum
Infallible
LB
Getaway
MFS
Swallowed Whole
SBM
MYM
Future Days
LTRP
Sirens

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 8:09 pm 
The worst

Juvenal wrote:

Swallowed Whole - galloping fun, with the best solo on the album. That key change tents my pants.
My Father's Son - bonkers. As I said before, that bridge is like being handed a piña colada after getting fisted in the Scrap Brain Zone
Infallible - teetering riff, poppy chorus. Hmm. An enigma wrapped in Jeff's horsey cock.
Mind Your Manners - Deceased Massachusetts President meets his Marilyn Vedder singing well
Let The Records Play - a trailer park slut of a song. Good when drunk, just hope you double-bag
SBM - a uke-bearing minstrel wearing a look of alarm as I shoot the fucker for squatting on hallowed PJ album turf.

why aren't you working for a music website somewhere?

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 8:18 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Juvenal wrote:

That is a tremendous description right there. Disoriented like the song. Almost feels like it could go in the song.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 9:29 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Thanks guys :oops:

The post stands about MFS - it has many twists and turns and I like it :)

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 11:21 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Enjoy
Getaway
Sirens
Pendulum

Good
Yellow Moon
Mind Your Manners
Swallowed Whole

I miss 1992-98 Pearl Jam
Lightning Bolt
Infallible
My Father's Son
Sleeping By Myself
Future Days
Records Play

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 11:23 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Juvenal wrote:

I'm gonna add a new rule to the RM drinking game: take a sip any time Juvenal makes a reference to a devious sex act.

PostPosted: Thu October 10, 2013 2:12 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Can't quite rank them yet. I am feeling like a minority loving this album but I'll group them:

Favorites so far: Pendulum, Infallible, Lightning Bolt, Getaway

Close second tier: Swallowed Whole, Yellow Moon, Mind Your Manners, My Father's Son, Sirens, Let the Records Play, Sleeping By Myself

The thank goodness I am married and never have to worry about proposing this as a candidate for a wedding song: Future Days (it's okay and heartfelt but it really should have been a b side).

PostPosted: Thu October 10, 2013 2:26 am 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

Getaway is the only song I give a damn about so far.

PostPosted: Thu October 10, 2013 2:27 am 
The worst

liebzz wrote:
Can't quite rank them yet. I am feeling like a minority loving this album but I'll group them:

Favorites so far: Pendulum, Infallible, Lightning Bolt, Getaway

Close second tier: Swallowed Whole, Yellow Moon, Mind Your Manners, My Father's Son, Sirens, Let the Records Play, Sleeping By Myself

The thank goodness I am married and never have to worry about proposing this as a candidate for a wedding song: Future Days (it's okay and heartfelt but it really should have been a b side).

if you post in the day people like it. If you post at night they don't

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu October 10, 2013 2:35 am 
AnalLog

this is mostly based on the music. i haven't paid attention to the lyrics to most of these songs yet.

MFS - this is an all-around awesome latter-day PJ song. menacing, engaging, manic at time and melodic. i love the punch-in-your-face intro, the slightly distorted bass track and the spooky, reverb-laden guitar touches in the verses. the bridge sounds a lot like something Matt could come up with (i liken it to Evacuation's) and he's superb on that part. good Eddie performance, especially the last verse (an apt use of his current screaming voice).
Pendulum - i've been waiting a long time for the comeback of the tribal beat in PJ (last occurence was on Can't Keep, right?) and while it's easy to associate this feature with Jack Irons who's the PJ godfather of polyrythms, Matt (and Dave A.) are quite good at this kind of stuff (Jesus Christ Pose). anyway, back to the song; this is what this band should be doing more often. i get the feeling that by thinking too much about the live shows and how each album cut will fit on a setlist that the band shied away from its most interresting facets. i really love the arrangements on this one - it's sparse yet the bass is quite busy/melodic, the emphasis is on the mood, setting a landscape for Ed's fabulous barytone to paint images on it. when the acoustic comes in and Ed goes "ahh-ah-ah-ah-ah" is a bit of a WTF moment that ends up being exotic and pretty unique.
Getaway - this is a nice evolution of GSMF's idea to me; pretty groovy, hard-hitting (when that chorus arrives, it's a fucking monster) and, most of all, it's suited to Ed's voice (for those who are looking forward to a live version, it's an important factor). there's nothing really new or daring in this song, it's just fucking good. i like the solo btw and the unison bends at the end. my critic is that it could have used some meatier guitar tones.
Infaillible - this came as a surprise after the vignette. the chorus is poppier than what everyone expected but i happen to like it. i mean, if PJ wants to make poppy songs, i'll take this kind of approach over The Fixer or Sirens' any day. this is an interresting musical bed. Jeff and Matt own this and whoever played the organ (or the guitar/keytar??) did it right. the instrumental break/solo is a great part and Eddie's performance is perfect. my main gripe with this song though is that, while it's well-executed, i don't get the need to go pop on a groove like that. it could have been so much more...
MYM - on this album more than ever, the band's songwriters' current statuses are in plain sight. Jeff is the master distiller of his many influences - since Yield, this guy just kept on getting better at writing original stuff that still remains faithful to his roots (i'd say: punk, prog and hardcore). Eddie's all over the place, writing killer material (Getaway, SW, GSMF, No Ceiling...) and some pretty lachrymose (The End, Guaranteed) or sappy songs (FD, Skipping, JB). Stone's uncanny talent for badass riffery and melodic beauty is currently MIA. save for a few contributions, he's had a bad ratio since Binaural (the few Brad/solo songs i heard of his outpass his PJ contributions easily, save for the Salmon Song) and his tasteful guitar work is what keeps him at the core of PJ. Matt's apprently not on this album's songwriting credits which is a shame since he's, along with Jeff, the guy who keeps this band moving into new territory. maybe he got sick of getting fixered...which leads us to the strange case of Mike McCready, the songwriter. the guy wears his heart on his sleeve, not unlike his influences. in that sense, he's the opposite of Jeff who likes to mix styles and mostly avoids clichés. Mike embraces clichés and probably lives in a constant state of déjà-vu. this is a pretty hit-or-miss strategy but in the case of MYM i think it works. thanks to Eddie's manic delivery and to Matt's enthusiast pounding - the way he turns the half-time intro into double-time (it feels like it but i may be wrong) is fucking badass. i could do without the bridge and its vocal harmonies (not bad per se but it's not my cup of tea) that somewhat remind me of The Fixer's bridge. nice, crazy solo and pretty good bass work, AGAIN, by Jeff.
SW - the acoustic guitar, as many have pointed out, sounds thin, basically bad, maybe awkwardly played and since it's the basis of this song, the rest should suffer from this. in fact after a few listens, it sounds like the electric guitar is the main (and only) tridimensional asset of this song. it could have used a wider acoustic gtr sound IMHO and wetter drums - anyway. i like how it builds up and the amazing solo is the peak of this song. it feels like a RA-era PJ song mixed with ITW's Eddie. pretty nice tune, will get better with further listens for sure.
LB - it could be higher than this because i really like it but it feels like a "gimmick song". there are some mindblowing moments in there (the first solo come to mind and the bit right after it, for instance) but i have to get past the flurry of effects, overdubs to really reach the meat of the bone here. all in all, it's a good band performance. i really like what Matt does here.
SBM - this version reminded me of a style the band i'm in sometimes adopt which i could not really name. a folk-country-fairground hybrid (it's actually not that fucked-up) and since i like this for my own songs, i'd be insincere if i said that i dislke it. it sounds a bit weird for PJ though, no doubt about that but it's tastefully done and the song is basically good. it's just not where i prefer seeing the band. and seriously, fuck BO'B's recommendations as far as songwriting/tracklisting is concerned. this should have been a Lost Dog.
YM - this is a strange one. of course it's reminescent of Low Light in many way but it still has its own personality (i think that many beloved early PJ songs are cut from the same cloth). i feel like this is one of the rare songs on this album on which the lyrics are the main thing at stake in order to decide if this is good or not. the music is pretty nice though (not too crazy about the solo - at least it's short) and the arrangements are top class. it's also fine to hear a song with this kind od very soft/intense Eddie voice. agreeable.
Sirens - well, for quite some time i had this one stuck in my head probably because it's meant to. i don't like this style of music yet i'm liking it (thanks to the big fluffy teddy bear that roams my rib-cage). i came to the conclusion that it's because i was craving some new PJ. it's not really a bad song but it's meant to be a crossover hit. if it fails, then it's a double-fail because seriously, do you guys think that Jeff and Matt like this kind of stuff?
LTRP - it could have been a nice little rocker but the chorus is BAD. nice bridge though.
FD - DOA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam