The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Antiquiet Tweet
PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 9:24 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

McParadigm wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
I'd prefer them to release nothing instead of a half-tempered color-by-numbers set of middle-aged rockers

I agree with that sentiment...mostly. But I don't understand the appeal of catching a show by a band in that kind of state, either.

Honestly, I'm at the point of indifference....I haven't gone to a Pearl Jam show in ten years, now, and I doubt if I'll feel all that motivated to at any point before they retire, so it doesn't effect me one way or the other. But I'm also at work and incredibly bored, so...you know...what the hell. Thought I'd amplify a bit. Better loud than in waves, or whatever the kids are saying these days.

It comes down to, I just can't get interested in a band that isn't creating. Frankly, if the output level is high enough, I'd even rather follow an artist who is farting out those half-tempered albums every 18 months and never touring than one who takes 4 years between albums and yet tours regularly....in my experience the former is far more likely to stumble upon their creative spark again, simply because they are focused on something new, while the latter tends to just keep growing more and more comfortable with the idea of coasting on something very old.

im guessing you say this out of the frustration of not having a new record. I dont want them to become NY and having 32 new records per year. I like that they have 9 studio records and a new one coming. Its nice to see they dont release half baked stuff even if some records felt that way for me ( riot act).
We cant now for sure they arent creating anything. Its really frustrating how long is it taking them to release something.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 10:31 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

VinylGuy wrote:
Its nice to see they dont release half baked stuff

Not so sure about that.

I'm with McP on this. I'd much prefer new music/no touring or, like I said earlier, more frequent releases of whatever they've been working on rather than sitting on it for years in the hope that it will somehow cohere into a classic Pearl Jam album.

I'll continue to go see them, but largely because they've only ever toured down here when they have a new record to promote. I wouldn't be terribly excited to see the kind of shows they've been playing over the last few years, especially since I've already seen them once since Backspacer came out.

They've pretty much given up being a "real" band at this stage, I think it's just a well-paying part-time job that allows them to focus on their real passions (RNDM, Brad, Ed's solo career, whatever the hell Mike does when he's not in Pearl Jam, etc.)

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 10:55 pm 
Polluted

Diggum and Spenno are right. It's probably time to get rid of my flannels.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 10:57 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Self wrote:

I waited for you at the Eugene O'Neill theater and you didn't show up.

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 11:01 pm 
Polluted

theplatypus wrote:
Self wrote:

I waited for you at the Eugene O'Neill theater and you didn't show up.

I was in the 3rd row wearing a flannel and stickman tee-shirt. I didn't want to impose.

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2013 3:08 am 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
I'd prefer them to release nothing instead of a half-tempered color-by-numbers set of middle-aged rockers

I agree with that sentiment...mostly. But I don't understand the appeal of catching a show by a band in that kind of state, either.

Honestly, I'm at the point of indifference....I haven't gone to a Pearl Jam show in ten years, now, and I doubt if I'll feel all that motivated to at any point before they retire, so it doesn't effect me one way or the other. But I'm also at work and incredibly bored, so...you know...what the hell. Thought I'd amplify a bit. Better loud than in waves, or whatever the kids are saying these days.

It comes down to, I just can't get interested in a band that isn't creating. Frankly, if the output level is high enough, I'd even rather follow an artist who is farting out those half-tempered albums every 18 months and never touring than one who takes 4 years between albums and yet tours regularly....in my experience the former is far more likely to stumble upon their creative spark again, simply because they are focused on something new, while the latter tends to just keep growing more and more comfortable with the idea of coasting on something very old.

Team McP and Neil Young.

Paul Westerberg too. Hasn't toured since 2004. But has released weird as shit that he has recorded out of his basement. Farts in cans and some amazing pieces.

PostPosted: Sat February 02, 2013 3:34 am 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
Farts in cans and some amazing faeces.

Eew.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2013 12:36 am 
Banned from the Pit

dp

Last edited by MikeB1977 on Mon October 07, 2013 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2013 12:37 am 
Banned from the Pit

dp

Last edited by MikeB1977 on Mon October 07, 2013 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2013 12:39 am 
Banned from the Pit

Citizen Dick wrote:
Anybody know if the guy mentioned as the coworker/housemate is the same one who began drafting a biography about Eddie's early days trying to make it as a musician...

http://jiveassrevolution.com/post/36762890671/a-biography-of-eddie-vedder-by-mike-braithwaite

The writing itself is clearly amateur and in need of an editor but I always thought the material had some interesting insights about Eddie's early musical taste and inspirations. I haven't listened to the released demos yet, but they might be a good companion to the biography draft.

Hi, I'm probably the guy he was referring to since the only person to work with him and to be his roommate was me. Being curious...... When did he mention this and what was the context? I just happened to be googling names and found this. I might do it once every couple years. Thanks, Mike B.

PS: Hey, I never claimed to be a good writer. Of coarse it's raw, but the point was to get the missing info out there. There's about 10 more chapters after the 2 I put out on my website years ago. Just never put them up. I could've done a book with a writer and had a lot of interest. Too busy. I'd donate most of it to no-kill shelters and stray dogs and cats. That's my thing.

Last edited by MikeB1977 on Mon October 07, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2013 12:46 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

From the Antiquiet article:

Quote:
It’s been a long time since anything “new” has surfaced, but Antiquiet recently came into possession of a direct copy of a tape that Eddie dubbed for a co-worker at his old job at San Diego Petroleum, somewhere in range of late 1989 or early 1990.

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/01/e ... 989-demos/

Is that what you mean?

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2013 1:07 am 
Banned from the Pit

Oh yeah, I think so. He also made copies for a few other people that he worked with. There's even some where we both collaborated a bit and I added some B3 organ to Believe You Me to give it a little more life, for example.

The songs like Crossroads was done on an 8 track player at a cousin's (I think) house in Chicago. He stayed there a couple weeks and then came back to SD. These were way better than his 4-track stuff.

After Bad Radio, he formed a band called Indian Style, and there a demo tape for that band. I was always surprised that IS was left out of his history, but it was a band for 4 to 5 months based in LA. At that point, he was in LA during the week and back to work the weekends in SD. Beth was an intern at Virgin Records, so that's why he formed a band up there. He wanted to be around Beth more.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2013 1:30 am 
Commissioner

Would you ever consider putting the other ten or so chapters up? I remember reading the first two some time ago and really wishing there had been more.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2013 3:54 am 
Broken Tamborine

MikeB1977 wrote:
Citizen Dick wrote:
Anybody know if the guy mentioned as the coworker/housemate is the same one who began drafting a biography about Eddie's early days trying to make it as a musician...

http://jiveassrevolution.com/post/36762890671/a-biography-of-eddie-vedder-by-mike-braithwaite

The writing itself is clearly amateur and in need of an editor but I always thought the material had some interesting insights about Eddie's early musical taste and inspirations. I haven't listened to the released demos yet, but they might be a good companion to the biography draft.

Hi, I'm probably the guy he was referring to since the only person to work with him and to be his roommate was me. Being curious...... When did he mention this and what was the context? I just happened to be googling names and found this. I might do it once every couple years. Thanks, Mike B.

PS: Hey, I never claimed to be a good writer. Of coarse it's raw, but the point was to get the missing info out there. There's about 10 more chapters after the 2 I put out on my website years ago. Just never put them up. I could've done a book with a writer and had a lot of interest. Too busy. I'd donate most of it to no-kill shelters and stray dogs and cats. That's my thing.

Well shit. Apologies for the writing remarks, just living up to the username I guess. I actually enjoyed the stories quite a bit when I first read them years ago. I guess you never expect to actually run into the source of some internet ephemera.

And I’ll second Lament’s request. Would be curious to read any other chapters you had done.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2013 7:13 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Citizen Dick wrote:
MikeB1977 wrote:
Citizen Dick wrote:

Well shit. Apologies for the writing remarks, just living up to the username I guess. I actually enjoyed the stories quite a bit when I first read them years ago. I guess you never expect to actually run into the source of some internet ephemera.

And I’ll second Lament’s request. Would be curious to read any other chapters you had done.

Oh no problem. My writing sucks. Yeah, I've been meaning to post them for a long time. I know Ed's been concerned about what's in the rest of it for a long time, but I told him a long time ago it's nothing to worry about. There's a ton of really funny stories he'll remember and like a lot. I'm balanced. I give him credit for what he's done, and I give him a little smack for the not so great. But it' s all real. I let everyone from that time read it, and that's how they remembered it too.

That 1996 Rolling Stone hack job of Eddie really pissed me off and got me inspired to share the events of that time from my perspective. And I'll be the first to admit I've been a total fuck up when I was younger, so I'm not preaching anything.

If you appreciate reality and balance, then you'll like it. If you're an uber fan that gets upset about anything not praising Eddie, you're not going to like parts of it. It's far from a tell-all. There's things I would never talk about that he's told me, etc. Unauthorized slimy tell-all authors are some of the worst people out there. They don't care who they hurt just for more dirty money.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2013 7:23 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Was Ed a good roommate? Was he as smelly as he looked?

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2013 7:25 pm 
Future Drummer

MikeB1977 wrote:
Citizen Dick wrote:
MikeB1977 wrote:
Citizen Dick wrote:

Oh no problem. My writing sucks. Yeah, I've been meaning to post them for a long time. I know Ed's been concerned about what's in the rest of it for a long time, but I told him a long time ago it's nothing to worry about. There's a ton of really funny stories he'll remember and like a lot. I'm balanced. I give him credit for what he's done, and I give him a little smack for the not so great. But it' s all real. I let everyone from that time read it, and that's how they remembered it too.

That 1996 Rolling Stone hack job of Eddie really pissed me off and got me inspired to share the events of that time from my perspective. And I'll be the first to admit I've been a total fuck up when I was younger, so I'm not preaching anything.

If you appreciate reality and balance, then you'll like it. If you're an uber fan that gets upset about anything not praising Eddie, you're not going to like parts of it. It's far from a tell-all. There's things I would never talk about that he's told me, etc. Unauthorized slimy tell-all authors are some of the worst people out there. They don't care who they hurt just for more dirty money.

:thumbsup:

I remember reading those other chapters a while back too, I look forward to reading the rest whenever you get round to putting it up.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 1:16 am 
Banned from the Pit

theplatypus wrote:
Was Ed a good roommate? Was he as smelly as he looked?

Yes and no.

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 1:17 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Discuss his affinity for eggs, if you will

PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 1:28 am 
Banned from the Pit

stupidmop wrote:
MikeB1977 wrote:
Citizen Dick wrote:
MikeB1977 wrote:
Citizen Dick wrote:

:thumbsup:

I remember reading those other chapters a while back too, I look forward to reading the rest whenever you get round to putting it up.

I'm thinking I'll have time late this month or November. I'd also like to post pictures, but without explaining a lot, it would be a bit complicated. Eddie doesn't care for old pics of himself being shown to the public. If I do, he'll be uber pissed at me and I might even have to lawyer-up if I want them to stay up. I know, silly shit. They're cool pics so who knows why. Based on principle, I may end up lawyering up. He doesn't have copyright to any of them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 374 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam