The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post subject: Anyone Try to Register at Healthcare.gov?
PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 3:54 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

So far, I know one person who has successfully registered. I get as far as step 3, where they want me to answer 3 security question. All three of the drop down menus come up blank every time. This has happened on chrome, IE and my iPhone.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I'm exceptionally calm. . . with so many PJ ticket days under my belt, I feel sufficiently prepared for website issues of this nature. ;)

Post subject: Re: Anyone Try to Register at Healthcare.gov?
PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

NaiveAndTrue wrote:
I'm exceptionally calm. . . with so many PJ ticket days under my belt, I feel sufficiently prepared for website issues of this nature. ;)
This is also probably the same reason why people probably shouldn't do this today. Too many people visiting a website at once is essentially a legitimate distributed denial of service attack. I'm going to wait until after my northeastern PJ journey to see how incredibly pissed off I get at ACA for jacking up my premium for no good reason.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 4:19 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:
This is also probably the same reason why people probably shouldn't do this today. Too many people visiting a website at once is essentially a legitimate distributed denial of service attack. I'm going to wait until after my northeastern PJ journey to see how incredibly pissed off I get at ACA for jacking up my premium for no good reason.

LOL. I'm weary of the 'Insurance CAN start as soon as Jan 1st.' Makes me wonder if it's a first come, first serve deal. I am uncovered as of today because our Insurance bumped our monthly premiums and I couldn't afford the $200 hike.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

NaiveAndTrue wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:
LOL. I'm weary of the 'Insurance CAN start as soon as Jan 1st.' Makes me wonder if it's a first come, first serve deal. I am uncovered as of today because our Insurance bumped our monthly premiums and I couldn't afford the $200 hike.
Considering that there's the unfortunate aspect of forcing people to get insurance, I seriously doubt first come, first serve is in play here.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 4:25 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

How many people do you know that don't have insurance because they 100% just don't WANT it?

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 4:26 pm 
post-structuralist

NaiveAndTrue wrote:
How many people do you know that don't have insurance because they 100% just don't WANT it?

all good patriotic americans?

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

NaiveAndTrue wrote:
Zero, but I am deeply concerned that the policy I've had for several years won't qualify. That's what could really piss me off.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 4:32 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:

all good patriotic americans?

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 4:44 pm 
post-structuralist

Green Habit wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:
Zero, but I am deeply concerned that the policy I've had for several years won't qualify. That's what could really piss me off.

I don't know enough about the details of this plan to comment properly, but I've been living in MA long enough to have dealt with "Romneycare" which is essentially what "Obamacare" was based on by way of the shortest route to the center - I won't lie - health insurance premiums went up quite a bit when health insurance coverage became mandatory, and I actively sought out ways of avoiding that - looked into and help private insurance not offered by my company, contacted the local governmental agencies assigned to assist people with insurance questions, and looking for options etc- as it turns out, I've had mandatory health insurance coverage through my company for a good 5 or 6 years now, and the rates fluctuate depending on what plan my company is offering, what company owns my company, and what options I choose as coverage - as of this current iteration of health insurance offered by my company's most recent owners, the coverage is excellent and much more affordable to me than it was even a few years ago.
It's not as cheap as it was when insurance companies weren't calling the shots about medical coverage, but I'd say even with the rise in cost, it's probably better this way than there being millions of people who don't have insurance because they can't afford it - these people still get sick, require medical care, and it all has to be paid for by someone - it's more efficient that regular health problems being handled in an emergency room because that's the only way the person can get treated, and the subsequent costs associated with a trip there.

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 4:49 pm 
Future Drummer

Green Habit wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:

Well, there is 1% of the population that doesn't care about health insurance coverage.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 5:04 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

malice wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
NaiveAndTrue wrote:

I don't know enough about the details of this plan to comment properly, but I've been living in MA long enough to have dealt with "Romneycare" which is essentially what "Obamacare" was based on by way of the shortest route to the center - I won't lie - health insurance premiums went up quite a bit when health insurance coverage became mandatory, and I actively sought out ways of avoiding that - looked into and help private insurance not offered by my company, contacted the local governmental agencies assigned to assist people with insurance questions, and looking for options etc- as it turns out, I've had mandatory health insurance coverage through my company for a good 5 or 6 years now, and the rates fluctuate depending on what plan my company is offering, what company owns my company, and what options I choose as coverage - as of this current iteration of health insurance offered by my company's most recent owners, the coverage is excellent and much more affordable to me than it was even a few years ago.
It's not as cheap as it was when insurance companies weren't calling the shots about medical coverage, but I'd say even with the rise in cost, it's probably better this way than there being millions of people who don't have insurance because they can't afford it - these people still get sick, require medical care, and it all has to be paid for by someone - it's more efficient that regular health problems being handled in an emergency room because that's the only way the person can get treated, and the subsequent costs associated with a trip there.

Well said, Malice. I feel the same way. Before ACA, my health insurance changed every 12 months based on who was offering the best rates. The two biggies here are Aetna and Blue Cross. Basically, they will quote 'low' for the first year, then inflate the prices from year 2 on out. What happens is MOST companies just bounce between the two, employees have no choice or say, and you usually end up with the lowest tier of what is offered that year. It's already not unusual to have periods of time where "my" doctor doesn't accept my insurance, my co-pays aren't as low or we have high deductibles. I think with ACA at least I can make the choices for myself.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 5:12 pm 
Future Drummer

I tried to register just now and couldn't. I for one am very excited about maybe being able to go to the doctor for less than a million dollars.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 5:14 pm 
Poster of the Year

Single payer, please.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 5:33 pm 
post-structuralist

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Single payer, please.

that got shot down... by guess who?

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 6:13 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 WWW  Profile

malice wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Single payer, please.

That's what pisses me off when they complain about 'no compromise'. The entire fucking ACA is a compromise.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 6:18 pm 
Future Drummer

malice wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Single payer, please.

JP Morgan? Goldman Sachs?

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 6:21 pm 
post-structuralist

broken iris wrote:
malice wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Single payer, please.

JP Morgan? Goldman Sachs?

do they own the GOP now, too? must have been one of the ridiculous bonuses being handed out to their execs as they destroyed the economy.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 7:12 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I bet cod fisherman don't share these woes

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 7:15 pm 
Poster of the Year

If the UK government told cod fisherman to buy health insurance, the cod fisherman would come out on top.

PostPosted: Tue October 01, 2013 7:41 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate