The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 171  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Beautiful Game (The All Inclusive Soccer Thread)
PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 1:01 am 
Mind Your Tanners

pjammer66 wrote:
Whats the ultra scene like at games in the US?.
which football teams do you lads support?
...and can someone tell me (who follows MLS) did Beckham actually do anything except pose for LA Galaxy?

Beckham did pretty good, he wasnt the best player in the league by any means, but he was a good player and earned every penny by coming through as far as bringing exposure to the league and whatnot. Most fans in the US have a club that they support in Europe and an MLS side that they support. I go with Liverpool and the NE Revolution. It probably doesnt seem like much to outside observers, but MLS has grown a TON in the last 6 or so years and is incredibly better in both level of play and production that it was pre 2006.

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 4:16 am 
Gone

Yeah, no longer are MLS games played in football stadiums for the most part either (well, the Revs :cry: ). All the soccer specific stadiums cropping up are a statement to where the game is headed in the USA.

Sporting KC's park is good enough for any Euro team, for example:

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 11:56 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

yea, the Revs will never have their own stadium as long as Kraft owns the team. if a time ever came where Kraft was to sell the team, it would almost certainly be sold to someone intent on moving the team to another city, so it's pretty much Gillette or bust.

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 9:41 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Balotelli to AC Milan? Should be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 4:31 pm 
Rank This Poster

Sort of Ironic that Klinsmann has this opinion of a few of his players as having "accomplished nothing"

This guy has accomplished nothing as a coach. Friendly or not, that was boring weak sauce on national television last night.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 9:41 pm 
Banned from the Pit

Only a matter of time before the US have a team to compete at the top. why its taken so long is a mystery given that the US dominate most world sports e.g. Olympics etc...
if only to put to bed the notion by EPL luvving followers that US football is just a last paycheck for over rated EPL has beens.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 11:28 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

pjammer66 wrote:
Only a matter of time before the US have a team to compete at the top. why its taken so long is a mystery given that the US dominate most world sports e.g. Olympics etc...
if only to put to bed the notion by EPL luvving followers that US football is just a last paycheck for over rated EPL has beens.

Naaaah, you lost even those now. These days, they go to China, Qatar or Russia. :)

Can you give me your opinion on following thought:

"The US is not that good at football, because the whole US mentality, and thus also in sports, is focused on being the fastest, strongest, highest, ... "

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 11:41 pm 
Gone

pjammer66 wrote:

If by "only a matter of time" you mean AT LEAST 10 or 20 more years....maybe. The USMNT has NO world class players. None. They never have. The closest we have gotten is Rossi, who didn't want to play for us.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 11:43 pm 
Gone

Electromatic wrote:
Sort of Ironic that Klinsmann has this opinion of a few of his players as having "accomplished nothing"

This guy has accomplished nothing as a coach. Friendly or not, that was boring weak sauce on national television last night.

Last night was one of the worst soccer matches I have ever seen. Dreadful.

PostPosted: Thu January 31, 2013 12:25 am 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

Last night was one of the worst soccer matches I have ever seen. Dreadful.

I know it wasn't supposed to be the first team or whatever, but damn, that was just awful.

PostPosted: Thu January 31, 2013 12:27 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Has Klinsmann ever actually fielded the true 1st team?

PostPosted: Thu January 31, 2013 2:18 am 
Gone

Well Landon never plays and typically there has been at least one other strong player missing for whatever reason. For me, without Bradley this team doesn't go.

On Landon: If he shows up next April or something and says "Hey guys! World Cup 14!'" I would tell him to GTFO if I had just busted my ass in qualifying....

PostPosted: Thu January 31, 2013 7:38 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Electromatic wrote:

At least he is some kind of a great motivator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0xOwUwKfxU Probably boring if you dont speak german.

This was before we kicked Argentina out of the WC 2006 :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Thu January 31, 2013 9:48 pm 
AnalLog

the US didn't play very well but fuck man we should be cussing out Canada for that dickless showing they exhibited. No attempt to attack. 11 players behind the ball at all times. They attempted 4 total shots and every time the United States broke past the midfield line they were fouled. That was Bullshit soccer

PostPosted: Fri February 01, 2013 12:44 am 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
Well Landon never plays and typically there has been at least one other strong player missing for whatever reason. For me, without Bradley this team doesn't go.

On Landon: If he shows up next April or something and says "Hey guys! World Cup 14!'" I would tell him to GTFO if I had just busted my ass in qualifying....

That's probably exactly what he will do. He's always loved playing Mexico at the Azteca in WCQ though, maybe he comes back for that.

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 3:58 pm 
Broken Tamborine

USA Roster for Honduras:

GOALKEEPERS (3) : Brad Guzan (Aston Villa - 5/3 SO), Tim Howard (Everton – 22/9 SO), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire – 0/0)

DEFENDERS (9) : Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City – 0/0), Carlos Bocanegra (Racing Santander – 31/5), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City – 5/0), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana – 0/0), Timmy Chandler (Nuremberg – 0/0), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders – 0/0), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy – 0/0), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim – 3/0), Michael Parkhurst (Augsburg – 3/0)

MIDFIELDERS (8) : Michael Bradley (Roma – 19/5), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo - 0/0), Maurice Edu (Bursaspor – 9/0), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04 – 5/0), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht – 12/0), Jose Torres (Tigres – 9/0), Danny Williams (Hoffenheim – 4/0), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City – 3/0)

FORWARDS (4 ): Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar – 17/6), Clint Dempsey (Tottenham Hotspur – 26/10), Herculez Gomez (Santos – 6/2), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders – 11/10)

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 5:21 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Looks like Germany doesn't want chandler

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 11:23 pm 
Gone

Timmy hasn't really played well for his club in some time now. Truthfully, i'd rather have Cherundolo and am hoping he can hold up and make it to Brazil.

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2013 2:38 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

verb_to_trust wrote:
pjammer66 wrote:

If by "only a matter of time" you mean AT LEAST 10 or 20 more years....maybe. The USMNT has NO world class players. None. They never have. The closest we have gotten is Rossi, who didn't want to play for us.

Big picture if more and more parents stop letting their kids play football(American version) more and more of our kids who will grow into our elite athletes will probably be playing soccer. Might be 30 years but it will happen.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2013 12:06 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Is the U.S. game today televised? I can't find it anywhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 171  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports