The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Refugee Crisis
PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 5:59 pm 
Gone

B wrote:
Imagine if Congress addressed this so that it didn't swing between inhuman brutality and clueless free-for-all every 4 years!

List the time congress addressed something

PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 6:04 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
Imagine if Congress addressed this so that it didn't swing between inhuman brutality and clueless free-for-all every 4 years!

2008?

PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 6:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

B wrote:

If only there was some way we could restrict the majority of the inflow until they could be properly processed. Some kind of barrier to entry.

Last edited by Bi_3 on Wed September 22, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 6:08 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:

2008?

When they addressed Health insurance stock prices not being high enough?

PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 7:58 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

If only there was some way we could restrict the majority of the inflow until they could be properly processed. Some kind of barrier to entry.

Maybe we can build stands so that Americans can cheer everyone on while watching desperate, homeless people die from exposure on the opposite border of the Rio Grande. Process, house, and/or deport people, don't just delegate the problem to another government.

PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 8:18 pm 
Future Drummer

B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

Maybe we can build stands so that Americans can cheer everyone on while watching desperate, homeless people die from exposure on the opposite border of the Rio Grande. Process, house, and/or deport people, don't just delegate the problem to another government.

Have you read up on this wave of Haitians? Some lived in Chile, Panama, Brazil for ten or more years and sold the homes and businesses they owned there to make their way to the border. They are not refugees in way. They want to live where they want to live with absolute disregard for the rules off where they want to live.

PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 8:22 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I don't know if that changes my answer.

PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 8:31 pm 
Gone

How big is your back yard B?

PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 9:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

surfndestroy wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

Have you read up on this wave of Haitians? Some lived in Chile, Panama, Brazil for ten or more years and sold the homes and businesses they owned there to make their way to the border. They are not refugees in way. They want to live where they want to live with absolute disregard for the rules off where they want to live.

They've also hijacked several busses in escape attempts. No possible moral hazard in rewarding the gamble they have collectively taken.

Maybe make it clear that the laws will be enforced consistently and you end up with less suffering on the border.

PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 9:29 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:

Sorry, did I miss the part where I said "process, house, or deport?"

PostPosted: Wed September 22, 2021 9:47 pm 
Gone

B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I ASKED YOU A QUESTION

PostPosted: Thu September 23, 2021 1:51 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

verb_to_trust wrote:
B wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I ASKED YOU A QUESTION

And I ignored it as stupid and irrelevant.

PostPosted: Thu September 23, 2021 1:55 am 
The Master

haha

PostPosted: Thu September 23, 2021 2:47 am 
Gone

You mean you ignored me like we ignore the border shit show?

PostPosted: Thu September 23, 2021 2:52 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

simple schoolboy wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

They've also hijacked several busses in escape attempts. No possible moral hazard in rewarding the gamble they have collectively taken.

Maybe make it clear that the laws will be enforced consistently and you end up with less suffering on the border.

I went on about my day, but I've thought about this. So, Haitian refugees, who have been established in houses and neighborhoods all over South America for at least a decade decided, together, enmass, that the US would be a cooler place to live, so they all decided, at the same time, to sell their houses, abandon their livelihood, and walk with whatever they could carry, and/or steal buses to travel thousands of miles through some of the most dangerous territory on Earth and take their shot at walking across a river into a country they know nothing about? THAT'S what's happening here? That's the whole story? They wanna live where they wanna live? That's preposterously stupid.

PostPosted: Thu September 23, 2021 3:23 am 
Gone

Got any ideas B?

PostPosted: Thu September 23, 2021 3:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

B wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

I went on about my day, but I've thought about this. So, Haitian refugees, who have been established in houses and neighborhoods all over South America for at least a decade decided, together, enmass, that the US would be a cooler place to live, so they all decided, at the same time, to sell their houses, abandon their livelihood, and walk with whatever they could carry, and/or steal buses to travel thousands of miles through some of the most dangerous territory on Earth and take their shot at walking across a river into a country they know nothing about? THAT'S what's happening here? That's the whole story? They wanna live where they wanna live? That's preposterously stupid.

Do you have an alternate narrative?

I mean, it worked, other than the few planeloads that went to Haiti, they are pretty much all going to be released into the US. One proximate reason why now is the time was the extension of TPS.

We've had how many waves of economic migrants? You are acting like this is without precedent.

PostPosted: Thu September 23, 2021 11:17 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I don't know the solution, but it doesn't start with making up crazy, racist stories about desperate, homeless refugees.

PostPosted: Thu September 23, 2021 11:23 am 
Looks Like a Cat

https://www.wsj.com/articles/latin-amer ... 1632323297

Quote:
CIUDAD JUÁREZ, Mexico—The gathering of thousands of Haitians at the Texas-Mexico border this past week reflects a stark change in migration patterns to the U.S., driven by Covid-19.

A far broader mix of nationalities is turning up at the border than in the past. For decades, most crossers were Mexican men and, in recent years, families from the troubled Central American countries of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, known as the Northern Triangle.

Suddenly Ecuadoreans, Brazilians, Nicaraguans, Venezuelans, Haitians and Cubans are turning up by the hundreds of thousands, a trend that accelerated sharply in the past six months.

From October 2020 through August, nearly 300,000 migrants from countries other than Mexico and the Northern Triangle were encountered at the border, a fifth of all crossings. For all of fiscal 2020, when the pandemic slowed the flow of migrants, the figure was nearly 44,000, or 11% of crossings. In fiscal 2019, it was 77,000, or 9% of crossings; and the year before it was only 21,000, or 5%. As recently as 2007 such migrants represented less than 1%.

Among the fastest-growing groups are Haitians. From October of last year through this August, about 28,000 Haitians were arrested trying to cross the U.S.-Mexico border. That is six times the 4,400 arrested during the entire 2020 fiscal year that ended last September

No conspiracies. The demographics are changing and have been for some time, reporting on it was third-rail due to Orange Man Bad. That doesn't make them less deserving somehow or mean that we don't have a humanitarian obligation to help, but it's not like a single mass of refugees from one nation suddenly decided to huddle and come to the southern border.

PostPosted: Thu September 23, 2021 1:59 pm 
Future Drummer

B wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
B wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
B wrote:

From that MAGA loving resource, The New York Times....
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/20/world/americas/deported-haitians-shocked.html?searchResultPosition=5

"The Haitian migrants had done well for themselves. Since leaving their country, many more than a decade ago, they had built lives in Chile, Brazil, Panama. They had homes and cars. They had stable jobs as bank tellers, welders, mine supervisors, gas station attendants.

But they longed for the possibility of a better a life in the United States, under a president who had protected Haitians in the United States from deportation and many believed would relax entry requirements. So they sold their belongings, left their jobs and pulled their kids out of school. And they headed north."

"In Panama, he fell in love, had children, and became a licensed welder and carpenter, earning $60 a day — a good income by the standards of Haiti, where many live with no running water, no electricity, no prospects of work and the constant fear of kidnapping and extortion by gangs. In Colón, Panama, on the Caribbean, his children went to school for free, and he never worried walking the streets, even at night.

He said his girlfriend and their youngest child were living in Maryland, under special protection afforded to Haitians who were displaced by the devastating 2010 earthquake. Hoping to bring his family together again, he decided to risk it all.

He pulled their 9-year-old son, Nickenson, out of fourth grade, and began what would be a three-month voyage. They traversed several countries, waded across rivers, and spent time in a Mexican jail and then in a dusty ditch near the Del Rio international bridge."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 191 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate