The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Grateful Dead
PostPosted: Sun August 29, 2021 5:59 pm 
Future Drummer

i got bugs wrote:
WCT did you make that one on spotify?

No, just here on my hard drive in FLAC.

PostPosted: Mon August 30, 2021 1:53 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

i got bugs wrote:
Hershey show was good last night.. set wise it wasn't as good as the couple before.. but whatever, still a good set.. mainly the 2nd set

I never saw so many people at that stadium.. I thought gnr brought in the biggest crowd there until last night..

Place is the worst venue on planet earth tho. Every time they try their best to inconvenience everyone in every way possible.. I always swear I'll never return but it's so close to me

I kinda liked it. Security was nowhere to be found. Most venues try to scram people in the aisles . The seats were ridiculously close tho on the floor

John Mayer added a very cool dimension to the songs, especially those he sang

You're right bugs, set-list wise was not as good, but what they played, they played good. I never knew I liked Easy Answers so much until last night lol

Drums sounded liked shotguns. Wtf

I thought Bob was forgetting words until someone informed me they were doing some songs different. Idk, maybe that person was making shit up :haha:

PostPosted: Mon August 30, 2021 8:40 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Man, those Europe '72 show encores sync perfectly with like an hour's worth of running. You get a show with a good stretch of NFAs and Other Ones and the momentum just gibes perfectly with your route. Got 6 miles today with this sequence from London 5.26.72

"China Cat Sunflower"
"I Know You Rider"
"Not Fade Away"
"Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad"
"Not Fade Away"
"Truckin'"
"The Other One"
"Drums"
"The Other One"
"Morning Dew"

Things got weird on miles 5 and 6, then Morning Dew for the post run stretching was a perfect comedown.

You with me, liebz?

PostPosted: Mon August 30, 2021 11:54 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

100%!! I ran to the Dead all the time last summer and some this summer. I mean, set 1 is usually what I like to run to because it’s typically perfectly synched with the ebb and flow of my running (high energy but controlled to start with ups and downs in the energy level throughout). I have run to set 2s, and have had a few where I only ran to one or two songs. Still works.

I could easily make the argument they are the best band to run to because it is easy to sort of get into a meditation while listening and you lose track of where you are in the run. Perfect running band that you would think would be more challenging.

PostPosted: Tue August 31, 2021 1:43 am 
Rank This Poster

knee tunes wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
Hershey show was good last night.. set wise it wasn't as good as the couple before.. but whatever, still a good set.. mainly the 2nd set

I never saw so many people at that stadium.. I thought gnr brought in the biggest crowd there until last night..

Place is the worst venue on planet earth tho. Every time they try their best to inconvenience everyone in every way possible.. I always swear I'll never return but it's so close to me

I kinda liked it. Security was nowhere to be found. Most venues try to scram people in the aisles . The seats were ridiculously close tho on the floor

You're right bugs, set-list wise was not as good, but what they played, they played good. I never knew I liked Easy Answers so much until last night lol

I thought Bob was forgetting words until someone informed me they were doing some songs different. Idk, maybe that person was making shit up :haha:

I just hate how getting in the place n getting a beer is a gigantic clusterfuck every single time you go there

Security was very cool tho surprisingly for a change

PostPosted: Tue August 31, 2021 2:02 am 
Looks Like a Cat

liebzz wrote:
100%!! I ran to the Dead all the time last summer and some this summer. I mean, set 1 is usually what I like to run to because it’s typically perfectly synched with the ebb and flow of my running (high energy but controlled to start with ups and downs in the energy level throughout). I have run to set 2s, and have had a few where I only ran to one or two songs. Still works.

I could easily make the argument they are the best band to run to because it is easy to sort of get into a meditation while listening and you lose track of where you are in the run. Perfect running band that you would think would be more challenging.

we forgot about the time...

PostPosted: Thu September 02, 2021 2:53 pm 
Future Drummer

i got bugs wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

I just hate how getting in the place n getting a beer is a gigantic clusterfuck every single time you go there

I got to hit Citi Field a few weeks ago, had a blast. Rolled my face off for the first time in over a year. Set was great, scene was fun, and security wasn't an issue. Had no idea that dude took a header until the next day.

I wanted to hit a few more shows (SPAC, Bethel, and Harford) but the logistics were tough. With this band, sometimes its good to walk away from the table up. The Fall Tour in 19 we did MSG and Nassau. Should of just stuck to MSG, the Nassau crowd was gnarly and not in a good way. Lucky we left a little early and missed the big bust. I really didn't want to spend the night locked up on Long Island over some balloons.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 4:10 am 
Rank This Poster

Fuck balloons man never again

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 4:11 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

super nintendo chalmers wrote:
i got bugs wrote:
knee tunes wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

I got to hit Citi Field a few weeks ago, had a blast. Rolled my face off for the first time in over a year. Set was great, scene was fun, and security wasn't an issue. Had no idea that dude took a header until the next day.

I wanted to hit a few more shows (SPAC, Bethel, and Harford) but the logistics were tough. With this band, sometimes its good to walk away from the table up. The Fall Tour in 19 we did MSG and Nassau. Should of just stuck to MSG, the Nassau crowd was gnarly and not in a good way. Lucky we left a little early and missed the big bust. I really didn't want to spend the night locked up on Long Island over some balloons.

What the hell happens when you go to shows?

busts and gnarl and head-dives lol

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 2:59 pm 
Future Drummer

NY is skelly! The crazy thing about Nassau in 19 was that it was during the week and supposedly the lot was jumpin from 2pm on. So every pill head in Nassau county descended. Night Lot is a different beast!

The Playin' opener from last night sounds great. They're in a nice little groove this tour.

Last edited by super nintendo chalmers on Fri September 03, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:02 pm 
The Master

Funny enough im actually currently spinning this on my table:

I dont care for jam bands. My brother got this for me because he thought I needed at least 1 dead record living in Colorado.

This is actually pretty good. ITs basically a rock n roll band or country band on acid. Not really "jam band"

Its nice.

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:03 pm 
Future Drummer

One of my fav Berthas is on that record. Wharf Rat too.

The leap from that album to Europe 72 is really something.

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:06 pm 
The Master

ope, drum solo. This went south quickly....

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:12 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I feel like Skull & Roses is a great gateway live album. You don’t have to commit too much, plays like a solid first set. Europe ‘72 is bonkers great.

Agreed regarding Bertha and Wharf Rat.

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:17 pm 
The Master

The Other One - Can fuck right off. Luckily it takes up all of side 2 and i just cancelled that all together.

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:19 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
The Other One - Can fuck right off. Luckily it takes up all of side 2 and i just cancelled that all together.

Yeah, TOO is not my fav part of that record at all.

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:32 pm 
tl;dr

Strat wrote:

"The Other One" became a beast in '72, but it's out of place on this record, which is a really sharp, polished representation of the Dead as a "song" band during this era. And the drum solo, not singled out as its own "Drums" track (which kinda didn't become a thing for them until later), is a bummer.

Strat, I genuinely think you'd love the Dead if you got into them via the right channels. If there are parts of this album you like I'd strongly recommend checking out Europe '72, which is similar to this album (a slightly studio-enhanced presentation of their live sound, with a focus on songs over extended jams, though not without small elements highlighting their improv skills), only with even better songs ("Brown Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "He's Gone," "Tennessee Jed," "Jack Straw" -- damn!). Skull and Roses is a good album, and I totally agree with "Bertha" and "Wharf Rat" -- the highlights of this album for sure -- but Europe '72 was the one I really couldn't quit when I was first discovering the Dead (that and Live/Dead, though that one is definitely on the jammy side).

PostPosted: Fri September 03, 2021 3:42 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
Strat wrote:

"The Other One" became a beast in '72, but it's out of place on this record, which is a really sharp, polished representation of the Dead as a "song" band during this era. And the drum solo, not singled out as its own "Drums" track (which kinda didn't become a thing for them until later), is a bummer.

Strat, I genuinely think you'd love the Dead if you got into them via the right channels. If there are parts of this album you like I'd strongly recommend checking out Europe '72, which is similar to this album (a slightly studio-enhanced presentation of their live sound, with a focus on songs over extended jams, though not without small elements highlighting their improv skills), only with even better songs ("Brown Eyed Women," "Ramble On Rose," "He's Gone," "Tennessee Jed," "Jack Straw" -- damn!). Skull and Roses is a good album, and I totally agree with "Bertha" and "Wharf Rat" -- the highlights of this album for sure -- but Europe '72 was the one I really couldn't quit when I was first discovering the Dead (that and Live/Dead, though that one is definitely on the jammy side).

KD is exactly on the money. Live/Dead I think is good to go to once you have established a threshold for longer jams. Europe ‘72 is just great. I recall really loving Mr. Charlie here but can’t quite recall if it is specifically from Europe ‘72 or just the way they played it across that tour.

PostPosted: Sun September 05, 2021 3:40 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

i got bugs wrote:

:haha: you mean nitrous?

PostPosted: Sun September 05, 2021 4:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

knee tunes wrote:
i got bugs wrote:

:haha: you mean nitrous?

Yea

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 833 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands