The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 175  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Mon August 09, 2021 5:27 pm 
AnalLog

numbers wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
Also, the fanbase doesn't give a shit anymore because they've won 4 World Series in the last 17 years...there was definitely a dropoff in rabidness after 2004, but it's only decreased each year, the one exception being 2013 for obvious reasons...add in the fact that the younger crowd (anyone younger than 35, and that's being generous) doesn't give a shit about baseball, and that a lot of the hardcores have literally died off in the last 15 years or so, and you get what you have now in terms of the fanbase

It has eroded at a much faster pace since 2019. You cannot convince it's not because the owners/front office have completely embraced antagonizing and insulting the fans whenever they speak in public.

Sam Kennedy is an embarrassment...Werner and Henry aren't much better.

But I think you're overestimating the fan base. Sure, everyone jumped on the bandwagon again in 2018 because it was a playoff run but it was nothing more than casuals along for the ride. Hell, at this point, I'm so put off by them (ownership/Kennedy) that I'm pretty much a casual fan at this point and was actively hoping they'd lose 100 games this year.

The decline truly started in earnest after Theo left, the Tito slander article, and Bobby V. They lucked out in 2013 which stopped the bleeding but then sucked for 2 years after that which was the final nail in the coffin in terms of the old guard style of Red Sox fan.

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 11:18 am 
Mind Your Tanners

MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
Also, the fanbase doesn't give a shit anymore because they've won 4 World Series in the last 17 years...there was definitely a dropoff in rabidness after 2004, but it's only decreased each year, the one exception being 2013 for obvious reasons...add in the fact that the younger crowd (anyone younger than 35, and that's being generous) doesn't give a shit about baseball, and that a lot of the hardcores have literally died off in the last 15 years or so, and you get what you have now in terms of the fanbase

It has eroded at a much faster pace since 2019. You cannot convince it's not because the owners/front office have completely embraced antagonizing and insulting the fans whenever they speak in public.

But I think you're overestimating the fan base. Sure, everyone jumped on the bandwagon again in 2018 because it was a playoff run but it was nothing more than casuals along for the ride. Hell, at this point, I'm so put off by them (ownership/Kennedy) that I'm pretty much a casual fan at this point and was actively hoping they'd lose 100 games this year.

The decline truly started in earnest after Theo left, the Tito slander article, and Bobby V. They lucked out in 2013 which stopped the bleeding but then sucked for 2 years after that which was the final nail in the coffin in terms of the old guard style of Red Sox fan.

The bandwagon didnt really come back in 2018, attendance and ratings were not significantly up from the previous years. The pink hat 2004 fan just doesnt exist anymore, it's back to the diehards from pre-2004 only.

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 7:57 pm 
AnalLog

numbers wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:
MattA75 wrote:

The bandwagon didnt really come back in 2018, attendance and ratings were not significantly up from the previous years. The pink hat 2004 fan just doesnt exist anymore, it's back to the diehards from pre-2004 only.

there isn't really a personality for the pink hat fans to latch onto now...Pedro/Manny/Ortiz/Pedroia sort of led that for a long time, and I think Betts had some of that...but no one has that sort of personality to bring that type of fan in

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 10:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:
MattA75 wrote:

there isn't really a personality for the pink hat fans to latch onto now...Pedro/Manny/Ortiz/Pedroia sort of led that for a long time, and I think Betts had some of that...but no one has that sort of personality to bring that type of fan in

Johnny Damon got that crowd "interested" in baseball.

PostPosted: Tue August 10, 2021 11:26 pm 
AnalLog

elliseamos wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:
MattA75 wrote:

good call!

PostPosted: Wed August 11, 2021 12:55 am 
Mind Your Tanners

MattA75 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:
MattA75 wrote:

good call!
and then Jacoby, Papelbon, and Lackey kept them interested.

PostPosted: Wed August 11, 2021 11:51 am 
Mind Your Tanners

It was alot about the Red Sox and Fenway being cool and hip among yuppies, when that ended those people moved on to microbreweries and shit.

PostPosted: Wed August 11, 2021 12:45 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

numbers wrote:
It was alot about the Red Sox and Fenway being cool and hip among yuppies, when that ended those people moved on to microbreweries and shit.

Shit is pretty cool these days.

PostPosted: Thu August 12, 2021 1:10 pm 
The Master

You guys must feel a bit better this morning.

PostPosted: Thu August 12, 2021 3:06 pm 
Poster of the Year

we'll see

PostPosted: Thu August 12, 2021 7:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Because the Patriots season is officially starting?

PostPosted: Sun August 15, 2021 8:45 pm 
Poster of the Year

Don't worry everyone Travis Shaw is here.

PostPosted: Sun August 15, 2021 8:58 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

The Mayor of Ding Dong City

PostPosted: Mon August 16, 2021 12:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:
The Mayor of Ding Dong City

It's Ding Dong Township at this point, at best.

PostPosted: Wed August 18, 2021 2:18 pm 
The Master

Norris wrote:
Don't worry everyone Travis Shaw is here.

Boston and Milwaukee keep swapping this guy around.

PostPosted: Wed August 18, 2021 10:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

3rd place!

PostPosted: Thu August 19, 2021 10:10 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Will be 4th very soon.

PostPosted: Thu August 19, 2021 11:50 am 
Mind Your Tanners

numbers wrote:
Will be 4th very soon.
Yup.
I told you the swoon was coming.

PostPosted: Mon August 23, 2021 9:08 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Ding dong.

PostPosted: Tue August 24, 2021 10:13 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I have never thought less of a walk off win.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 175  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports