The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158 ... 175  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Fri July 30, 2021 12:17 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Aldo seems like a really high price for a 2-month (hopefully 3-month) rental, but the Sox may be spooked by his elbow. I imagine any other moves they make are going to be guys on the 40 or guys who are Rule 5 eligible this winter. I'd be shocked if they traded someone else in their top 10-15.

PostPosted: Fri July 30, 2021 12:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:
Aldo seems like a really high price for a 2-month (hopefully 3-month) rental, but the Sox may be spooked by his elbow. I imagine any other moves they make are going to be guys on the 40 or guys who are Rule 5 eligible this winter. I'd be shocked if they traded someone else in their top 10-15.

I don't mind what they gave up so much, I think prospect hugging is completely out of control in baseball. It's just that this doesn't really fit a need. We'll see if there's another move today though.

PostPosted: Fri July 30, 2021 12:39 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

numbers wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I don't mind what they gave up so much, I think prospect hugging is completely out of control in baseball. It's just that this doesn't really fit a need. We'll see if there's another move today though.

I think the need was simply "a bat." You're right, they'll probably stick him at 1st against righties and it'll either be fine or a disaster.

PostPosted: Fri July 30, 2021 12:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:
numbers wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I think the need was simply "a bat." You're right, they'll probably stick him at 1st against righties and it'll either be fine or a disaster.

I mean I guess it's possible they move Verdugo to CF, play Schwarber in left, have Duran come off the bench, and acquire another 1B.

PostPosted: Sat July 31, 2021 12:54 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Last night was brutal, not only the performance from everyone, but I was in grandstand 8 with an obstructed view. Gifted tickets so no complaints on the price.

PostPosted: Sat July 31, 2021 12:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

elliseamos wrote:
Yeah. I just think the swoon is coming so they should cash in the pieces they can and plan for next year.

From June 29th.
Chaim's deals seem to reflect this mentality, but he should have gone all in. Yankees getting Gallo & Rizzo is hilarious to me. I'm happy for Gabe Kapler though.

PostPosted: Sat July 31, 2021 3:01 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

He didn’t have to go all in, but they needed a 1B and he blew it. He can talk about the prices, but that means he didn’t read the market right and should have struck a week ago like TB did.

PostPosted: Sun August 01, 2021 1:16 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I still think they've overperformed this season, so it's fine to admit that they're not as good as TB or HOU or CHI.

TOR loaded up, not sure they have the pitching, but what do I care what they do.

Chaim should have sold what he could. There is no reason for Houck to be in the minors.

PostPosted: Sun August 01, 2021 1:20 am 
Poster of the Year

selling at the deadline when you're on pace to win 100 games is a surefire way to lose the fanbase entirely

PostPosted: Sun August 01, 2021 3:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Norris wrote:
selling at the deadline when you're on pace to win 100 games is a surefire way to lose the fanbase entirely

Winning (deeper into the season) next year would bring'em all back.

PostPosted: Sun August 01, 2021 4:54 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

elliseamos wrote:
Why didn't they take Rocker?

"Rocker, 21, whose dominance at Vanderbilt made him the most well-known college player in perhaps a decade, had an agreement in place to sign for $6 million after he slipped down draft boards earlier this month. But the deal fell apart following his physical examination, and multiple sources said they do not expect a revised one to come together before the deadline."

PostPosted: Sun August 01, 2021 5:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I just read that at mlbtraderumors. "The More You Know" literally flew past my house.

PostPosted: Sun August 01, 2021 5:39 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

elliseamos wrote:
I just read that at mlbtraderumors. "The More You Know" literally flew past my house.

It’s also a great “lol the Mets” story since they don’t have anyone else to spend that money on so it just goes down the toilet.

PostPosted: Sun August 01, 2021 6:06 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

It’s also a great “lol the Mets” story since they don’t have anyone else to spend that money on so it just goes down the toilet.

But they'll get the 11th pick next year and not have to pay for his surgery. It's not the worst spot to be in, but it is nice for the Sox to have avoided it and the Mets to have to deal.

PostPosted: Mon August 02, 2021 12:44 am 
Mind Your Tanners

The Sox didn't want the Mets to be the only ones holding an extra ticket this year:

"Second-round pick Jud Fabian won’t be signing with the Red Sox, as a tweet from his personal account more or less (with an assist from Eminem) officially stated he will return to the University of Florida for his senior year. A $1,856,700 slot price is attached to the 40th overall selection, and rumors have circulated that the two sides were a good distance apart in negotiations — The Athletic’s Peter Gammons reported that Fabian could have landed $3MM from two teams that picked later than the Sox in the second round. Due to remaining pool space, MLB Pipeline’s Jim Callis writes that the Sox couldn’t give Fabian more than a $2,100,680 bonus without having to surrender a future first-round pick as punishment for exceeding their pool spending by more than five percent. The Red Sox will receive the 41st overall selection in next year’s draft as compensation for not signing Fabian." -mlbtraderumors

PostPosted: Mon August 02, 2021 11:43 am 
Mind Your Tanners

elliseamos wrote:
Norris wrote:

Not really, the team's improvement this year hasn't resulted in any higher ratings or better attendance. The pink hats and casuals are gone now it's back to just the die-hards from the 90s.

PostPosted: Mon August 02, 2021 11:59 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

Triston Casas just hit his 2nd HR in as many games for Team USA the lead over Japan. USA #1!

PostPosted: Mon August 02, 2021 12:03 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Simple Torture wrote:
Triston Casas just hit his 2nd HR in as many games for Team USA the lead over Japan. USA #1!

Ding dong.

PostPosted: Mon August 02, 2021 12:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

Ding dong.

Cant wait to leave him in AAA to steal a year of free agency from him and then trade him to the Dodgers in 5 years!

PostPosted: Mon August 02, 2021 3:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

numbers wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Norris wrote:

Not really, the team's improvement this year hasn't resulted in any higher ratings or better attendance. The pink hats and casuals are gone now it's back to just the die-hards from the 90s.

I think that's an overall baseball problem, but if we're talking about that than my point is even stronger. Create a better product for the baseball revival, not the here and now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 152, 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158 ... 175  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports