The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241 ... 264  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cops Are The Worst
PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 3:12 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Rob wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Still not hearing any solutions from the pampered white guys with high cholesterol.

Wrong. You’re just whining.

Plenty of us have advocated for better pay, universal healthcare, ending the war on drugs, better conditions in general…

We had a pandemic that turned life on its head for a bit, crime went up… you call out others for a lack of a solution when clearly you just wanna troll people.

It’s fine with me, I will always respond because this place is actually stress relief for me, but I just hope you aren’t kidding yourself in real life. :heartbeat:

Murder seems like a pretty irrational crime that has no impact on the offender's material condition. If you're talking property crime, then SES factors in more directly.

In many localities the war on drugs is effectively nullified. I don't think many of the murders in my area are about the drug trade. The central Americans that have cornered the heroin / fentanyl market are remarkably peaceful.

Honor culture bullshit seems more relevant to most run of the mill murders. Harder nut to crack, granted.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 3:26 am 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
Still not hearing any solutions from the pampered white guys with high cholesterol.

Is this to say that what we've done to this point has been working and should just keep things the same?

The solutions are in a number of different threads, Mr. Trust. You just don't like the answers.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 3:59 am 
Gone

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WAVE) - Louisville Metro is on pace for its deadliest month in what could be its deadliest year ever.

In the first 20 days in June, 21 people died violently.

As the bloodshed accelerates, according to weekly homicide reports from LMPD, fewer than one-third of homicide cases have been solved.

Research from the Pegasus Institute, a Louisville-based public policy think tank, shows the city stands out among larger cities and some of its peer cities for its level of violence.

“Cities all over the country are experiencing these increases in violent crime,” Pegasus Institute Executive Director Josh Crawford said. “They have been since 2015. But Louisville is unique among large cities, among medium cities and among many of the cities that we compare ourselves to, in that we continue to have our deadliest year on record.

COVID WAS IN LOUISVILLE SINCE 2015 CONFIRMED!!

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 4:01 am 
Gone

elliseamos wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Is this to say that what we've done to this point has been working and should just keep things the same?

The solutions are in a number of different threads, Mr. Trust. You just don't like the answers.

I can't believe policy makers haven't thought to consult the woke circle jerk on RM for the clear solutions to these problems.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 4:23 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I can't believe policy makers haven't thought to consult the woke circle jerk on RM for the clear solutions to these problems.

They had criminals in the Soviet Union, they just repurposed them to be enforcers in the gulag system.

Maybe the Soviet Union just wasn't meeting their material needs sufficiently?

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 10:41 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I would think the mere existence of your account (and others) would inspire a better conversation, but like many things I'm clearly wrong.

So let's just rewind things to the glory days of nonviolence: 2014.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 12:09 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:
I would think the mere existence of your account (and others) would inspire a better conversation, but like many things I'm clearly wrong.

I think it's just that it's frustratingly disingenuous to pretend that surging violent crime in many places can be mapped back to the pandemic without taking into account the dramatic changes in the perception of police and how policing is done on the streets. We did not see property crime surging in 2020 into early 2021, we saw violent crime surging. This is an important distinction if you believe the answer is driven largely by economics and not the ongoing attempt at shredding the social contract.

It's not ironic at all that in the discussion of Buckhead and Atlanta, that this happened:

Quote:
One year ago this month, protests filled the city’s streets daily after the police killings of George Floyd in Minneapolis and, less than three weeks later, Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta. Pushing for changes to Atlanta’s police budget, over a thousand residents sent comments into the City Council — so many that the recordings had to be played over two days.

Facing a June 30 deadline to pass the budget, the City Council discussed temporarily withholding $73 million of the Atlanta Police Department’s budget while the city considered changes to the way it polices. The effort failed on an 8-7 vote.

This year, the day the council voted on the budget, there were less than two hours of comments from the public. The council passed the budget unanimously, and rather than withholding funding from police, the city increased the department’s budget by 7% to over $230 million, a $15 million increase that represented the biggest boost awarded to any department.

The discussions at City Hall over this year’s budget, which followed a citywide rise in violent crime, highlight how the discourse over policing has shifted in the last year, among elected officials and some members of the public.

Also, and I am a touch hesitent to post this, but the "it's not that big an increase" line of thought sounds an awful lot like you're suggesting that there is some acceptable level of victimization that one demographic group should be forced to put of with because feelings.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 2:27 pm 
Future Drummer

Many of us spent our 20s and most of our 30s living during a period of time with relatively low violence. At some point it begins to tick up (as do rates of drug/alcohol abuse), and then we get a pandemic which worsens it. We can debate the causes and solutions, but we can’t debate whether or not it’s been debated here. It has. Verb goes after people because he perceives them as snowflake types without realizing he’s the whiniest one here.

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 3:15 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

B wrote:

I'm suggesting that as soon as it isn't addressed the way white people want it addressed in the time frame they want it addressed, the flee. And it's not like they're going to build a wall to address crime. They're going to hunt down every black kid with a loud radio that drives through Buckhead and harrass him and put him in danger for his life.

This is a warped viewpoint that has little basis in reality.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 3:23 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 8:20 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

BurtReynolds wrote:
B wrote:

I'm suggesting that as soon as it isn't addressed the way white people want it addressed in the time frame they want it addressed, the flee. And it's not like they're going to build a wall to address crime. They're going to hunt down every black kid with a loud radio that drives through Buckhead and harrass him and put him in danger for his life.

This is a warped viewpoint that has little basis in reality.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3441

PostPosted: Tue June 22, 2021 11:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

I think it's just that it's frustratingly disingenuous to pretend that surging violent crime in many places can be mapped back to the pandemic without taking into account the dramatic changes in the perception of police and how policing is done on the streets. We did not see property crime surging in 2020 into early 2021, we saw violent crime surging. This is an important distinction if you believe the answer is driven largely by economics and not the ongoing attempt at shredding the social contract.

It's not ironic at all that in the discussion of Buckhead and Atlanta, that this happened:

Quote:
One year ago this month, protests filled the city’s streets daily after the police killings of George Floyd in Minneapolis and, less than three weeks later, Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta. Pushing for changes to Atlanta’s police budget, over a thousand residents sent comments into the City Council — so many that the recordings had to be played over two days.

Facing a June 30 deadline to pass the budget, the City Council discussed temporarily withholding $73 million of the Atlanta Police Department’s budget while the city considered changes to the way it polices. The effort failed on an 8-7 vote.

This year, the day the council voted on the budget, there were less than two hours of comments from the public. The council passed the budget unanimously, and rather than withholding funding from police, the city increased the department’s budget by 7% to over $230 million, a $15 million increase that represented the biggest boost awarded to any department.

The discussions at City Hall over this year’s budget, which followed a citywide rise in violent crime, highlight how the discourse over policing has shifted in the last year, among elected officials and some members of the public.

Also, and I am a touch hesitent to post this, but the "it's not that big an increase" line of thought sounds an awful lot like you're suggesting that there is some acceptable level of victimization that one demographic group should be forced to put of with because feelings.

But doesn't that just demonstrate attention spans? People were motivated and interested and stuck at home to the point that they took time to send in comments which almost altered the budget. It didn't, it almost did. This year, people are less motivated and busier, so it passed without a question/comment.

I'm failing to see how it supports anything to do with violent crime increases.

PostPosted: Wed June 23, 2021 4:00 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

There was some BLM adjacent group that released a 10 point policy proposal that was pretty reasonable at some point last summer. At this rate, I despair of even revoking qualified immunity. Any hope of real reform has been dashed, it would seem. Some departments will see funding cuts, sure, but no real damage to the structures that protect shitty cops.

PostPosted: Wed June 23, 2021 1:39 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

elliseamos wrote:

<snip>

But doesn't that just demonstrate attention spans? People were motivated and interested and stuck at home to the point that they took time to send in comments which almost altered the budget. It didn't, it almost did. This year, people are less motivated and busier, so it passed without a question/comment.

If by 'attention spans' you mean the social capital gained from this particular type of virtual signalling has diminished to the point that no one really cares anymore, maybe that does explain the change in the volume of citizen comments. But, perhaps another read of the situation is that over the course of the last year both politicians and humans looked at the on-the-ground data (not the 24/7 replaying of the Floyd murder vid on CNN) and realized what actually happens when you do the things that activists are demanding. Policy changes like abstaining from prosecuting violent protestors and bail reform, and behavioral changes like less proactive policing driven by officer fear of becoming the next viral sensation are a direct result of compliance with activist demands and we are now seeing the price in dead, primarily black and brown, people.

PostPosted: Wed June 23, 2021 11:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Bi_3 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

<snip>

If by 'attention spans' you mean the social capital gained from this particular type of virtual signalling has diminished to the point that no one really cares anymore, maybe that does explain the change in the volume of citizen comments. But, perhaps another read of the situation is that over the course of the last year both politicians and humans looked at the on-the-ground data (not the 24/7 replaying of the Floyd murder vid on CNN) and realized what actually happens when you do the things that activists are demanding. Policy changes like abstaining from prosecuting violent protestors and bail reform, and behavioral changes like less proactive policing driven by officer fear of becoming the next viral sensation are a direct result of compliance with activist demands and we are now seeing the price in dead, primarily black and brown, people.

Wait, I thought the argument against reforms was that black people were killing each other in greater numbers than cops.

But now reforms are the reason?

I think I'm actually getting pushed further in the direction of getting rid of all cops. Seems like the old extortion game plan in action again. ACAB.

PostPosted: Thu July 01, 2021 10:11 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Regarding the LAPD initiated firework explosion:

PostPosted: Fri July 02, 2021 4:17 pm 
Gone

PostPosted: Fri July 02, 2021 4:24 pm 
Future Drummer

macphisto wrote:

Yea, but it’s quite literally a cop’s job to uphold (therefore obey) the law.

PostPosted: Fri July 02, 2021 4:33 pm 
Gone

Rob wrote:
macphisto wrote:

Yea, but it’s quite literally a cop’s job to uphold (therefore obey) the law.

PostPosted: Fri July 02, 2021 5:02 pm 
Future Drummer

This should make the ACAB crowd's day.

Toronto officer dead after being struck by vehicle in 'intentional and deliberate act,'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-officer-killed-1.6087950

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5262 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241 ... 264  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate