The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 127  Next
 Post subject: Re: RANK THE ALBUMS
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:47 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I absolutely love the fact that among collectors, there are probably no 2 PJ collections out there that are identical. :P

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 1:04 am 
Future Drummer

epilogue wrote:
To be clear, my saying I don't understand that approach (live versions making an album better) was not a value judgement. I hope no one thinks I'm saying that experience is stupid or wrong or weird or anything like that. Apologies if that came through.

I simply meant to say that it's different than my way of experiencing the music and being that it's a foreign approach/concept to me, I simply don't understand how it works for y'all. Literally, I don't think I'll ever understand it -- not because it's wrong and my way is better or anything, but because I can't wrap my head around how it works for you since it doesn't work for me.

However, I can appreciate the approach. It just doesn't work for me. And I've tried. This obviously isn't the first time this kind of thing has come up. Again, I apologize if what I said came off as condescending or snooty or judgmental. That was not at all what I was trying to say.

I totally respect where y'all are coming from and I wish I was able to access what you're talking about. It sounds like a pretty great way to engage with an artist.

Nah, you're good. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 3:18 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Spent the last couple of months revisiting all of Pearl Jam's albums. It's been a lot of fun. But I think my rankings have shifted quite a bit.

1. Vitalogy
2. Riot Act
3. Ten
4. No Code
5. Binaural
6. Yield
7. Gigaton
8. Vs
9. S/T
10. Lightning Bolt
11. Backspacer

Binaural is the biggest jump. The last time I ranked them I had it at #8. No Code and Binaural both jumped Yield, which knocked that album from #4 to #6.

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 3:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Binaural used to be such an odd (often frustrating) and confusing listening experience for me. For years, I just could not quite get a handle on that record. Even though it has a few of my all time favorite Pearl Jam songs (Insignificance, Sleight of Hand, Nothing As It Seems, Thin Air), for some reason the album as a whole always felt uncomfortable.

But over the last few weeks I find myself reaching for it more and more because I just flat enjoy it. Listening to the record feels good and brings me a lot of joy.

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 3:24 pm 
The Master

Have you spent much time with the deluxe version? It slays, largely due to the long mid-tempo sequencing in the middle of the album. Sets an entirely different mood and really lets it settle in.

PostPosted: Sat September 18, 2021 3:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
Have you spent much time with the deluxe version? It slays, largely due to the long mid-tempo sequencing in the middle of the album. Sets an entirely different mood and really lets it settle in.

Nah. Just the released versions. I've been listening almost exclusively on vinyl for this "project."

PostPosted: Sun September 19, 2021 5:57 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Joseph, Binaural rules. I’m glad you are really finding it. Once you do really find it, gets in deep. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sun September 26, 2021 10:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Listening to Riot Act again... It's better than Vitalogy. So why is it so difficult for me to rank it #1?

PostPosted: Mon September 27, 2021 12:00 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

epilogue wrote:
Listening to Riot Act again... It's better than Vitalogy. So why is it so difficult for me to rank it #1?

I love Riot Act and all but still prefer Vitalogy. I weirdly haven’t heard any Pearl Jam albums in a while. I was listening to the Oakland ‘13 show recently though.

Edit: not sure what I was getting at there other than I have been listening to them but not albums I guess. Either way, both albums are great albums.

PostPosted: Mon September 27, 2021 12:15 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Also, I think I like Gigaton more than Yield

PostPosted: Mon September 27, 2021 12:43 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

epilogue wrote:

Wow. I mean I love Gigaton but Yield’s so very close to the top - some days the top for me. I do wish that Pearl Jam can do more albums and songs that take you on a journey like Gigaton does for me. I actually noted on Saturday how much I liked that they played 20 songs in 2 hours which is stretching for them. They could have easily busted out 26 in that time but they really gave their songs the proper space and time…(and Eddie talked a lot!)…

That being said, Yield’s use of Ishmael as an almost hidden concept in there, the strength of the songs, it’s just nearly impossible to beat.

PostPosted: Mon September 27, 2021 12:47 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

See above. I have them back to back. And I think I need to flip then.

PostPosted: Mon September 27, 2021 1:01 am 
Rank This Poster

Yield is just so bright sounding to me, it's too much sometimes.

PostPosted: Mon September 27, 2021 11:41 am 
The worst

liebzz wrote:
epilogue wrote:

Wow. I mean I love Gigaton but Yield’s so very close to the top - some days the top for me. I do wish that Pearl Jam can do more albums and songs that take you on a journey like Gigaton does for me. I actually noted on Saturday how much I liked that they played 20 songs in 2 hours which is stretching for them. They could have easily busted out 26 in that time but they really gave their songs the proper space and time…(and Eddie talked a lot!)…

That being said, Yield’s use of Ishmael as an almost hidden concept in there, the strength of the songs, it’s just nearly impossible to beat.

other than a few songs I think the ishmael influence yield isnt really present - although there are thematic elements throught their music that resonate with Ishmael. I never did a deep lyrical dive into yield as an album though, so maybe its more present then I think

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon September 27, 2021 11:42 am 
The worst

As ideas/thematically, I like No Code, Riot Act and Binaural more than I rank them. They ate albums I enjoy thinking about more than listening to (which sounds harsher than intended. I still think all three are quite good

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon September 27, 2021 11:51 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

stip wrote:
liebzz wrote:
epilogue wrote:

other than a few songs I think the ishmael influence yield isnt really present - although there are thematic elements throught their music that resonate with Ishmael. I never did a deep lyrical dive into yield as an album though, so maybe its more present then I think

I would say I detect the influence in Faithfull, Given to Fly, and Do the Evolution off the top of my head and could probably stretch it to some other songs.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 8:09 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Gigaton breaks the trend :)

Riot Act
Binaural
Yield
No Code
Vitalogy

Vs

Ten/Gigaton
Avocado

Backspacer

Lightnin' Bowlt

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 1:30 pm 
AnalLog

coptheriotact wrote:
Gigaton breaks the trend :)

Yup...a year and a half in, i think that's more than enough time to definitevely say Gigaton broke the trend!

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:20 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

vitalogy
vs
yield
ten
no code
binaural
self-titled
gigaton
riot act
lightning bolt
backspacer

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 2:28 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

these days

1.No Code
2.Vs
3.Gigaton
4.Ten
5.Yield
6.Binaural
7.ST
8.Vitalogy
9.Riot Act
10.Backspacer
11.LB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2534 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117 ... 127  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam