The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Star Trek: Picard
PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 5:26 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

durdencommatyler wrote:
bada wrote:
I'm thinking about how to reply. I could go on and on about everything wrong with the finale but....you love it....so why would I try to convince you otherwise. I'm glad you loved it buddy!

Go for it! I'd love to hear your thoughts. I won't take it personally or see it as you trying to undermine my joy. What were you gonna say?

Here's some random thoughts I wrote about the season a couple pages back that you prob missed.

Spoiler: show
The Romulans are unable to relocate its people without help. They are a stand ins for refugees in real life I guess??? Except the Romulan Star Empire is even more advanced than Starfleet and it's more like if America were asking help from Mexico or Syria not the other way around. Still Starfleet is gonna help!

Then the Romulans decide to frame synths for the destruction of the shipyards because its double secret police hate synths. The Romulans believe synths will bring about the end of all biological life because of a message left from an ancient civilization. This HAPPENED in the past and that super evolved synth race is just waiting to find more synths and kill all biological life again. The super double secret Romulans never cared about Data during TNG but....ok. No thought to maybe framing the synths after Starfleet helps with the evacuation? It's all Starfleet's fault anyways because ???

Starfleet bans synths and don't follow through on saving the Romulans. Picard quits. We meet a group of Romulans Picard saved and they are super pissed because he didn't do enough for them besides saving their lives. They sit around a planet full of resources and with the technology for a planetary defense shield in a bar with nothing to do because Picard abandoned them. No talk of you know where is the ROMULAN STAR EMPIRE GOVERNMENT! This after several scenes of people telling Picard to stfu and he is a bad guy because he's???....mansplaining too much and needs to check his saved the day countless times privilege???? Starfleet and Picard bad.

Too reinforce how bad Starfleet is for banning synths we meet Riker and Troi whose son died because the ban on synths meant he couldn't get a cure for a disease that could be fixed from synth [technobabble]. We are supposed to believe that Riker and Troi and all their friends from TNG accepted this ban and let the kid die. No getting the band back together to track Data parts or find any of the synth scientist that disappeared after the ban. Nope sorry kid you dead. Picard was too busy with his grapes. Riker had pizza to make! All this to reinforce Starfleet was bad for not helping the Romulans and bad for banning synths.

So after several episodes of Seven of Nine and warrior monk buddy killing everyone they meet (no setting phasers to stun in Nu Trek) Picard saves Data's "daughter" and gets her back home. She immediately sets a beacon to bring the super evolved synths to kill everybody....not just the Romulans....or the Federation....or Riker and Troi and their daughter who took her in a couple episodes before at great personal risk and who she appeared to bond with....but every living thing EVERYWHERE has gotta go. :shock: So the Romulans were right!? No WRONG!!!!! because she changes her mind after Picard gets himself killed trying to save her and turns off the beacon closing a portal cutting off robot Cthulhu. Except the super evolved Cthulhu knows where we are now. The genie is out of the bottle but whatevs the Romulans and Starfleet agree that it will all workout and go home. The synth ban is lifted and we just hope none of them every get mad and call their big brothers with the tentacles. Even though they were all for it a minute ago.

Then we get golem Picard reconstructed from his memories. I suppose they could have done the same for Data but he wants to die to be more human. Not 100 years from now right NOW. Further adventures from golem (still old) Picard and his crew of uninteresting killers next year.

PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 6:18 pm 
Major Dude

wease wrote:
bada wrote:

Spoiler: show
The Romulans are unable to relocate its people without help. They are a stand ins for refugees in real life I guess??? Except the Romulan Star Empire is even more advanced than Starfleet and it's more like if Americans were asking help from Mexico. Starfleet is gonna help!

Then the Romulans decide to frame synths for the destruction of the shipyards because its double secret police hate synths. The Romulans believe synths will bring about the end of all biological life because of a message left from an ancient civilization. This HAPPENED in the past and that super evolved synth race is just waiting to find more synths and kill all biological life. The super double secret Romulans never cared about Data during TNG but....ok. No thought to maybe framing the synths after Starfleet helps with the evacuation? It's all Starfleet's fault anyways because ???

Starfleet bans synths and don't follow through on saving the Romulans. Picard quits. We meet a group of Romulans Picard saved and they are super pissed because he didn't do enough for them besides saving their lives. They sit around a planet full of resources and with the technology for a planetary defense shield and weapons system in a bar with nothing to do because Picard abandoned them. No talk of you know where is the ROMULAN STAR EMPIRE GOVERNMENT! This after several scenes of people telling Picard to stfu and he is a bad guy because he's....mansplaining too much and needs to check his saved the day countless times privilege? Starfleet and Picard bad.

Too reinforce how bad Starfleet is for banning synths we meet Riker and Troi whose son died because the ban on synths meant he couldn't get a cure for a disease that could be fixed from synth [technobabble]. We are supposed to believe that Riker and Troi and all their friends from TNG accepted this ban and let the kid die. No getting the band back together to track Data parts or find any of the synth scientist that disappeared after the ban. Nope sorry kid you dead. Picard was too busy with his grapes. Riker had pizza to make! All this to reinforce Starfleet was bad for not helping the Romulans and bad for banning synths.

So after several episodes of Seven of Nine and warrior monk buddy killing everyone they meet (no setting phasers to stun in Nu Trek) Picard saves Data's "daughter" and gets her back home. She immediately sets a beacon to bring the super evolved synths to kill everybody. :shock: So the Romulans were right!? No WRONG!!!!! because she changes her mind after Picard gets himself killed trying to save her and turns off the beacon closing a portal cutting off robot Cthulhu. Except the super evolved Cthulhu knows where we are now. The genie is out of the bottle but whatevs the Romulans and Starfleet agree that it will all workout and go home. The synth ban is lifted and we just hope none of them every get mad and call their big brothers with the tentacles.

Then we get golem Picard reconstructed from his memories. I suppose they could have done the same for Data but he wants to die to be more human. Not 100 years from now right NOW. Further adventures from golem (still old) Picard and his crew of uninteresting killers next year.

You left out the out-of-nowhere budding romance between Raffi and 7of 9.

PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 7:05 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I did see that post. It doesn't really address what I thought we were taking about. But thanks for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 7:12 pm 

Outside of the Data stuff tugging at the heartstrings what about the finale encompassed the best of Star Trek?

PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 8:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bada wrote:
Outside of the Data stuff tugging at the heartstrings what about the finale encompassed the best of Star Trek?

Start Trek at it's best has always been about questioning and testing humanity. The finale expertly handles that theme and delivered on subsequent themes of choice, family, sacrifice and trust -- all key components to Star Trek and to what makes up there best of humanity.

Picard suffers from tropes, sure. The same tropes all of ST suffers from. There are plot holes. Because Star Trek. There is on the nose dialogue, stuff performances (though thank god Alison Pill is here this time so Patrick Stewart doesn't have to do so the heavy lifting alone), some things are rushed. Fine. That stuff isn't as interesting to me as the characters and the themes. And the characters are great, on balance.

Picard got all the important stuff right. It never felt manipulative or cheap. It didn't feel like some cynical moneygrab or nostalgia exploitation. It felt like a pure and respectful examination of one of the franchise's best characters in a new era, from a perspective that honors the key themes -- in other words, the best elements -- of the franchise.

PostPosted: Sat April 11, 2020 8:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Having said all of that, the weird Deus ex imagination tool was fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Fri April 17, 2020 4:50 am 
Mind Your Tanners

THIS

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:58 pm 

If you don't want to spend the time watching the entire thing the last 5-6 mins sums it up perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:32 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

bada wrote:

If you don't want to spend the time watching the entire thing the last 5-6 mins sums it up perfectly.

Wow. It really does.

PostPosted: Mon April 05, 2021 7:13 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Holy shit yes

PostPosted: Mon April 05, 2021 7:30 pm 

Shit I fucking hated Picard but Q....fuck now I'm in again. It'll be bad....they'll ruin Q but I gotta give it a try.

PostPosted: Mon April 05, 2021 7:31 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

bada wrote:
Shit I fucking hated Picard but Q....fuck now I'm in again. It'll be bad....they'll ruin Q but I gotta give it a try.

Like a battered wife.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon April 05, 2021 7:32 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I trust them. Even if it’s bad DeLancy as Q is just fantastic to watch. And his chemistry with Stewart was always so great.

PostPosted: Mon April 05, 2021 7:36 pm 

There is nothing I've seen from Star Trek since 2009 that instills trust.

PostPosted: Mon April 05, 2021 7:52 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Not touching any of this until Bad Robot is out of the picture completely, but I've heard vague rumors that they've basically locked Alex Kurtzman out until they can get rid of him. One can hope.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon April 05, 2021 8:24 pm 

I'll believe it when I see it. He's got pictures of somebody doing something.

PostPosted: Mon April 05, 2021 10:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Mon April 05, 2021 11:07 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Well as the one guy who loved Picard S1, you can only imagine the size of the shit in my pants right now.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 1:58 am 
Major Dude

S1 had a lot of problems, but overall I enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Tue April 06, 2021 7:35 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Q is a bit problematic to me. The actor did a good job in TNG, and it did result in a couple of cool episodes, but his power just seems too much for a show like Star Trek.

As for Picard s1, it was a disappointment.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 363 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 19  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment