The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 153  Next

Superblood Wolfmoon
5 Stars: Gigaton is gonna be fucking amazing 12%  12%  [ 29 ]
4 Stars: I'll keep staying up for these, even though I have to get my ass up for work tomorrow 39%  39%  [ 96 ]
3 Stars: It's no DotC 33%  33%  [ 83 ]
2 Stars: Good night 11%  11%  [ 27 ]
1 Star: Pearl Jam sucks 6%  6%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 249
 Post subject: Re: Superblood Wolfmoon
PostPosted: Mon December 21, 2020 2:45 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

epilogue wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
epilogue wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Higgs wrote:
epilogue wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
such a good song

:heartbeat:

My people.

See that LMS, our table sits FOUR. :heartbeat:

A fine table you have here too. All subject to lapses of taste though. And lapses in counting.

I was including Strat (which I think you know)... still... well played.

If strat can't make it I'll join the table

Huzzah!

Just let me know ASAP so I can make other plans if it doesn't work out

PostPosted: Mon December 21, 2020 4:20 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

JuanHamm wrote:
epilogue wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
epilogue wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Higgs wrote:
epilogue wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
such a good song

:heartbeat:

My people.

See that LMS, our table sits FOUR. :heartbeat:

A fine table you have here too. All subject to lapses of taste though. And lapses in counting.

I was including Strat (which I think you know)... still... well played.

If strat can't make it I'll join the table

Huzzah!

Just let me know ASAP so I can make other plans if it doesn't work out

We can s seat. You're in either way!

PostPosted: Wed December 23, 2020 9:40 am 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
When I first heard this song, it absolutely demolished the positive outlook I had for the rest of the album after the excitement around Dance of the Clairvoyants. It was a violent crash back to reality.

What he said

PostPosted: Wed December 23, 2020 2:27 pm 
She / Her

Got Some wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I like this song fine. Works better in the context of the album than as a standalone song. Still a weird choice for the second single.

Agreed Weird choice for 2nd single. I certainly do Love this one.

“love not withstanding we are each of us fucked”

Such a cool line.

The intro and the first verse are the weakest part of the song.

Then it kind of goes into overdrive.

the "she was a stunner, and I am stunned" verse is worse than verse 1

PostPosted: Wed December 23, 2020 4:25 pm 
tl;dr

I've done a complete 180 on this one -- I thought it was an abject failure when it was released initially but it's one of my favorite songs on the album now. Completely contrary to intuition the EV rockers on this album just keep sounding better, where the more meandering pieces that I typically fall hard for (i.e. "Alright," "Seven O'Clock," "Retrograde") have become the low points of the record for me.

PostPosted: Tue March 30, 2021 4:31 am 
Rank This Poster

I'm moving this one to 5 stars. How are there still people that don't like this song?

PostPosted: Tue March 30, 2021 10:54 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Superblood Wolfmoon is awesome. For a quick rocker, it’s got tons of misdirection and space for interpretation. It seems straight forward but it isn’t at all. Actual kind of new ground for Pearl Jam.

PostPosted: Thu April 01, 2021 4:52 pm 
AnalLog

Really didn't like this one on the first listen, but I'm fully into it now -- even the "she was a stunner" line. ;)

PostPosted: Thu April 01, 2021 5:27 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
Superblood Wolfmoon is awesome. For a quick rocker, it’s got tons of misdirection and space for interpretation. It seems straight forward but it isn’t at all. Actual kind of new ground for Pearl Jam.

I think others have mentioned it, but this feels kind of like the Backspacer sound fully realized.

PostPosted: Thu April 01, 2021 5:43 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

RockPusher wrote:
liebzz wrote:

I think others have mentioned it, but this feels kind of like the Backspacer sound fully realized.

I think it is more than that. The Pearl Jam that released Backspacer wasn’t in the game for nuance or for any surprises - it was about being as straight forward as possible. SBWM is full of surprises. Taking the approach of sort of rearranging the pieces to a song to come up with something unique would never have even been on their radar then.

PostPosted: Thu April 01, 2021 9:26 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

PHATJ wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
I’ve listened once. I’m a bit befuddled, but the last minute or two had me fucking grooving. This is a confusing song, and my gut says that’s actually a very good sign for Gigaton. I don’t want to hear PJ do something they’ve done before. We’ve had that forever. This sounds different. It’s kinda dirty. I love some of the guitar tones in the riff. I’m really uncertain how I will feel about this song in another month or two. Hell, I’m interested to know what it will sound like on second listen. Here goes...

After my second listen....

Guys, this song is fucking awesome. I’m totally into it.

Have fun hating :lol:

Third time’s the charm. This song is groovy. I’m stoked for Gigaton, it feels like it could go anywhere. That’s an incredibly fun and renewed spirit I haven’t felt about PJ in about 15 years. This is fun again. :hooray:

Fourth time confirmed. This is one that a lot of you guys will come around on I think.

These are my reaction posts after my first few listens last year.

PostPosted: Thu April 01, 2021 9:40 pm 

Jorge wrote:
This embarrassment of a song sounds sounds like if someone chopped up pieces of a Jet track and stuck them back together haphazardly

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu April 01, 2021 9:43 pm 

Jorge wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
Anders wrote:
Get Right - not a fan of this song when it came, but compared to modern Pearl Jam, it's a solid song. I get the comparison to SBWM.
All Night - this is fantastic. Don't hear any SBWM here.
Johnny Guitar - gets better every year, great for modern Pearl Jam. SBWM has a similar feel to it.
Black, Red, Yellow - this is the song LTRP wish it was. No SBWM here.
Olë - poor Ed performance. Song sounds rushed, like a poor version of MYM. No SBWM here.
Supersonic - not hearing SBWM here. Song is too frantic. Good melody gets crushed by the band and some poor lyrics. A shame.
Hitchiker - another LTRP/BRY-ish song. Kind of rolls and boogies. Ed has a very distinct vocal. Typical of the times it was made, yet I can see how his delivery can be compared to SBWM.
Leatherman - one of the worst Pearl Jam songs. No SBWM here.
Superblood Wolfmoon - better than most of the songs above.

I like Leatherman

No joke, I think I would take every single one of those songs over "Superblood Wolfmoon", which just seems ineptly written to me

The only one that gives me pause is "Supersonic"

:lol: :shake: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu April 01, 2021 9:47 pm 

Jorge wrote:
Strat wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:
The song just feels so incoherent. Not like, "Wow, this is unrestrained freedom letting itself loose on record," but like, "This person has no instinct for how to form a cohesive melody or song structure." I feel like it starts off promising with this almost 50's-surf-rock sounding chord progression, like maybe this is going to be an enjoyable minor track, but it quickly descends into this disorganized clutter of musical nonsense.

I hate to say it, but this is where an actual producer might've come in handy. Reel this mess of a song in a little.

Ugh. Absolutely not. If this was "reeled" in then it would definitely be generic as fuck. The mess of it is the exciting part about it.

Okay but it is a mess and also really bad

:haha: :haha: :haha: Terrible hot takes everywhere!

PostPosted: Fri April 02, 2021 12:26 am 
The Master

Also this song isn't that CRAZY. there are basically only two parts to the song but i still love how it weaves in and out of itself.

What a ripper!

PostPosted: Fri April 02, 2021 12:32 am 
The worst

The run of the first 3 songs on Gigaton is up there with my favorite three song sequences.

Alive-Why Go-Black
Why Go-Black-Jeremy
Go-Animal-Daughter
Not For You - Tremor Christ- Nothingman
Life Wasted- World Wide Suicide - Comatose
Who Ever Said - Superblood Wolfmoon - Dance...

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 02, 2021 12:33 am 
The worst

Strat wrote:
Also this song isn't that CRAZY. there are basically only two parts to the song but i still love how it weaves in and out of itself.

What a ripper!

it's not crazy, but it is unexpected and surprising since it presents as all surface in the way these songs often do/are. But there are layers and dynamics to this, and some of the better lyrics/more interesting themes for these kind of fast paced, seemingly upbeat, pop-punk influenced songs

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 02, 2021 12:39 am 
The Master

stip wrote:
Strat wrote:

What a ripper!

it's not crazy, but it is unexpected and surprising since it presents as all surface in the way these songs often do/are. But there are layers and dynamics to this, and some of the better lyrics/more interesting themes for these kind of fast paced, seemingly upbeat, pop-punk influenced songs

Im talking strictly music and melody. Not lyrics.

There are exactly two parts to the song and the melodies match up with each part every time. The conversation above was rather how it needed an editor of sorts. The song is structured quite simply.

I thought it was whacky too when it first came out, but once learning the song, there's really not much to it other than being wonderful.

PostPosted: Fri April 02, 2021 12:43 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

PHATJ wrote:
Jorge wrote:
This embarrassment of a song sounds sounds like if someone chopped up pieces of a Jet track and stuck them back together haphazardly

:lol:

Still accurate, this song is trash

PostPosted: Fri April 02, 2021 12:55 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Strat wrote:
stip wrote:
Strat wrote:

What a ripper!

Im talking strictly music and melody. Not lyrics.

There are exactly two parts to the song and the melodies match up with each part every time. The conversation above was rather how it needed an editor of sorts. The song is structured quite simply.

I thought it was whacky too when it first came out, but once learning the song, there's really not much to it other than being wonderful.

What you're describing is exactly that, though; it felt "wacky" because your brain was struggling to find a structure to it, but then less so once you listened multiple times. It's like that meme about how, in music, "repetition legitimizes", except not about moments within the song but multiple plays of the same song. You adjusted to it

And that's cool, that's a perfectly legitimate way to enjoy songs that at first feel unwieldy or hard to understand -- certainly the case for me and a lot of my favorites. I just think that this song is really bad

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3059 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 153  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam