The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Release

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Photography
PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 6:54 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

back in the days before the invention of the smartphone, people used to carry around big hunks of plastic, glass and metal with them when they wanted to capture still images of things. this thread is for the pictures taken with those old timey contraptions.

Post subject: Re: Photography
PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 7:03 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

lately i've been working on a study of various pieces of musical equipment that i own. the end result will be a collage in my little home studio. these are a few that i've got so far. the idea was that i wanted them to all to be close-up, almost to the point of macro, with a narrow depth of field. and depending on your familiarity with guitar parts may be a little abstract.

tubes by mike_foster, on Flickr

amplifier worship by mike_foster, on Flickr

guitar pedals & parts by mike_foster, on Flickr

pots by mike_foster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 7:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

:thumbsup: Very cool stuff, MF. I hope to get out with the new G15 sometime this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 1:20 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

turned2black wrote:
:thumbsup: Very cool stuff, MF. I hope to get out with the new G15 sometime this weekend.

thanks.

so you pulled the trigger on the G15 huh? i look forward to seeing what you can do with it. you might find it helpful to pick up an illustrated user guide for your camera. i usually do that whenever i buy a new one. i find them a lot more helpful than the manual that comes with it when i'm trying to learn the camera's features.

http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-Powe ... n+g15+book

you might also find it helpful to get a small non-model specific digital photography "field guide" book that you can stick in your camera bag for when you need to reference different techniques to capture a specific scene.

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 4:07 pm 
$5 Donation Gets Custom Title

mf, I quite like shots one and four above.

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 5:58 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Last edited by nyquillyn on Tue April 01, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 4:33 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

nice. i really like the puddle with the reflection. you seem to dabble a lot in high dynamic range. is that something you do in post-processing with a single image using add-on software, or do you achieve it by bracketing?

PostPosted: Mon January 28, 2013 4:51 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

heres a couple i did last week at a corporate event

T4G Big Data Congress exterior by mike_foster, on Flickr

Joel Plaskett Emergency by mike_foster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 4:11 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Last edited by nyquillyn on Tue April 01, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 4:26 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

mf wrote:
nice. i really like the puddle with the reflection. you seem to dabble a lot in high dynamic range. is that something you do in post-processing with a single image using add-on software, or do you achieve it by bracketing?

:oops: This is the part where I have to tell you that I just set the G15 to the "HDR" setting and snap pictures. I then just bump up the saturation a little and they are generally ready to go.

I took your advice and ordered the David Busch book. I should get it this week. This will be the last week I work 50+ hours, so I'm looking forward to spending more time with my new camera.

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 11:55 am 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

whoa i didn't even know the G15 had that setting. that's awesome.

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 8:03 pm 

I really dislike HDR but a lot of people really seem to dig it.

PostPosted: Tue January 29, 2013 10:19 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

zeb wrote:

I think it has it's place but it can be overdone for sure

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 3:53 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

zeb wrote:

THE MOBILE PHOTOGRAPHY THREAD GETS EVEN MORE TENSE

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 8:01 am 

Haha, no, it's all good. Lots of people enjoy HDR, I just don't really enjoy the harsh oversaturated stuff.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 12:14 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

HDR is like any technique. when used subtly it can be a good tool to bring out detail in a subject. i have the same issue with vignetting and those b&w photos with part of the image masked to leave the color in. color splash i think it's called? actually those color splash photos are beyond redemption but people seem to love them. that's the only explanation i have for why they show up in almost all wedding and family portraits.

in the case of the ones turned2black posted, i think the desert scene with the cacti and sunrise, the puddle reflection, and the curved stretch of highway are all good examples of using HDR to enhance interesting detail without being distracting.

on the flipside you get things like this that look like a trainwreck. it was probably a good picture until someone ran it through an HDR filter cranked to the max.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 2:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Well, I specifically went out to shoot HDR those two days because of the weather we were having. I liked what HDR was doing to the clouds and rain-soaked streets. As you both have said, HDR is probably overdone, but I still like it.
And to be honest, it's not as overdone as blurry, washed out cell phone pics. My 68-year-old mother is now pulling over to take pictures of discarded wood that she then runs through Instagram. That being said, I still enjoy creating and looking at those as well.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 2:43 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

keep it up. it's just art man and it's all subjective. but it's good to learn the technique and even overdo it some so in the future you know when best to apply it. though i don't really think you've overdone it on any of the pictures posted here. once you get that book you ordered learn how to do exposure bracketing with your G15. that is, taking a burst of pictures with different exposure compensation and then composite them and get a feel for the how of HDR. likely your camera has an automatic exposure bracketing setting (AEB) that will shoot a bunch of pictures with different exposure compensations automatically for you.

PostPosted: Sun February 03, 2013 10:36 pm 
Poster of the Year

Getting closer to delving into the DLSR world but I'm looking for a good book that'll teach me things with it.

Anyone have any recommendations? I found this on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0988263408/

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 12:08 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Getting closer to delving into the DLSR world but I'm looking for a good book that'll teach me things with it.

Anyone have any recommendations? I found this on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0988263408/

there's probably a million how-to photography books out there and i don't think i've seen that one before. but i would say that anything that gets you out and shooting and practicing new techniques would be a good investment and that one seems to fit the bill. also, like i mentioned to turned2black you should buy a 3rd party guide specifically for your camera model when you do end up making the purchase. it's an invaluable resource for the day when you're stumped about how to do a certain technique. the user manual tends to be a little dry and technical.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 868 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Release