The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1212, 1213, 1214, 1215, 1216, 1217, 1218 ... 2022  Next
 Post subject: Re: What movies are you watching?
PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2021 9:57 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

mank was nice to look at.. and i always love an oldman.. but there just wasn't enough in the story for me

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2021 10:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

VinylGuy wrote:
I Care A Lot.

Super fun, looks good and has that star called Rosamund Pike. Jesus, she is something else.

Yeah we watched this today and it was great

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 3:24 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I watched Molly's Game yesterday and today because of this thread and I found it to be a terrifically bad movie. It starts out fine, the poker stuff is interesting. But it is super fucking Sorkin-y and very overwritten, and that gets to be pretty grating at a certain point. It just turns into a slog by the end. This should have been a movie about poker and building a business, it's rare that a movie that spends its second half in a courtroom is any good. This doesn't pull it off at all. The magic scene where her dad condenses three years of therapy into three minutes. :throwup: This whole movie says the quiet part out loud with the non-stop voiceover, but this scene just screams the loud part even louder. Why is the movie so convinced that Molly is this righteous character? Did she write this thing herself (and then let Sorkin put it through his Sorkin machine which stopped working about a decade ago and now just Sorkinizes everything it touches into a bloated piece of garbage)? I don't believe a word of it. I was yelling at my TV by the end at Idris Elba to please just let her plead guilty. Encourage the judge to give her the death penalty for subjecting me to this terrible movie.
Passably interesting for about an hour, but after two and a half hours, I'm ready to say that this is one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 3:26 am 
The Master

did you watch the post credit scene? full penetration with elba and chastain

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 5:43 am 
Mind Your Tanners

True Romance.

Loved it. What a beautiful mess of a movie. The fucking steel drum score killed me every time.

Also re-watched Children of Men last night in order to teach it today.

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 12:26 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Scream.
What a masterpiece...one of my favorite movies of all time.
The cast is just so good here. Neve Campbell rules so much...the score, Craven, everything works.
The first sequence is an ll timer and the party with the Halloween score...brillant.

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 2:02 pm 
The Master

Mickey wrote:
True Romance.

Loved it. What a beautiful mess of a movie. The fucking steel drum score killed me every time.

I’m overdue for a rewatch

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 2:06 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

The Argonaut wrote:
I watched Molly's Game yesterday and today because of this thread and I found it to be a terrifically bad movie. It starts out fine, the poker stuff is interesting. But it is super fucking Sorkin-y and very overwritten, and that gets to be pretty grating at a certain point. It just turns into a slog by the end. This should have been a movie about poker and building a business, it's rare that a movie that spends its second half in a courtroom is any good. This doesn't pull it off at all. The magic scene where her dad condenses three years of therapy into three minutes. :throwup: This whole movie says the quiet part out loud with the non-stop voiceover, but this scene just screams the loud part even louder. Why is the movie so convinced that Molly is this righteous character? Did she write this thing herself (and then let Sorkin put it through his Sorkin machine which stopped working about a decade ago and now just Sorkinizes everything it touches into a bloated piece of garbage)? I don't believe a word of it. I was yelling at my TV by the end at Idris Elba to please just let her plead guilty. Encourage the judge to give her the death penalty for subjecting me to this terrible movie.
Passably interesting for about an hour, but after two and a half hours, I'm ready to say that this is one of the worst movies I've seen in a while.
After my second viewing, I understand this perspective but I liked it a lot still. It just hit me at the right moment and I sympathized with her. And yeah.. after some time has passed, I think this could have benefited quite a bit from a better director. Not sure why I was so blown away at first. I was high and hung over...

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 2:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tragabigzanda wrote:
Mickey wrote:
True Romance.

Of which one??

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 2:38 pm 
Future Drummer

The Crazies by George A. Romero
Declaring martial law and forcing the quarantine of an entire town, what could go wrong?

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 2:56 pm 
The Master

Mickey wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Mickey wrote:
True Romance.

Of which one??

Both, but I was talking about TR

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 3:09 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

bateman begins

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 3:45 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

tree_ wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
After my second viewing, I understand this perspective but I liked it a lot still. It just hit me at the right moment and I sympathized with her. And yeah.. after some time has passed, I think this could have benefited quite a bit from a better director. Not sure why I was so blown away at first. I was high and hung over...

I loooooved Molly's Game.
Saw it once in a theatre and blew my mind. Its due for a rewatch tough.

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 3:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

tree_ wrote:
bateman begins

It's called Less Than Zero tree_

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 4:25 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

man that dawson's creek chick really shouldn't be in this movie

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 6:15 pm 
The Master

Mickey wrote:
True Romance.

yes

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 7:37 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Soul was really solid. A gorgeous looking film.

One Night in Miami... was full of fantastic performances, competent and compelling writing, and made me miss theater even more than I already do/did.

Mank was one of the biggest letdowns I've had watching a movie in a long, long time. Maybe ever.

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 7:38 pm 
She / Her

I watched Martha Marcy May Marlene yesterday, for the second time after years of kinda forgetting it existed; I love movies about cults and survival from cults, and this is one of the best - absolutely amazing movie

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 7:42 pm 
The Master

Ms Harmless wrote:
I watched Martha Marcy May Marlene yesterday, for the second time after years of kinda forgetting it existed; I love movies about cults and survival from cults, and this is one of the best - absolutely amazing movie

i though about that one recently...i could go for a rewatch

PostPosted: Wed February 24, 2021 7:45 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

never saw it.. is it streaming anywhere?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1212, 1213, 1214, 1215, 1216, 1217, 1218 ... 2022  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment