The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 71  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nintendo Switch
PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 9:21 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
Anders wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Revelator wrote:
I've had a serious jones to play Mario lately. I've been a Playstation guy probably since the late 90s when the first console debuted (and was still playing N64 at the time). As time went on I pretty much exclusively played PS for the past ~20 years or so.

I haven't played a Mario game since the N64 debut...and I loved every min of it, granted I was obviously much younger. It looks like there's a new mario game coming out this Friday that looks pretty impressive. I'm also considering getting into Breath of the Wild, having never really played a Zelda game before. Guess I'm just looking for something 'different' while Sony works to build the PS5 line up of games.

My question for the panel is, as someone who plays mostly 'mature' games these days (Last of Us, Red Dead, Resident Evil, basically any 3rd person adventure and some light RPG games), should I make the investment in a Switch? The platformers like Mario honestly look amazing and I've heard nothing by positive things about Breath of the Wild.

Are there any other game recommendations for the Switch beyond Mario and Zelda? Looks like a mostly kid-friendly line up and I'm not into multiplayer, microtrans type games like Fortnite, which has really been the reason I've never considered buying one. The game line up just didn't seem to entice me.

Looking to fill that empty spot on my entertainment center where the PS4 used to sit. Still have no real interest in an Xbox...

The core gameplay of pretty much every core Nintendo release is top notch, with systems that could work with any aesthetic. Mario and Zelda work for new players and old.

Just so you know, an OLD Mario game comes out on Friday - Super Mario 3D World. Odyssey is the most modern Mario.

Correct, though both are excellent.

Look forward to playing it. Is it like Galaxy and Odyssey? Can you rank the three?

IMO, Galaxy 2, Odyssey, Galaxy 1, SM3DW.

That's how I would rank them too, but that speaks to the greatness of the others games more so than 3D World's faults. Bowser's Fury content being the unknown here.

PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 9:38 pm 
Champion of RM

Revelator wrote:
Are there any other game recommendations for the Switch beyond Mario and Zelda? Looks like a mostly kid-friendly line up and I'm not into multiplayer, microtrans type games like Fortnite, which has really been the reason I've never considered buying one. The game line up just didn't seem to entice me.

Since it sounds like you skipped the WiiU - Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Donkey Kong Country Freeze, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8. I played them on the WiiU, still great games on the Switch.

I'm not sure what kind of games you like. You can check out Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Bayonetta 2, Octopath Traveler.

PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 9:41 pm 
The Master

I'd also throw in other games not available on PS consoles (Ori and the Blind Forrest, Ori and Will of the Wisps, Hades, etc.)

PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 10:05 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Anders wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Revelator wrote:
I've had a serious jones to play Mario lately. I've been a Playstation guy probably since the late 90s when the first console debuted (and was still playing N64 at the time). As time went on I pretty much exclusively played PS for the past ~20 years or so.

I haven't played a Mario game since the N64 debut...and I loved every min of it, granted I was obviously much younger. It looks like there's a new mario game coming out this Friday that looks pretty impressive. I'm also considering getting into Breath of the Wild, having never really played a Zelda game before. Guess I'm just looking for something 'different' while Sony works to build the PS5 line up of games.

My question for the panel is, as someone who plays mostly 'mature' games these days (Last of Us, Red Dead, Resident Evil, basically any 3rd person adventure and some light RPG games), should I make the investment in a Switch? The platformers like Mario honestly look amazing and I've heard nothing by positive things about Breath of the Wild.

Looking to fill that empty spot on my entertainment center where the PS4 used to sit. Still have no real interest in an Xbox...

The core gameplay of pretty much every core Nintendo release is top notch, with systems that could work with any aesthetic. Mario and Zelda work for new players and old.

Just so you know, an OLD Mario game comes out on Friday - Super Mario 3D World. Odyssey is the most modern Mario.

Look forward to playing it. Is it like Galaxy and Odyssey? Can you rank the three?

That's how I would rank them too, but that speaks to the greatness of the others games more so than 3D World's faults. Bowser's Fury content being the unknown here.

Look forward to Galaxy 2 coming to the Switch. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun February 07, 2021 10:14 pm 
The Master

Anders wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Anders wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Revelator wrote:

Look forward to Galaxy 2 coming to the Switch. :thumbsup:

Between that and the long rumored Metroid Prime Trilogy HD remaster...

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2021 12:38 am 
AnalLog

Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Revelator wrote:

Roger that, thanks for the clarification. Obviously still in the midst of researching, will check out Odyssey as well now that you mention it...

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2021 12:40 am 
AnalLog

CopperTom wrote:
Revelator wrote:

Since it sounds like you skipped the WiiU - Super Mario Bros Deluxe, Donkey Kong Country Freeze, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8. I played them on the WiiU, still great games on the Switch.

I'm not sure what kind of games you like. You can check out Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Bayonetta 2, Octopath Traveler.

Thanks I was going to ask about Donkey Kong. I saw Freeze as the last big release, I used to play the shit out of Donkey Kong cCountry in the SNES days.

Post subject: Re: Animal Crossing New Horizons
PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2021 12:54 am 
Production Police

This was supposed to be the Switch thread

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2021 2:06 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Haven't picked up my Switch in a while. I'll probably play through Final Fantasy VIII again some time, though.

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2021 1:20 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Revelator wrote:

This is me exactly 11 months ago. BOTW and Odyssey are must plays. Get those 2 under your belt and report back in 6 months.

One thing i really dislike about the switch is how Nintendo prices their games. Sales are practically non-existent and 5 year old AAA games are still full price. I would try way more games if they were more affordable. My latest purchase was Mario 3D all stars so i can play the games from the GC and Wii that i missed.

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2021 1:51 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The double coupons help a bit, if you want two of the main games.

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2021 2:06 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Anders wrote:
The double coupons help a bit, if you want two of the main games.

not sure i'm familiar with this promo.

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2021 2:19 pm 
The Master

It's not uncommon to see digital and physical versions of Nintendo made games for 30 percent off or so. They rarely are cheaper, however. The flip side is they hold their resale value, so you can usually resell them for a pretty good return.

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2021 2:35 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
It's not uncommon to see digital and physical versions of Nintendo made games for 30 percent off or so. They rarely are cheaper, however. The flip side is they hold their resale value, so you can usually resell them for a pretty good return.

I suppose that's true, though those sales on core games are rare. I did get odyssey on a bit of a deal with a pro controller bundle (which i needed anyways).

That is a good point about resale though. I've been making an effort to buy as many on physical media as i can for switch for precisely this reason.

PostPosted: Mon February 08, 2021 3:03 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Literally only bought mine for breath of the wild.
Looking through their game store leaves me bewildered. No idea what to buy.
Will get mario odyssey next though but after that I’m lost

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2021 5:20 pm 
Champion of RM

Nintendo Direct will be tomorrow. Will focus on 2021 games. And so close to Zelda’s anniversary to boot.

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2021 5:21 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
Nintendo Direct will be tomorrow. Will focus on 2021 games. And so close to Zelda’s anniversary to boot.

First proper direct since Fall 2019. 2019!

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2021 6:04 pm 
Champion of RM

Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Now that SM3DW has been released, there are 0 1st party games on the release calendar. This could be an excellent Direct.

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2021 6:58 pm 
The Master

CopperTom wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

Now that SM3DW has been released, there are 0 1st party games on the release calendar. This could be an excellent Direct.

My predictions:

- New Smash DLC fighter (Crash Bandicoot; released on the day Crash 4 comes to Switch)
- Pokemon Snap update
- Hollow Knight - Silksong release date
- More indies (3-4 "featured" indies)
- Zelda Anniversary announcements (some sort of collection of past games, BoTW2 name and trailer)
- One more First Party game reveal for Summer release

PostPosted: Tue February 16, 2021 7:42 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Give me that Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 71  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment » Video Games