The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 128  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Home Improvement Thread
PostPosted: Wed December 23, 2020 2:01 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Bammer wrote:
It rained like a motherfucker here yesterday, and I went down to my crawlspace just to have a look. There is a lot of water pooled under the vapor barrier. Just a few little spots where it came up above the vapor barrier, I'm really not concerned about that. And I know the water will eventually (probably by today) slowly drain down grade on its own. But there was pooling of at least a couple inches ... from the top it kinda felt like a water bed.

Should I be concerned about this? Water pooling UNDER the vapor barrier?

Yes, I think you should be concerned.

We had an issue with our lawn irrigation system that saw some water getting under our vapor barrier -- this was due to the location of the manifold, and had nothing to do with our foundation.

I spoke with a plumber, and his take was that for the small amount of water, and the very dry climate we live in, he wasn't the least bit worried...

But yours sounds like it's possibly a crack in the foundation, and you're obviously in a much more humid climate. Better to get it checked out.

Because _________ will happen if water sits there?

I am no structural engineer, but my understanding is that setting your domicile on a swamp is not a good idea.

My concern is that this is a sign of hairline cracks in your foundation, which will only become more problematic (and definitely impact the resale value of your home).

Correct. Could indicate poor drainage as well. You might start seeing cracks in your sidewalk, driveway, foundation, patio's.....

just put a pan down there

Spoiler: show

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu December 24, 2020 4:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

You guys ruined bammer’s christmas

PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 7:03 am 
mXn

I went down there again this morning. No more pooling. Water drained out on its own.

The rain the other day was biblical.

PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 1:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

just make sure it dries out and so doesnt result in mold. you can put a fan on down there to help air it out

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 1:59 pm 
The Master

Another Xmas miracle

PostPosted: Fri December 25, 2020 3:21 pm 
mXn

Everything is fine

PostPosted: Sat December 26, 2020 6:56 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Gonna start referring to bammer as Mildewd

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 6:53 pm 
AnalLog

Having a red pine taken down and 3 big branches trimmed off a giant maple tree in a couple weeks. A bucket truck will be involved. Curious what you all would expect to pay for that in your neck of the woods.

(This fits in Home Improvement because the trees not falling on it improves our home.)

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:16 pm 
The Master

ghost wrote:
Having a red pine taken down and 3 big branches trimmed off a giant maple tree in a couple weeks. A bucket truck will be involved. Curious what you all would expect to pay for that in your neck of the woods.

(This fits in Home Improvement because the trees not falling on it improves our home.)

So one guy in the truck, one guy up in the bucket? Or is there a third guy on the ground? Sounds like a one day job for $2500.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:21 pm 
The Master

After four months of shopping, permitting, getting a custom heat pad build, site visits, etc, we are finally scheduled to have a wood stove installed on Thursday. This was supposed to happen a couple weeks ago, but when the guy showed up to cut a hole in our ceiling, he got up there and said "Uh-oh, we didn't realize we'd have to go through an eave. This will require a sub."

Sub comes out, bids it at $3500. That's more than the stove! We freak out, express our disappointment that they didn't catch this until the last stage despite our submitting plans for approval to the HOA (with the stove company's reviewing them), and two prior site visits by the install guy. So we balk, tell the stove people we're about ready to return the whole thing and get our money back...

Sub calls us back within a couple hours and says "Ok I can do the roof mod for $250, but you'll want to spend the other $3250 some day if you want it to look nice on the exterior." Lol. He comes and does the mod, it's virtually invisible from outside unless you're standing in one tight little corner between us and the neighbors.

We'll get it fixed up next summer probably, but wtf. They're all in cahoots, I tells ya.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:28 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
ghost wrote:

So one guy in the truck, one guy up in the bucket? Or is there a third guy on the ground? Sounds like a one day job for $2500.

Dang, is your roof guy doing tree work on the side? Way too high.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:33 pm 
The Master

ghost wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
ghost wrote:

i have no idea! I was just going off the assumption of 2-3 bodies and a truck for a full day.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:37 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:
ghost wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
ghost wrote:

i have no idea! I was just going off the assumption of 2-3 bodies and a truck for a full day.

:haha: Honestly, I'm surprised it's not closer to your number. When the same contractor was at our neighbor's house taking down a couple of pines last month, he had a bucket truck and a crew of at least six guys, plus a woodchipper there for several hours. He quoted us $700.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:40 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Yeah we had two huge pines taken down last year, no bucket, but a climber to top them and removal of all debris. Stumps left in the ground but I think we paid $800. Also, with tree removal, it is really important to have someone licensed and insured. If anything goes wrong, and they don't have it, your homeowner's insurance won't cover it either. A lot of people around here learn this lesson after every hurricane that comes through.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:43 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Yeah we had two huge pines taken down last year, no bucket, but a climber to top them and removal of all debris. Stumps left in the ground but I think we paid $800. Also, with tree removal, it is really important to have someone licensed and insured. If anything goes wrong, and they don't have it, your homeowner's insurance won't cover it either. A lot of people around here learn this lesson after every hurricane that comes through.

God forbid I shared this level of experience-based detail, you'd definitely hit me with a great big TRAG.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:44 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Can I take his word that he's licensed and insured if his business card says he is?

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:45 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

God forbid I shared this level of experience-based detail, you'd definitely hit me with a great big TRAG.

Yeah but what you usually talk about and what I am are like apples(honeycrisp) and oranges(seville)

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:46 pm 

ghost wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Can I take his word that he's licensed and insured if his business card says he is?

I guess? He could get in some trouble if he says he is and he isn't, right? Not sure on the law on that. Plus, you could probably google him.

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:47 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Yeah but what you usually talk about and what I am are like apples(honeycrisp) and oranges(seville)

ruddo

PostPosted: Tue January 19, 2021 7:48 pm 

tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

ruddo

You know you chuckled

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 128  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment