The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Black Crowes Thread
PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 12:36 pm 
Major Dude

Strat wrote:
I love the songwriting period with Luther but not as much with him live. The band felt a little less punchy - though finely aged.

Honestly when I saw them again with Jessie green that felt a bit more like the crows of old. Much dirtier. Much more intense. I was really really hoping they’d write and record with him in the band.

Jackie Greene? I saw them on that tour. He is a BMF. I’ve seen him sit in with the Allmans and Gov’t Mule.

PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 12:38 pm 
The Master

wease wrote:
Strat wrote:
I love the songwriting period with Luther but not as much with him live. The band felt a little less punchy - though finely aged.

Honestly when I saw them again with Jessie green that felt a bit more like the crows of old. Much dirtier. Much more intense. I was really really hoping they’d write and record with him in the band.

Jackie Greene? I saw them on that tour. He is a BMF. I’ve seen him sit in with the Allmans and Gov’t Mule.

Lol. Yes. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 1:44 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Superblood Wolfmoon wrote:
Before the Frost...Until the Freeze should be listened to as it is on the vinyl double album

correct

PostPosted: Sat June 13, 2020 10:58 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Croweology - I went into this thinking it would just be something extra to sorta listen through, but again pleasantly shocked, as it were, since this could very well be my favorite release of theirs. The stripped down versions are full of soul and you can really parse out the instrumentation. Some of these versions are just stunning. Remedy, Soul Singing, Ballad in Urgency (holy crap!), Wiser Time, Morning Song, Thorn in My Pride, Girl From a Pawnshop...this right here is the highlight of this whole damn journey. They just kill it with extended versions that highlight each and every little piece of these songs. It’s a release like this that reminds me that they are/were better than I ever have them credit for. Too bad this was their last run in the studio but at least they did something different and creative with the songs they had that actually expanded your understanding of their catalogue rather than simply reminding everyone of their greatest hits. I will listen to the last live album next to finish off this journey but this release was worth the whole thing.

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 2:47 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Wiser For the Time - this half acoustic/half electric live album was an interesting listen. Perhaps due to running straight through, the acoustic half seemed mostly redundant or excessive in light of following Until the Freeze and Croweology, but that’s a matter it too much of a good thing than anything else. There are a few really strong performances on the acoustic half, including Better When You’re Not Alone, Hotel Illness, and Soul Singing, bit for me this live album really took off on the electric half - like a strong reminder that they are quite great when plugged in too. Exit is like an adrenaline shot in that regard and it continues basically straight through to the end with great performances on top of one another. One might have issues (I don’t) with the jammier nature of the performances with Luther Dickinson, but that run of No Speak No Slave, Only Halfway to Everywhere, A Conspiracy, Title Song, My Morning Song —> Stare It Cold —> My Morning Song, Tied Up and Swallowed, and Make Glad was my favorite stretch of this. A very solid release, though admittedly I am a little full when it comes to the Crowes at the moment.

In terms of the larger picture, I think it’s pretty evident that this was an excellent journey that touches upon a band with an excellent high point that lasted most of the 90s, and then a great second wave with Warpaint and Before the Frost...Until the Freeze. It also surprised me that Croweology, a re-recording of selections of their material, would bring me some of the greatest excitement here. Each of these albums had some strong value to it, with really By Your Side being the only album that didn’t feel essential to the listening experience (along with the first live album). I certainly gained a greater appreciation for this band and their ability to extend their creativity not just to their new songs but constantly breathe new life into their classic work as well. Seems to me that the Black Crowes may never exist again as they were largely constructed - save for the occasional cash in tour - but they certainly gave us a lot with their time.

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 3:28 pm 

Exit should have been on Amorica. Thanks Chris.

PostPosted: Wed June 17, 2020 2:18 pm 

wease wrote:
I know some of you have read Gorman’s book. If you haven’t yet, do so. I read it a couple weeks back and it’s fantastic.

I finished it last night. It skipped all the stuff I didn't care about (everyone's childhood trauma and the minutiae of being a rock star junkie) and just gave us band history and loads of shit talking. It was perfect.

PostPosted: Tue September 01, 2020 6:56 pm 
Future Drummer

So much Black Crowes gold being released on this channel. Full shows, great versions of songs in studio settings.

PostPosted: Fri September 04, 2020 12:03 am 
Major Dude

bada wrote:
wease wrote:
I know some of you have read Gorman’s book. If you haven’t yet, do so. I read it a couple weeks back and it’s fantastic.

I finished it last night. It skipped all the stuff I didn't care about (everyone's childhood trauma and the minutiae of being a rock star junkie) and just gave us band history and loads of shit talking. It was perfect.

Yeah. It pretty much was.

PostPosted: Sat September 05, 2020 12:04 am 
The Master

Why would you skip all the fun stuff? also that was a majority of the book. And also is the good explanation for all the chaos!

Anywho.....

Picked up Lions on Vinyl. I have a soft spot for this record. its super hit or miss but this was near the peak of my fandom.

PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 4:58 pm 
Future Drummer

The bastards, looks like they'll be going the 30th anniversary route of deluxe sets of their albums. The haven't even finished re-releasing their catalogue on vinyl. I can pass on the Shake Your Money Maker set that was just announced but the next two or three will probably take me for a fool.

PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 11:33 pm 
The Master

surfndestroy wrote:
The bastards, looks like they'll be going the 30th anniversary route of deluxe sets of their albums. The haven't even finished re-releasing their catalogue on vinyl. I can pass on the Shake Your Money Maker set that was just announced but the next two or three will probably take me for a fool.

What other albums are you waiting for on vinyl?

I guess i haven't looked into Warpaint but i got that years back. I would love Croweology. Other than that ....

PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 11:42 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

I guess i haven't looked into Warpaint but i got that years back. I would love Croweology. Other than that ....

Croweology, Lost Crowes and Lions. Wouldn't mind Freak n Roll. Will pass on By Your Side.

PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 11:47 pm 
The Master

surfndestroy wrote:
Strat wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

Croweology, Lost Crowes and Lions. Wouldn't mind Freak n Roll. Will pass on By Your Side.

Ah yes, lost crowes.

I have lions. Want it? It sucks. Just kidding. Kind of.

I love By Your Side though. I got heavily into the crowes around the summer of 98 so that was the first crowes release i anticipated and at that time it hit me right in that summer sweet spot.

Doesnt hold up but has a couple great tunes.

Definitely want Freak n Roll.

PostPosted: Fri January 08, 2021 11:57 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
I have lions. Want it? It sucks. Just kidding. Kind of.

I love By Your Side though. I got heavily into the crowes around the summer of 98 so that was the first crowes release i anticipated and at that time it hit me right in that summer sweet spot. Doesnt hold up but has a couple great tunes.

Definitely want Freak n Roll.

BYS is Crowes at their worst to me. Like they realized all the opportunities they had to be big that they blew and tried to make a commercial album to make up for that. Not what I want from them in any many, even though I like some of the songs.

Lions has some really good songs and is them trying something new while still being true to themselves.

PostPosted: Sat January 09, 2021 12:16 am 
Rank This Poster

I'm a fan of the new tune

PostPosted: Sun February 14, 2021 12:35 am 
AnalLog

Had no idea this had gotten leaked...how stuff like this just got dropped while shit like Whoa Mule and There's Gold in Them Hills made Warpaint drives me crazy

PostPosted: Sun February 14, 2021 5:30 am 
mXn

I grabbed a burger at 5 Guys recently and they were rocking Black Crowes overhead :bammer:

PostPosted: Fri February 26, 2021 7:57 pm 
Future Drummer

The live album as part of the Shake Your Money Maker box set is spectacular. Muscular, soulful and tight. Hope my neighbours are going to enjoy this album as much as I am.

PostPosted: Fri February 26, 2021 11:01 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

surfndestroy wrote:
The live album as part of the Shake Your Money Maker box set is spectacular. Muscular, soulful and tight. Hope my neighbours are going to enjoy this album as much as I am.

Can’t wait to hear that!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 760 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands